Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Rise of Empire [June 12, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

message 2: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7854 comments I'm in!

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments hmm, I didn't like the second book(and by second I mean if you cut these 2 huge books into 4 parts like it was originall planned), but I got a lot out of the first book. Sure, I'll give this series another shot.

message 5: by Sedat (new)

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments Heyoo! I'm gonna be here and finish it in 2 days :P

message 6: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments In as well :)

message 7: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Aaannnd I started it a bit early and it's just as fun as the first one :) However, and that's only a spoiler for Theft of swords, I thought (view spoiler)

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments you know, I made habit in the last 2 weeks of signing up for a lot and deciding what to drop later. I got way too much going on right now, as it was more of a "sure why not?" than anything else. Moving on.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Started it today. Chapter 1 is so depressing.

message 10: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments This one gets pretty sad. Still considering a reread, but first I need to finish my reread of Avempartha...

message 11: by Sedat (new)

Sedat Yıldız | 263 comments I'm gonna need more time finishing a couple of books before starting this, but I'm hoping you turtles will wait for me here :))

message 12: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments chapter 5 already; I like that he makes the characters more complex and less straightforward (save Arista who remains an idiot).

message 13: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Arista is SUCH an idiot indeed ! I don't remember her being that stupid in the first part of book 1 though, quite the opposite.

message 14: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments I'll be here tmrw :)

message 15: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7854 comments Elinor wrote: "Arista is SUCH an idiot indeed ! I don't remember her being that stupid in the first part of book 1 though, quite the opposite."

Same!! She just got progressively more stupid.

message 16: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7854 comments I made a start today, bit confused already but that's probably because I'm attempting audio again. Through chapter 3 - (view spoiler)

message 17: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Siobhan wrote: "I made a start today, bit confused already but that's probably because I'm attempting audio again. Through chapter 3 - [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7854 comments Elinor wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "I made a start today, bit confused already but that's probably because I'm attempting audio again. Through chapter 3 - [spoilers removed]"
[spoilers removed]"

Thanks so much, Elinor! Can't believe I forgot all that already! 🙈🙈

message 19: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments You're welcome ! ^^ I did had to think about it, I kind of forgot about it too before it came back to me ^^

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Just finished book 3. I liked it. I like Arista. The Thrace chapters felt pointless and like fillers. On to book 4.

message 21: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I also finished book 3. I hate Arista. She makes me hate the book too. I literally needed a break after each chapter with her POV. Why oh why does her narrative dominate this book? I want more Hadrian and Royce bromance! I am taking a break now and I'll read the Reaper at the Gates to compensate for this silly femlae.

message 22: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Jun 14, 2018 06:42AM) (new)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm about 20% through book 4. It's Royce and Haddie at sea. I hate when fantasies take their land loving characters to sea. I've found myself zoning a lot. This might be my least fav Riyria book so far.

And I was going to say at least there's little Arista in it for you, except (view spoiler)

message 23: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments I hate sea gigs, there was only one exception to the rule (The Fox).

message 24: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Timelord Iain | 17885 comments Mod
Siobhan wrote: "I made a start today, bit confused already but that's probably because I'm attempting audio again. Through chapter 3 - [spoilers removed]"

Yea... from what I remember, (view spoiler)

message 25: by Mayim (last edited Jun 14, 2018 07:56AM) (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Siobhan wrote: "I made a start today, bit confused already but that's probably because I'm attempting audio again. Through chapter 3 - [spoilers removed]"

but to be honest (view spoiler) I had to suspend my reasoning at that moment.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Mayim wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "I made a start today, bit confused already but that's probably because I'm attempting audio again. Through chapter 3 - [spoilers removed]"

but to be honest [spoilers removed] I had..."

I was questioning that, too. It was just making things worse. Made no sense.

message 27: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Mayim wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "I made a start today, bit confused already but that's probably because I'm attempting audio again. Through chapter 3 - [spoilers removed]"

but to be honest [spoilers removed] I had..."

MJS has to show us how EVIL the Church is..... muhahahaha... you get the idea :D

message 28: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Iain wrote: "Mayim wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "I made a start today, bit confused already but that's probably because I'm attempting audio again. Through chapter 3 - [spoilers removed]"

but to be honest [spoilers ..."

