All About Books discussion

Upcoming Monthly Reads > June 2018- What will you be Reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What are you planning on reading in June?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks in June so I have quite a list I want to get to which I have downloaded on my kindle. I probably won't get to all of these but I like to have a good variety to chose from.

1. Sugar Money
2. Red Clocks
3. Idaho
4. The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
5. The Thorn Birds
6. Attrib. and other stories
7. The Star Side of Bird Hill
8. He Said/She Said
9. The Idiot
10. Misery

If they come through at the library I will also try and get to Sight and I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer

message 3: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 12295 comments Mod
Since I will be handing in my final essay on Thursday, I am very much looking forward to catching up on the books I have put on to read in my 2018 list and haven't gotten around to yet. I also have a long list on my netgalley of books waiting to be read and reviewed. I can't wait to get rid of empire.

message 4: by Pink (last edited Jun 29, 2018 02:14PM) (new)

Pink What I'm currently thinking of choosing from -

The Good People
Red Clocks
The Tattooist of Auschwitz 3.5 stars
Sing, Unburied, Sing 3 stars
A Brief History of Seven Killings
The Iliad

And still reading from May -

The Aeneid
Another Country 5 stars
A Life in Letters

Adding -
Tin Man 4 stars

message 5: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 12295 comments Mod
Pink wrote: "What I'm currently thinking of choosing from -

The Good People
Red Clocks
The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Sing, Unburied, Sing
[book:A Br..."

I read The Tattooist of Auschwitz and really enjoyed it, I think you will like it as well. It's a very touching novel.

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Heck, I am just planning to read, something, anything and get back into the habit of reading again.

message 7: by Leslie (last edited Jun 17, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I generally have a long list but haven't put together June's yet. So here is my first attempt. I will continue with The Aeneid if I don't finish it before the end of the month.

Mysteries:
When the Wind Blows
Information Received
The Second Confession

Beast In View

Sci-fi/Fantasy:
The Fires of Heaven (audiobook)
Interesting Times
Trade Secret
Ghost Ship (maybe)

The Road (maybe)

General Fiction: Some of these I had planned for May but am including here in case I don't get to them...
The Wife (2nd book of Kristin Lavransdatter) (audiobook)
Kindred

Time Regained
Zorba the Greek
The Group
The Red Room (maybe)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I always make my list and I rarely follow up but I enjoy planning and I also enjoy the spontaneity of choosing what I fancy!

message 10: by Pink (last edited May 25, 2018 12:07PM) (new)

Pink Same here Heather! I don't often stick to my list, but I like having it.

Alannah, thanks for letting me know about The Tattooist of Auschwitz. I think Chrissie also enjoyed it and I've heard good things.

message 11: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments I have no books to read for June so I'm curious too to know what I will be reading! I didn't think about it yet. Will see when I'm done with the book I'm currently reading.

message 12: by Chrissie (last edited May 26, 2018 12:36AM) (new)

Chrissie I am working on a list...........

Pink and Alannah, nope, I have not read the Tatooist. I think a "touching" story might be in MY head just plain soppy. I prefer grit and hard difficult situations. I detest happy, cute ending unless I feel they would in reality turn out that way. Knowing this do you advise me to read it?

message 13: by Pink (new)

Pink Sorry Chrissie, I thought it was you. I know someone mentioned they'd listened to and enjoyed the audiobook, now I can't remember who it was. I actually thought it might be too soppy myself, but the fact you'd enjoyed it made me consider it! Now I see that I've totally made that up, as it wasn't you!

message 14: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Pink, well, at least you have it partially straightened out. Nothing to be sorry about in the least! We too agree that it maybe too soppy for either of US.

message 15: by Chrissie (last edited Jun 29, 2018 07:32AM) (new)

Chrissie If I have not yet finished Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History, it will be completed first. Finished in May.

See message 48 for more books read this month.

My next books and short stories will be:

Short stories:
1.Spunk by Zora Neale Hurston 3 stars read
2."Sweat" by Zora Neale Hurston 4 stars read
3.The Boundary by Jhumpa Lahiri 4 stars read
4.Girl by Jamaica Kincaid 4 stars read
5.Wingless by Jamaica Kincaid 2 stars read
6.Old Age by Anton Chekhov 2 stars read

Non-fiction:
7The Devil's Highway: A True Story by Luis Alberto Urrea 4 stars read
8.The Gentleman in the Parlour: A Record of a Journey from Rangoon to Haiphong by W. Somerset Maugham 3 stars read
9.One's Company: A Journey to China in 1933 by Peter Fleming 2 stars read
10.A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea by Masaji Ishikawa 4 stars read
11.Rosie: Scenes from a Vanished Life by Rose Tremain 3 stars read
12.The Summing Up by W. Somerset Maugham 3 stars read
13. Somebody I Used to Know: A Memoir by Wendy Mitchell 4 stars read

Fiction:
14.The Blue Flower by Penelope Fitzgerald 1 star read
15.The Autobiography of My Mother by Jamaica Kincaid 3 stars read
65.So Long, See You Tomorrow by William Maxwell 1 star read
17.Faith Fox by Jane Gardam 4 stars read
18.In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje 4 stars read
19.The Black Flower: A Novel of the Civil War by Howard Bahr 3 star

and finally I will be listening on and off too:
20.Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 3 stars read

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Pink wrote: "Same here Heather! I don't often stick to my list, but I like having it..."

