Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Mad Lancers (Gods of Blood and Powder, #0.1)
This topic is about The Mad Lancers
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Mad Lancers [Sept 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments In for more Ben Styke!

thanks, Scott.

message 3: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 460 comments whaaaa new book???

message 4: by Sebastian (last edited May 26, 2018 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sebastian | 26 comments I am in, too.
@ Quinn: It is only a Novella to keep us warm during the long wait...

message 5: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 460 comments Sebastian wrote: "I am in, too.
@ Quinn: It is only a Novella to keep us warm during the long wait..."

Sigh oh well I bet it will be worth it

Sebastian | 26 comments There are also 2 Short Story collections. I read one already which included the Ghost of Tristan Basin. I think I will do the other one in August, when I am on Vacation (not sure, if BR is possible then, because of WiFi connection).

message 7: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1951 comments In!

Loriidae | 305 comments Starting as it is the weekend! I loved the Powder Mage trilogy

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Starting either tomorrow or Monday. Glad this is a short one!

message 10: by Sebastian (last edited Sep 01, 2018 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sebastian | 26 comments Great, I thought I would be the last to start. I will beginn right now.
@Silvana: Your schedule is already full?

Sebastian | 26 comments Man, it is really short. I am already 40% in. It gets over the top violent. Kind of what you expect from a Ben Stykes Novella. I am a it ashemed to say I am lovingit, but... I do! ;)

message 12: by Sebastian (last edited Sep 01, 2018 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sebastian | 26 comments Finished. Took me 2 hours. (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Sebastian, yes I am behind two BRs right now since I did not expect holidays would significantly slow me down :(

Over the top violent huh? Did not expect that from McClellan. Or maybe I am already so jaded.

Loriidae | 305 comments Finished: Overall, I liked it. I agree with Sebastian's spoiler as to the depth of the story. I hope this is a setup of character set etc for Sins of the Empire that I see you have read already, looking forward to delving into that one.

message 15: by Silvana (last edited Sep 02, 2018 08:15AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Just started. Pretty sure it is not a spoiler but just in case...(view spoiler)

Edit: Never mind, after reading up to 30% I got the answer. Maybe I should reread the Powder Mage trilogy.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Finished. I am pretty disappointed with this one. (view spoiler)

2 stars and agree this is not worth the money, better save it for the next Gods novel.

message 17: by Sebastian (last edited Sep 02, 2018 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sebastian | 26 comments @Loriidae: Yes, Stykes is a main character from the second triology. But, as it is stated at the beginning of the book, it is 12 years earlier and you see a different, but recognizable Mad Ben Stykes in these books.
@Silvana: I did not do a BR since May. I normally can't keep up with the average reading speed, when I am not on vacation. But if you are planning to reread the first triology, I would like to join in. That said; Stykes was not in the first books.

Choko (chokog) | 7688 comments I am new to this trilogy and feel terrible for the (view spoiler)

I would like to know more about that awesome giant 😊

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments @Sebastian: Sure. I have no opening yet until next year, though. Still have more than 60 books unread and I tend to buy more books whenever there's discount 😆

message 20: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1951 comments Got to this late. Nothing special, but nice to have a little history and setup for the Mad Lancers we see in the main book, but really no new insights on any of characters except Jackal's origin, really.

Sebastian | 26 comments Well, I forgot that Jackal was in the books. I would have liked it better, if Ibana played a more important role. I think there are some stories left to tell.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Jackal's my fave part of the book, and that's because of the back story. See, this novella would have been better if it has more (new) meat for us to chew.

Choko (chokog) | 7688 comments I think I liked it the way it is is because I have not read anything in the series yet. I loved the old dude though 😀

message 24: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1951 comments Choko wrote: "I think I liked it the way it is is because I have not read anything in the series yet. I loved the old dude though 😀"

Have you read the original Powder Mage Trilogy yet?

message 25: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1951 comments For those interested, we have a separate folder set up for all of the earlier Powder Mage short stories. Going to take it nice and slow as a fill-in between all of our other buddy reads starting this Sunday.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_folder/345283?group_id=192999