Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > June Perspective

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (last edited May 28, 2018 08:22PM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
June is Pride month in the US. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month (LGBT Pride Month) is currently celebrated each year in the month of June to honor the 1969 Stonewall riots in Manhattan.

Here at Reading 1001 we will be celebrating pride month by reading 1001 books written by LGBTQ+ authors or about LGBTQ+ protagonists. Here are the three books the admins selected:
Written on the Body
The Lost Language of Cranes
A Boy's Own Story
Tipping the Velvet: Group nominee

Now it’s your turn to nominate a book for the final slot. Nominations close Sunday night when the randomizer will pick the winner

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments One of my favorites is Colm Toibin- I've read all his on the list, but I'd like to nominate The Master.

I've had The Lost Language of Cranes on my shelf for a long time- I'm looking forward to it!

message 3: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1540 comments I have never read Kiss of the Spiderwoman and really should. I would also like to read The Master as recommended by Tracy.

message 4: by Sushicat (last edited May 25, 2018 09:54PM) (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments I never got around to Giovanni's Room. I’ll nominate that.

message 5: by Pip (last edited Jun 13, 2018 06:49PM) (new)

Pip | 1481 comments I shall listen to Edmund White's A Boy's Own Story as it is available on Audible.

message 6: by Paula (last edited May 25, 2018 12:51AM) (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 220 comments There's quite a lot to choose from this month, and I nominate
Tipping the Velvet – Sarah Waters

message 7: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments I own, and have been meaning to read for a while, The Swimming-Pool Library

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I recently read Middlesex, and that would fit the theme too.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments I would like to read all three of these. I nominate one of my favorites: The Passion by Jeanette Winterson.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I nominate The Master.

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1315 comments Mod
So many good choices this month. I love Jeanette Winterson's writing so I will probably read Written on the Body. But I look forward to seeing what else gets selected as there are many good nominations. I enjoyed Kiss of the Spiderwoman and Middlesex is on my TBR challenge.

message 12: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments Kelly wrote: "I nominate The Master."

Tracy already nominated it.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Diane wrote: "I would like to read all three of these. I nominate one of my favorites: The Passion by Jeanette Winterson."

That one looks very interesting.

message 14: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments I have the first two available on Overdrive.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
And the winner is...

Tipping the Velvet

Congrats to Paula S whose nominee was selected by the randomizer.

message 16: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments Fun! I’ve been meaning to read that for ages.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I may try for three or four of these this month! Great choices.

message 18: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 220 comments :)

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Kelly wrote: "I finished A Boy's Own Story. On to The Lost Language of Cranes"

Ditto. :)

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1315 comments Mod
Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson
4/5 stars

"Love is worth it."

The story is about two lovers; one whose name is Louise and the other we do not know name or gender. Since I have already read Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by the author I assumed going into the story that the un-named lover was female. As the story progressed I changed my mind and decided the lover was male but by the end of the book I thought for sure female. I think this is what the author was going for ambiguity in relationships and feelings. I think this is a book that would benefit from reading in one sitting, which I did not do. I thought the last half of the book was the best for me, I finally got emotionally attached to the characters.

“I have fallen in love with a woman who is married. She has fallen in love with me. I am committed to someone else. How shall I know whether Louise is what I must do or must avoid.”

message 22: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Read and reviewed The Lost Language of Cranes for my second book.

message 23: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments Diane wrote: "Read and reviewed The Lost Language of Cranes for my second book."
Me, too. But it was my first book. And it was a good one!

message 24: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1481 comments Will we have a June discussion post soon?

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I finished Lost Language of Cranes for my second book.

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Finished Written on the Body for my third book.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Finished Tipping the Velvet for my third book. Liked this one best of all three, so far.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Diane wrote: "Finished Written on the Body for my third book."

How was it? I have it in my stack, from the library.

message 29: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Kelly wrote: "Diane wrote: "Finished Written on the Body for my third book."

How was it? I have it in my stack, from the library."

Very good.

message 30: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1540 comments I finished A Boy's Own Story. I can't say that it was entirely enjoyable but it seemed to capture the truth of growing up with conflicting expectations and desires. Also, although it is a novel, it is clearly very autobiographical and has very sure handed and beautiful descriptions which I suspect could only have come from someone that suffered but came out the other side strong and very self aware.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Gail wrote: "I finished A Boy's Own Story. I can't say that it was entirely enjoyable but it seemed to capture the truth of growing up with conflicting expectations and desires. Also, although it..."

I felt much the same. I recommended it to my son (he is LGBTQIA). I hope he will read it and let me know how he feels about it.

message 32: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
So I thought I posted a discussion for this month but don't see it anywhere. I posted it from NYC and was having a tough time connected to wi-fi

So, you will get all there points for this month as long as you have posted your review. I'll try reposting the discussion but won't require you respond to them since I'm sure some people will miss the questions.

message 33: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1481 comments I have been looking for the discussion questions all month because Edmund White's book was a fascinating read.

message 34: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Pip wrote: "I have been looking for the discussion questions all month because Edmund White's book was a fascinating read."

Yes, sorry. Don’t know what happened this month. I could have sworn it posted but I couldn’t find it anywhere. I reposted some questions in the other thread.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Pip wrote: "I have been looking for the discussion questions all month because Edmund White's book was a fascinating read."

I read three of the four and they were all great!