I enjoy creating my list but I too often deviate from it once it is made :)

message 17: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Chrissie, because you are reading Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History, I wondered if you would like Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West but a check of your Read shelf shows that you have.

Your review ( in part) says "DEVASTATING. Very difficult reading. Dense...."

I read it at Uni and then again in March 2014 and again in 2016. It's a book I recommend to many other readers.

message 18: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Bette, yep, I have read that, and I agree with you that it is a book everyone should read.

message 19: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I plan on reading some books from challenges. They include The Rules of Magic, A Gentleman from Moscow and the Survivors Club.

message 20: by Esther (last edited May 27, 2018 10:25PM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 1321 comments Somehow May was a bust due to other commitments and then I started The Heart's Invisible Furies which just pulled me in and wouldn't let go.
As a result my buddy reads Silas Marner and The Aeneid fell by the wayside so I want to finish them in June.
I also have Shades of Grey for a book club. This has been on my shelf for a while and Fforde is a favourite author I have been neglecting recently.
Other than that I want to read Post-Truth: The New War on Truth and How to Fight Back.

message 21: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Esther, I think you will enjoy Shades pf Grey.

message 22: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 1321 comments Chrissie wrote: "Esther, I think you will enjoy Shades pf Grey."

Yes I am looking forward to it. Problem is I have another busy weekend coming up with not much time to read!

message 23: by Chrissie (last edited May 28, 2018 03:59AM) (new)

Chrissie Esther wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Esther, I think you will enjoy Shades pf Grey."

Yes I am looking forward to it. Problem is I have another busy weekend coming up with not much time to read!"

Don't get yourself all stressed up. You'll get around to it.

message 24: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 1321 comments Chrissie wrote: "Don't get yourself all stressed up. You'll get around to it. .."

I actually get quite stressed if I don't read enough.
During the week nearly the only time I am free of work or chores and awake enough to read is on my commute.
If for some reason I don't get to read on my commute I have to neglect chores and make time to read at home otherwise it has a serious effect on my mood.

message 25: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Esther, I can understand what you are saying. I absolutely NEED to read too! I go bonkers otherwise.

message 26: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Well then, Chrissie, I must have really gone bonkers quite some time ago, lol. I done a few re-reads which I've enjoyed but only a couple of new books. Have a stack of newly released books on my coffee table but the urge to get stuck into them is still not with me. I'm sure it's something to do with the close proximity of my sister and the number of times we have coffee or hang out together. I'm blaming her!

message 27: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I always look forward to reading. But these days I don't know what to do first - see my grandchildren, knit, watch my streaming series or movies. Notice I didn't say anything about cooking or cleaning those are the two things I rarely go be any thought to except it's about dusting my books. I hate when I go no myself going into a book slump and sometimes reread a treasured book to get me going. And these days since I've read so many different types of book is, I read what I want to and don't really care what others think about my choices.

message 28: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie B the BookAddict wrote: "Well then, Chrissie, I must have really gone bonkers quite some time ago, lol. I done a few re-reads which I've enjoyed but only a couple of new books. Have a stack of newly released books on my co..."

Bette, well, you are enjoying the company of the people around you. Nothing wrong with that. I would call it healthy and normal. I don't look at TV. I don't shop. I don't go to movies or socialize. For ME now books are very important. When I worked and had the kids at home life was very different. Sure, I have always read but not to the extent I do now.

message 29: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Nancy from NJ wrote: "I read what I want to and don't really care what others think about my choices. ."

Why in the world should you give a hoot about what others think of the books you choose to read?!!!!!!!

message 30: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 1321 comments B the BookAddict wrote: "Well then, Chrissie, I must have really gone bonkers quite some time ago, lol. I done a few re-reads which I've enjoyed but only a couple of new books. Have a stack of newly released books on my co..."

I went through a reading slump of several years lasting from after school until I returned to regular reading to pass the time waiting for my children at after-school activities.
Now I do minimal chores (dusting? ironing? what do those words even mean?) and normally watch TV when I am too tired to do anything else but socializing especially with my children does compete with reading time.
That is why I love reading on my commute - I am trapped in a small box with nothing else to do!

message 32: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I have added Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, listening to it on and off until completed.

message 34: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 653 comments Chrissie wrote: "I am working on a list...........

