What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Now we'll never know > 1990s (or 80's) fiction about college guy who gets drafted into an elite secret society, and there is a suicide

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is an audiobook I listened to around 1995 or so, which means the book is most likely from the late 80's to early or mid 90's.

It's about a college boy (I think he has a roommate) who gets drafted into an elite secret society that was named after a number (the 7's, or the 11's, I think). There is a lot of suspense and mystery in the book.

Someone commits suicide by jumping off a high tower that is a central feature of campus (I think the roommate), but the main character solves it as a murder because the jumper didn't take off his prescription glasses, so that mean he must have been pushed.

I remember really liking this book, but I have no idea what it was called and google has been no help after half an hour of searching.

Anyone? :)

The Reading Raccoon (readingraccoon) | 145 comments So kind of like the movie Skulls?

message 3: by Fiona (new)

Fiona H | 23 comments It sounds like The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Wikipedia has a fairly detailed plot summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sec....

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It was kind of like Skulls, a bit. It could be The Secret History (thanks, Fiona!), but I am not sure. I don't know if the book had anything about being homosexual in it, or if that just went over my head because I was in 4th grade when I listened to it.

I remember the name of the secret society was definitely some kind of number, like the 7's or the 11's, because everything the group had was branded with that number. I think I remember something about top hats, and something with that number was how the new guy was told he was being inducted.

I know the main character did fib about where he came from and the circumstances of his growing up, and that he was obsessed with the secret society, so those two pieces fit.

I'm going to read The Secret History to see if that's the one. Might take a few weeks since the library has it on hold, but I'll post here if it's the one!

message 5: by Andria (last edited May 25, 2018 12:46PM) (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
The Secret History was the first thing that came to my mind, also. But I'll throw this out, too. The Lords of Discipline has a secret society called "The Ten" and there's a scene where someone attempts suicide by jumping off a building on campus.

message 6: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments I believe this is actually Fell Back by M. E. Kerr. The main character is trying to solve the mystery of a student dying falling from a tower and there is a secret society called the Sevens.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Andria and Adele--both books sound like they could be the one, too. I am going to read all three suggested and will post back. I can't thank you guys enough for the suggestions!

message 8: by ``Laurie (last edited Jun 07, 2018 02:49PM) (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments Here's another book for your consideration:

Waking the Moon by Elizabeth Hand

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40672 comments Mod
OP's account deleted. Moving to NWNK.