Play Book Tag discussion

A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway, #5)
This topic is about A Dying Fall
Archive: Other Books > A Dying Fall by Elly Griffiths - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited May 24, 2018 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

annapi | 5159 comments Ruth receives news that an old college friend, Dan Golding, died in a fire. Shortly thereafter, she receives a letter from him, asking to consult on an archeological find that he considers ground-breaking. Can his death be connected? His college then asks her to come to Blackpool to study the bones that he found, and Ruth agrees. Coincidentally, DI Nelson is going on vacation, and he decides to go to Blackpool to visit his old friend Sandy, who is in charge of the murder/arson investigation. Ruth and Nelson run afoul of a local white supremacist group that seems to have a stake in Dan's discovery as well.

This was another good mystery with an intriguing premise on the King Arthur legend. I got lost in the red herrings, they were well placed and had good explanations for them, and so did not guess whodunnit. The author is mixing things up as well with setting aside one minor character and replacing him with another. I'm reserving judgement on whether that is a good idea or not, and am looking forward to seeing how that will go.

ShazM | 389 comments I like this series largely because I think Ruth is an engaging character, plenty of human flaws and anxieties to identify with, but also because of the fascinating historical backgrounds.

annapi | 5159 comments Yes, I agree, I'm really enjoying this for all those reasons! I also like the character of Cathbad, as well as all the semi-dysfunctional relationships which make them all so human. Normally I don't like infidelity storylines, but somehow here I'm just fascinated with how they deal with all the pitfalls, and take complete responsibility for them.