Archive: Other Books > The Scribe of Sienna - Winawer - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3106 comments The Scribe of Siena by Melodie Winawer
The Scribe of Siena - Winawer
Audio performance by Cassandra Campbell
3 stars

There were a lot of things to like about this time travel romance. The historical setting was so interesting; 14th century Sienna! I’d never been to this particular literary destination. For that matter part of the book takes place in contemporary Sienna. Not at all a bad place to visit. Too bad neurosurgeon Beatrice Travato, the female protagonist, is visiting under such sad circumstances. Her brother, a respected historian, has died. She has inherited his house in Sienna and his unfinished research project; an investigation of Sienna during the Black Plague of the 14th century.

You can see where this is going. And she does go. To 14th century Sienna, where she becomes a Scribe for the Sisters who run the local ‘hospital’. She also falls in love with the sexy Gabrielli Accorsi who just happens to be painting a mural on the wall of the hospital.

There were a lot of things to like, but despite its potential, the book wasn’t very exciting. And, it wasn’t believable. Time travel books are by nature unbelievable, but if there is enough adventure and suspense, the reader doesn’t have time to worry about it. I liked the characters in both timelines. I thought the evil characters were appropriately vicious. But the story moved too slowly. I had too much time to think about how it couldn’t possibly happen.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9343 comments This book has been on my radar for a while. But the three doesn't compel, and time travel is never my favorite thing. Do you think I'd like it?

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3106 comments I think its a good beach or pool side read.

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6856 comments That is a shame, your description of the book immediately grabbed me. It sounds like my kind of book. I'm trying these days to stick with 4 star reads, but a beach read book comes in handy once in a while.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9343 comments Heading into summer - let’s do it!