Fans of Stephanie Laurens discussion

By Winter's Light

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E. (last edited Jul 30, 2014 02:20AM) (new)

E. R. (dilawrosas) | 28 comments By Winter's Light (Cynster, #21) by Stephanie Laurens

Summary:
It's December 1837, and the young adults of the Cynster clan have succeeded in having the family Christmas celebration held at snow-bound Casphairn Manor, Richard and Catriona Cynster’s home. Led by Sebastian, Marquess of Earith, and by Lucilla, future Lady of the Vale, and her twin brother, Marcus, the upcoming generation has their own plans for the holiday season.

Yet where Cynsters gather, love is never far behind—the festive occasion brings together Daniel Crosbie, tutor to Lucifer Cynster’s sons, and Claire Meadows, widow and governess to Gabriel Cynster’s daughter. Daniel and Claire have met before and the embers of an unexpected passion smolder between them, but once bitten, twice shy, Claire believes a second marriage is not in her stars. Daniel, however, is determined to press his suit. He’s seen the love the Cynsters share, and Claire is the lady with whom he dreams of sharing his life. Assisted by a bevy of Cynsters—innate matchmakers every one—Daniel strives to persuade Claire that trusting him with her hand and her heart is her right path to happiness.

Meanwhile, out riding on Christmas Eve, the young adults of the Cynster clan respond to a plea for help. Summoned to a humble dwelling in ruggedly forested mountains, Lucilla is called on to help with the difficult birth of a child, while the others rise to the challenge of helping her. With a violent storm closing in and severely limited options, the next generation of Cynsters face their first collective test—can they save this mother and child? And themselves, too?

Back at the manor, Claire is increasingly drawn to Daniel and despite her misgivings, against the backdrop of the ongoing festivities their relationship deepens. Yet she remains torn—until catastrophe strikes, and by winter’s light, she learns that love—true love—is worth any risk, any price.

A tale brimming with all the magical delights of a Scottish festive season.

Expected publication: October 28th 2014

So can't wait to read this! I'm glad that there is a relationship that is blossoming in this book, which I feel will not detract from the whole Cynster reunion.

Not really surprised that it is only the six original Cynster couples with kids along with them. Nor am I surprised that Helena is with them.

That said, anyone looking forward to this book?

message 2: by HJ (new)

HJ | 52 comments Thanks for posting this! I'm peculiar in that I never read blurbs because I've found that they tend to give away too much, and I prefer to discover things as I read the book. Ditto extracts, unless they're from the very beginning of the book.

I'm putting this one in the diary!

message 3: by E. (last edited Jul 30, 2014 08:01PM) (new)

E. R. (dilawrosas) | 28 comments If you subscribed to the SL newsletter, you get a sneak peek to the first chapter. Reading that made me eager to read the book. Can't wait!

message 4: by HJ (new)

HJ | 52 comments Thanks -- I avoided looking at the newsletter because sometimes they give too much away about the new book, but I've just been back to look at it and have added the Lucilla and Marcus Cynster's books to my calendar for next year. Good news!

message 5: by Ruby (last edited Aug 01, 2014 07:43AM) (new)

Ruby Norwood | 7 comments I love the Cynster's books. I have read everyone of them and some twice. I am so excited about the next book. I have read so many books of Stephanie Laurens I think everyone she has written and I would just give anything for a sign copy.

message 6: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 28 comments I'm looking forward to this one. I read the preview in the newsletter, will definitely be getting it when it comes out (unless I happen to win the giveaway for it here on GR, but I'm not holding my breath there, I've never won any giveaways in my 4 years as a GR member, lol). I'm definitely interested in getting to see the Cynster kids as characters in their own right :)

message 7: by E. (new)

E. R. (dilawrosas) | 28 comments Agree with wanting to read the book. Definitely a transitional book towards the next generation of Cynsters.

message 8: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 28 comments I think it'll be interesting as they start getting into the Victorian times for sure.

message 9: by HJ (new)

HJ | 52 comments Kit★ wrote: "I think it'll be interesting as they start getting into the Victorian times for sure."

I was thinking rather wistfully that I prefer the Regency (using a wide definition of that), and then I thought that I really must be more open-minded!

message 10: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 28 comments Lol! I think it could be interesting seeing the Cynsters in the Victorian times because of the way morals and everything got more strict, especially in the later Victorian years. The Regency period seems less strict, a little more free in a way. Might make slipping out of a ball for a tryst in the orangery a little more challenging or something for future Cynsters ;)

message 11: by HJ (new)

HJ | 52 comments Kit★ wrote: "Lol! I think it could be interesting seeing the Cynsters in the Victorian times because of the way morals and everything got more strict, especially in the later Victorian years. The Regency period..."

Ah, but did they *really* get more strict? Or were they just more discreet (or more hypocritical?)? But it will be interesting to see whether SL writes the period differently, or not.

message 12: by E. (new)

E. R. (dilawrosas) | 28 comments If such a "strict" society does play a heavy part in the series, then I would think there are "creative" ways to have a "meeting" happen, if you know what I mean. I think SL won't forget about such "meetings" given that it is such a must in Cynster couples.

message 13: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 28 comments Lol, for sure, can't have a Cynster story without at least one scene where they sneak away during a ball or something :D

message 14: by HJ (last edited Oct 28, 2014 08:51AM) (new)

HJ | 52 comments Kit★ wrote: "Lol, for sure, can't have a Cynster story without at least one scene where they sneak away during a ball or something :D"

And if you told them that their parents and their siblings did it too, they'd never believe you.

message 15: by HJ (new)

HJ | 52 comments I'm half-way through this, and enjoying it. I love stories set in the snow, especially at Christmas.

message 16: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 28 comments I just picked up my copy today, but my reading buddies and I are waiting until December to read it I think.

message 17: by E. (new)

E. R. (dilawrosas) | 28 comments Looking forward to reading it...whenever it may be.

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Viar (ashleyviar) | 13 comments I'm reading it and so far it is great!

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Viar (ashleyviar) | 13 comments It was definitely a bridge book. You get to know the kids really well. I'm looking forward to the new series of cynster. Her newsletter was pretty good about letting us know what is to come. I think I'm going to do a reread of the whole clan so it may take me awhile.

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Viar (ashleyviar) | 13 comments It was definitely a bridge book. You get to know the kids really well. I'm looking forward to the new series of cynster. Her newsletter was pretty good about letting us know what is to come. I think I'm going to do a reread of the whole clan so it may take me awhile.

message 21: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 28 comments Read this a couple weeks ago. I liked it really well. I thought reading about the different holiday traditions was interesting, and I liked getting to know the kids. I'm totally looking forward to Lucilla's story now :)