Pink and Alannah, nope, I have not read the Tatooist. I think a "touching" story might be in MY head just plain soppy. I prefer grit and hard difficult situations..."

Read your comment and thought of Song of Kali.

message 35: by Chrissie (last edited Jun 02, 2018 08:42AM) (new)

Chrissie Cathie wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "I am working on a list...........

Pink and Alannah, nope, I have not read the Tatooist. I think a "touching" story might be in MY head just plain soppy. I prefer grit and hard dif..."

Are you saying that Song of Kali is soppy? I have not read the book so I do not fully understand. Or have I forgotten something else?

message 36: by Cathie (last edited Jun 02, 2018 10:20AM) (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 653 comments Chrissie wrote: "Cathie wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "I am working on a list...........

Pink and Alannah, nope, I have not read the Tatooist. I think a "touching" story might be in MY head just plain soppy. I prefer gr..."

A read recommendation - with reference to "grit and difficult situations".

message 37: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie OK, got'cha.

message 38: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I have added anotherbook to my list--Somebody I Used to Know: A Memoir by Wendy Mitchell.

message 39: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Chrissie - I don't give a hoot about what others say about what I'm reading. I was actually talking about my involvement in reading books for challenges. I am in two challenges. The first one has you choose 12 books with. List of 4 alternative titles should you dislike one of the 12. You can select any book you want but the list needs to be finished by December 31st of 2018. So far I have read 8 of these books.

The second challenge asks you to choose and read 26 prompts which include:
Read a Nobel Prize Winner from the year you were born or read a book with 6 words in the title or read a title by Agatha Christie and on and on.

These two challenges account for 38 titles and then there are 3 book groups which account for 18 books. True with two of the challenges I can read what I want but somehow as soon as I choose these books and start to read them, I'm no longer interested.

message 40: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Nancy, ooops, I took what you said originally, the other way around. Thanks for clarifying.

message 41: by Pavitra (new)

Pavitra Sampath Kumar (pavitras) Heather wrote: "What are you planning on reading in June?"

Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the creator of NIKE

message 42: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Pink wrote: "What I'm currently thinking of choosing from -

The Good People
Red Clocks
The Tattooist of Auschwitz 3.5 stars
Sing, Unburied, Sing
..."

You having given The Tattooist five stars makes me pay attention. You have not written a review. Could you explain in just a few words why you think it is worth that rating? Given what I wrote in message 13, so you think I should read it?

message 43: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 117 comments Okay June is Halfway through but I still want to list my reading. I'm reading some long books so only a few

Middlesex
Brick Lane
The Cartel

If I have time for another
A Little Life

message 44: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jess wrote: "If I have time for another
A Little Life ."

A Little Life is fantastic!

message 45: by Pink (last edited Jun 14, 2018 12:11PM) (new)

Pink Chrissie, I gave it 3.5 stars!

I liked that this wasn't just a novel, but a story based on real life events, as told to the author by the tattooist in his later years. Of course I don't know which bits were true and which were fiction and this would usually drive me nuts, but I thought the story was well recounted for the most part. I nearly always enjoy (that's not really the right word) holocaust memoirs and this had enough memoir over fiction in it for me.

Also it wasn't really soppy. It has tragedy as you'd expect but also heartwarming moments, but these were grounded in reality and so they didn't seem out of place.

message 46: by Chrissie (last edited Jun 14, 2018 12:22PM) (new)

Chrissie Pink wrote: "Chrissie, I gave it 3.5 stars!

I liked that this wasn't just a novel, but a story based on real life events, as told to the author by the tattooist in his later years. Of course I don't know whic..."

Ooops, I saw wrong. I didn't see the three. I was really surprised when I thought I saw five.

OK, not super soppy. That is what has put me off. I am still a bit skeptical.

Thank you for your help.

message 47: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 01, 2018 12:36AM) (new)

Chrissie I need more books. I will be choosing from these:
See message 16 for more books read this month.
That not read in June will be read in July.

Fiction
21.Miss Subways by David Duchovny 3 stars read
22.The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton 3 stars read
23.Annie John by Jamaica Kincaid 3 stars read
24.Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat 1 star read

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Chrissie wrote: "I need more books. I will be choosing from these:
See message 16 for more books read this month.
That not read in June will be read in July.

Fiction
*Miss Subways by [author:David ..."

I started the paperback book of Alexander Hamilton but it was a bit intimidating so I saw the audible daily deal and grabbed it! Looking forward to seeing what you think

message 49: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Heather, I am a bit scared of that one. I picked up the daily deal too.

message 50: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Heather, so how are you doing with Alexander Hamilton? I finished it in July. It is great for a long car trip. It is definitely worth reading, if only for what it says about Adams and Jefferson!