Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Room - Emma Donoghue 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lynm) | 376 comments This book caught my attention a few years ago when the movie was first out and nominated for all those awards. I never did see the movie, but did add the book to my want to read list. I thought I knew what the book was about, but I wasn't quite right. While it is a horrifying story, it is also a compelling story. I am glad it was narrated by 5 year old Jack, otherwise the emotions would have been unbearable. I liked the way Donoghue touched on the emotions and reactions of the people that interact with Ma and Jack after they make it Outside. It's an interesting look at how accepting some people can be and how judgemental others can be.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Sorry you didn’t like it more. I loved it, and the film.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I also loved this book. It is so heartbreaking because things like this happen to women way more often that we like to think. It seems like the book was released not long after one such case...maybe the three women in Ohio? There was also a similar case where the woman was discovered no long before that as well. I read Room because I wanted insight to that horrible situation but I couldn't even read a news article about the real life women without dissolving into tears.

And, I haven't had the heart to watch the movie...

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Maybe I didn't read it when it first came out....I must have just read it after one of these horrific stories came to light.

message 5: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Sad you didn't love this. I loved it and the movie. Both definitely tearjerkers for me.

Nicole, you're probably thinking of the Cleveland kidnappings- 3 woman. They all wrote books of "survivorship" and their stories, and were hard to read, but very worthwhile. Finding Me: A Decade of Darkness, a Life Reclaimed - A Memoir of the Cleveland Kidnappings and Hope: A Memoir of Survival in Cleveland. Particularly sad because these girls were pitted against each other, and because of that- one girl wrote her own, and the other two wrote a book together. You can tell the strain in their relationship even as survivors of the same trama.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I think Room was loosely based on the Fritzl case?

message 7: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7463 comments Susie wrote: "I think Room was loosely based on the Fritzl case?"

That's what I heard. Very loosely based, though. I read about it. Donahue was thinking about those children who had never been anywhere but that room and it sparked the idea for this book. This is why it had to be narrated by Jack.

message 8: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lynm) | 376 comments Susie wrote: "Sorry you didn’t like it more. I loved it, and the film."

I liked it, I just didn't love it. I thought it was a good book about a difficult subject. I'm glad I read it. I had read "Secrets in the Cellar" a few years ago, about the Fritzl case, and remember being appalled and amazed by what that man had done. Donoghue did a really good job of telling the story from the most innocent victims viewpoint.