What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Picture book: Magic squirrel saves town from flood?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rose (new)

Rose Bovert | 9 comments In the 80s my mother used to read me a children's book about a magic squirrel I think it was a flying squirrel that saved a town from a flood or was involved in a flood in the town. I've found Frederick the squirrel and Merle the squirrel and I don't think either of those are the one. But without reading them its hard to be sure.

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1423 comments This is the only book I can think of. I can't remember if there's a squirrel in it.

Alexander and the Magic Mouse by Martha Sanders.

message 3: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments I couldn't find Willowbank: Flood Alert on goodreads, but you can see a picture here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Willowbank-F...

Here is the description from worldcat:

"A young squirrel and rabbit trick a cat into rescuing their town from a flood."

message 4: by Rose (new)

Rose Bovert | 9 comments Thanks Amber and Adele. I will probably have to buy these books and read them to see if either are the one I'm thinking of. My memory of it is very vague, but the descriptions of the ones you listed both sound pretty similar to what I recall. I wish the covers of the books jogged more memory!

message 5: by Connie (new)

Connie Conine | 40 comments Mystery in the Night Woods is a children's book with a flying squirrel character, not sure if there's a flood.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36481 comments Mod
Mystery in the Night Woods by John Lawrence Peterson - Connie's suggestion

message 7: by Rose (new)

Rose Bovert | 9 comments Thank you Connie and Kris for the lead. I just looked it up and found a preview online, but it's not the one unfortunately. There were colored illustrations in the book I remember.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36481 comments Mod
Is this a picture book (about 32-48 pages) or a chapter book with mostly words?

Can you describe the illustrations - realistic/cartoony/cute, simple/detailed, painted watercolors/bold graphics, sunny/dark/muted colors/black & white?

Do they remind you of another illustrator or picture book author?

message 9: by Rose (new)

Rose Bovert | 9 comments If my memory serves me correct it would have been similar to this style of illustration

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Nc...

message 10: by Rose (new)

Rose Bovert | 9 comments It wasn't a chapter book, definitely a children's picture/story book

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Ray (samlray) | 8 comments I actually had gotten this book in grade school at a book sale. I had lost it a long time ago and am also teying to figure out the title!

Yes, it was a squirrel. He could fly and had a cape. The town was flooded and he was saving his neighbors and such.

That i noticed, none suggested yet are the correct book.

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Ray (samlray) | 8 comments And was indeed a basic children's book, not chapter.

message 13: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Ray (samlray) | 8 comments The picture for style you suggeated seems very similar.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Ray (samlray) | 8 comments The cover was a picture of him flying over the town. Im not 100% sure, but i feel like it had a lot of yellow in the picture?

message 15: by Rose (new)

Rose Bovert | 9 comments Samantha, I'm so happy to read your comments because I was starting to think I imagined it as a child. Yes, you described it exactly and I did also check into the titles but none were a match. Will you please keep me posted should you find it? I'll make sure to do the same!

message 16: by Rose (new)

Rose Bovert | 9 comments And yes I think there was a good deal of yellow and the colors weren't so bold as the link I posted

message 17: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21139 comments When in the '80s did you read it? As late as '89?

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Ray (samlray) | 8 comments I read it the late 1990's. And i will definitely let you know if i find it out!

message 19: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21139 comments Oh, that helps! Your original post said '80s, so I'm guessing a lot of people were cutting off searches around 1989.

I'll try to see what I can find from the '90s.

message 20: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Oh, that helps! Your original post said '80s, so I'm guessing a lot of people were cutting off searches around 1989.

I'll try to see what I can find from the '90s."

Samantha is not the OP, she is a second person looking for the same book. I think we need to look for something around in the 80s still. Though I am kind of at a dead end myself, so expanding to the 90s is probably a good idea. :-)

message 21: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21139 comments Aha, that makes sense. I thought it was the same person, lol.

Samantha, when you say a book sale at school, was it a Scholastic book fair? That would mean it was published by Scholastic for sure.

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Ray (samlray) | 8 comments It was a used book and scholaastic mixed. But this particular book was for only a nickle out of the used library books for sale, NOT the scholastic books.

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Ray (samlray) | 8 comments If you're looking at dates to find it, id say expand back to the 70's not forward to the 90's.

message 24: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments This guess is a little "out there" but . . . Flipperty's Aeroplane Flipperty's Aeroplane by Rene Cloke

message 25: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Ray (samlray) | 8 comments That doesnt look like it. The city is real houses, not tree houses.

message 26: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21139 comments Still looking, Rose and Samantha?

message 27: by Rose (new)

Rose Bovert | 9 comments Thanks for asking! I still have not found it.

message 28: by Rose (new)

Rose Bovert | 9 comments Samantha Ray all of your descriptions are spot on! The cape, the houses... it's nice to know someone else read this story as a child. If I remember correctly, it was the late 80s early 90s when my mom read it to me. And I agree, I feel as though it would have been an older book at the time, not produced in the 90s.

message 29: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21139 comments Did you guys definitely rule out Merle the High Flying Squirrel?

I don't see a cape, but there's a storm and he flies around holding on to a kite.

You can watch a read-aloud version....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2oXI...