Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gerry (last edited May 24, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

Gerry This one has been on my to-read list since about 1980, when I took a college course on the Modern British Novel that included Waugh's A Handful of Dust. Joining this group just in time for Family Drama month gave me the impetus to finally sit down with it.

I LOVED IT!

Brideshead Revisited drew me in from the first few pages, which is actually not all that common in novels written before the TV age. Through his college friendship with the alcoholic Sebastian, the main character, Charles Ryder, witnesses the ongoing drama of a troubled upper-class family with estranged parents, damaged siblings and the sometimes comforting, sometimes disturbing influence of their Catholic faith.

Ryder is not necessarily likeable, and neither are most members of the above-mentioned Marchmain clan, but the reader cannot help feeling sympathy for them as they all try to navigate the rapid social changes in Great Britain between the world wars. Five stars.

message 2: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments The perfect review. It doesn't give too much but makes sure I feel like reading it :)

One of my most favourite books this year was Waugh's 'Vile Bodies', and it was so enjoyable that I was going to try some more of his books in the near future. Brideshead Revisited will have to be one of the early ones

message 3: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Idit wrote: "The perfect review. It doesn't give too much but makes sure I feel like reading it :) Thanks Idit.

One of my most favourite books this year was Waugh's 'Vile Bodies', and it was so enjoyable that I was going t..."

message 4: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 816 comments Good review! This is one of my favorite books also. Such human fallible characters and a tragic love story. And family drama - oh such much! I love both TV adaptations - the 1981 miniseries and the 2008 movie - also. When a friend and I visited York, England a few years ago, we made a point to go to Castle Howard where they were both filmed.

message 5: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Doughgirl5562 wrote: "Good review! This is one of my favorite books also. Such human fallible characters and a tragic love story. And family drama - oh such much! I love both TV adaptations - the 1981 miniseries and the..."

Thanks Doughgirl. I also enjoy reading Graham Greene, a very different sort of writer, but a contemporary of Waugh.