Yep. Wait. No. Not really. It only showed that they are irredeemably stupid. And this is sad because where is there a merit in besting an idiot of an enemy?

message 29: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments #VillainLogic

message 30: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Virginie wrote: "#VillainLogic"

THIS... any villain that twirls his mustache and says muhahaha is over the top and generally stupid :D

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Iain wrote: "Virginie wrote: "#VillainLogic"

THIS... any villain that twirls his mustache and says muhahaha is over the top and generally stupid :D"

I must have skimmed over that scene. Will have to circle back for it.

message 32: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Iain wrote: "Virginie wrote: "#VillainLogic"

THIS... any villain that twirls his mustache and says muhahaha is over the top and generally stupid :D"

I must have skimmed over that scene. Will have..."

I was exaggerating... but the Church has always seemed like an over-the-top evil... considering the lengths and centuries they've gone to wrest control of the world from the kings...

message 33: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7854 comments Haha I'm glad you're all as baffled by the filthy cell as I was! XD it's a bit ridiculous!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Iain wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Iain wrote: "Virginie wrote: "#VillainLogic"

I must have skimmed..."

I know. I was just kidding around :-)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Arista- about 70% through Rise of Empire. (view spoiler)

message 36: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Iain wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Iain wrote: "Virginie wrote: "#VillainLogic"

I must..."

Didn't want you digging around wondering where the scene was if you really skimmed... I hate when I think I missed something and can't find it...

message 37: by Mayim (last edited Jun 14, 2018 10:03AM) (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Arista- about 70% through Rise of Empire. She has the cheesies..."

wait for it (view spoiler) it's only my assumption though

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Mayim wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Arista- about 70% through Rise of Empire. She has the cheesies..."

wait for it [spoilers removed] it's only my assumption though"

Oh, I forgot about that. (view spoiler)

message 39: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments Just starting this....

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Just finished.

(view spoiler)

Over all 3 stars. This book was mediocre at best.

message 41: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

I read story 3 and paused to go back to Night Angel #2...

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7854 comments Zaara Gut Siscourator wrote: "Just starting this...."

I'm only about 20% in, Zaara :)

message 43: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Finally finished my reread for Theft of Swords. Thinking I might go ahead and start a reread of this, though I'm sure that will be very slow as well.

I just love these books so much. The first two were even better on reread than I remembered.

message 44: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

I finished book 3 a few days ago, and took a break... came back and read book 4 this morning... my earlier comments feel prophetic...

I liked the 3rd book in this set more than the 4th, even if there was the believability issues...

(view spoiler)

MJS really likes ending books this way, doesn't he? (view spoiler)

The ending here felt a little cliffhanger-y...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Iain wrote: "I finished book 3 a few days ago, and took a break... came back and read book 4 this morning... my earlier comments feel prophetic...

I liked the 3rd book in this set more than the 4th, even if th..."

I agree that I liked book 3 better than book 4. I really liked Arista more in book 4 though. I feel like she's coming into her own and I expect some great showing from her in the next book. Also, I think all of the books have been a little cliffhangery. You just notice it more in books 2 and 4 since the next one isn't right there.

message 46: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Mayim wrote: "I hate sea gigs, there was only one exception to the rule (The Fox)."

No one can beat Red Seas Under Red Skies on that matter for me.

message 47: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Woww..(view spoiler)

Why is the second book always boring? There are many great things ought to happen yet the 4th book was snail-paced drama story.
Waiting for Heir of Novron BR.

message 48: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Beste wrote: "Woww..[spoilers removed]

Why is the second book always boring? There are many great things ought to happen yet the 4th book was snail-paced drama story.
Waiting for Heir of Novron..."

Yea... the omnibuses feed up a mix of good and bad each time...

I want to see how it all ends, tho... I wonder if it'll all be happy, or there are plans to eventually write another series set years down the line, like he's writing the series 3000yrs ago and 1000yrs ago...

message 49: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Iain wrote: "Beste wrote: "Woww..[spoilers removed]

Waiting for [book:Heir of No..."

I don't think he will drag the story. He does it other way around as it seems. Conclude and tell the backup story.. And he does it beautifully I think. He made me curious of Chronicles with giving little bits and pieces like what happened with Arcadius. How he united Royce and Hadrian.

message 50: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments Many spoilers coming....
Shivooooorn.....for yooooo

« previous 1