What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 90s YA Dystopian fantasy in which sex is banned but a teen girl falls in love and gets pregnant

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sona (new)

Sona (sona_c) | 3 comments Read this sometime in the 90s -- I think it was marketed as YA even then. In a dystopian world, sex was banned and procreation automated (I don't recall how), but there was a teen girl who fell in love and ended up pregnant.

message 3: by Sona (new)

Sona (sona_c) | 3 comments Hi! No, it was a 90s YA specifically. But thank you.

Jessica wrote: "Brave New World?"

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments I tried looking up pregnancy books from the '90s, but came up with zilch.

Did you read this in the USA?

message 6: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 956 comments Is there any other details you remember about the book? Don't be afraid of spoilers!

This isn't it but a similarish book is The First Principle The First Principle (Emancipation Warriors, #1) by Marissa Shrock .

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirteenth Annual Collection The Year's Best Science Fiction Thirteenth Annual Collection by Gardner Dozois - this one has a story about AI's taking over and decreasing the birthrate? (They Have All One Breath, by Karl Bunker)

Maybe try checking these lists:
Teen Pregnancy

YA Sex and Pregnancy Novels

message 7: by Sona (new)

Sona (sona_c) | 3 comments Thanks for your help guys. I think the author may have been something clayborn or Claiburne but extensive search is coming up with nothing, alas.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Might also try spellings Claiborne, Claybourne, Clayburn, etc.

message 9: by SparksofEmber (last edited Jan 04, 2019 12:57PM) (new)

SparksofEmber | 956 comments Do you remember what happens after she gets pregnant? Does she end up on the run?

Could it have been something by Jo Clayton?

message 10: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 10 comments Son by Lois Lowry?

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Wasn't it artificial insemination in Son?

message 12: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 10 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Wasn't it artificial insemination in Son?"

Yep you are right for some reason i didnt read the description correctly :)

message 14: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking, Sona?

I'm really curious to know what this book is.

message 15: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Just did another deep dive trying to find this book. To be honest, there isn't that much 20th century sci-fi with teen girl MCs to begin with, let alone ones who might get pregnant in dystopian cities.

Winter of Fire doesn't seem futuristic enough. Portal to E'Ewere doesn't appear to involve pregnancy. Shade's Children does have some sex, but I don't think there's pregnancy. Red Zone has scant info, but there are two teens in love. I Feel Like the Morning Star has multiple MCs, no clue about pregnancy. The Patchwork People also has teens in love, but the society may not be oppressive enough.

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 214 comments It’s a long shot because it’s too recent, but Eve?