Brookes for Books 👩‍🏫👨‍🏫 discussion

SBT2 books!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe Ledster | 13 comments Mod
Hey everyone!

I hope 2nd Year is going well- nearly finished!

I was just wondering if anyone discovered or used any picture books, novels, poems etc. whilst on placement which were particularly useful, engaging or inspiring to children?

It would be great to hear from you!

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice Ludlow | 1 comments I used a book called ‘The Saga of Erik the Viking’ within a Viking topic in school. A Saga is a story from the Viking period which tells of their sea voyages. As each individual saga was short I found it a good styles of writing to look at and study with the class. Furthermore, the children in my class were extremely engaged within this topic, therefore the realistic Viking stories provided a great stimulus for their writing.

message 3: by Phoebe (new)

That sounds great Alice! Using books are a great way to motivate children’s writing. What type of writing were the children doing?

message 4: by Avital (new)

Avital Nathan | 18 comments Mod
Helloo primary people,

During SBT2 my year six class were using Cogheart by Peter Bunzl for their shared reading sessions- this was an engaging adventure story for older primary readers; it had some mature themes (eg. dead parents) and an impressive range of vocabulary - we would often have to stop to explain or look up a word. There were also many made-words that belonged to the world created by Bunzl (eg. Mechanimals) that could trip up less able readers. It was an exciting storyline but I noted that the higher ability readers sped through it by themselves, whilst the middle ability took turns to read (and the lower ability had to be taken out separately) so perhaps this book would be more effective in a smaller group of more able readers. Overall though, (spoiler alert) the big twist kept the class engaged and they enjoyed the story 😄

message 5: by Ellie (new)

Ellie L | 14 comments Mod
One text that I noted to be particularly effective during SBT2 was 'Journey' by Aaron Becker. If you have not read it, this is a gorgeous book about a child who creates and ventures through her own imaginary world, tackling several obstacles along the way. All of upper KS2 were using the picture book to develop their setting and character descriptions, and although I was not teaching in their classes, I read some examples of some stunning writing. What is so magical about this story is that it is wordless, which meant that the reception children could access it and were also using it as a stimulus for vocabulary development at the same time. So lovely for children of opposite year groups to share an enthusiasm for the same book, which I heard produced some interesting conversations on the playground! If you have not read Journey then I would definitely give it a read, such beautiful and enchanting illustrations, and there are also two exciting books that follow on within the series.

message 6: by Mathew (new)

Mathew (mat_at_brookes) | 6 comments Alice wrote: "I used a book called ‘The Saga of Erik the Viking’ within a Viking topic in school. A Saga is a story from the Viking period which tells of their sea voyages. As each individual saga was short I fo..."

Lovely choice, Alice. I think this is Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame). I'm going to also recommend Kevin Crossley Holland whose writing of Norse and Anglo Saxon lore is excellent. Head to the library and pick up some of his work

message 7: by Mathew (new)

Mathew (mat_at_brookes) | 6 comments Avital wrote: "Helloo primary people,

During SBT2 my year six class were using Cogheart by Peter Bunzl for their shared reading sessions- this was an engaging adventure story for older primary readers; it had so..."

Thanks, Avital. That's enough to make me take it down from the shelf. It's worth noting that Peter is lovely on twitter too and very accommodating in answering questions about the text.

message 8: by Avital (new)

Avital Nathan | 18 comments Mod
I don’t want to come across too harshly- I just think that the book may be more suited to independent reading and would need to be carefully matched to the students. It would definitely keep a higher ability reader happy for a little while! I’d be interested to read Bunzl’s tweets and see his responses to questions 😊

message 9: by Phoebe (last edited May 27, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

Ellie wrote: "One text that I noted to be particularly effective during SBT2 was 'Journey' by Aaron Becker. If you have not read it, this is a gorgeous book about a child who creates and ventures through her own..."

That's so interesting! It's lovely to see picture books being used across the years. I actually used this book in my Year 2 class for our Art Day! The children were allowed to create anything they liked linked to the theme of 'Journeys' and using that book as a stimulus! It was so wonderful and the artwork was impressive!

message 10: by Phoebe (new)

I was working with a Year 2 class and the topic for the term was Space. They were all so enthusiastic and absolutely loved it so I tried to incorporate picture books about space into a few of the lessons I was teaching! I ended up using 'Beegu' by Alexis Deacon in an R.E lesson, 'The Darkest Dark' by Chris Hadfield in a History lesson and 'Toys in Space' by Mini Grey for Guided Reading! We also used 'The Way Back Home' by Oliver Jeffers in a drama lesson! The children were so enthralled by these fantastic picture books- it was a great way to engage the children with the lesson. You should definitely check some of these books out if you have the time. They are so fun to read to/with the children and act out certain parts- it really helped them to gain an understanding of the topic and, most importantly, enjoy it!

message 11: by Mathew (new)

Mathew (mat_at_brookes) | 6 comments Phoebe wrote: "I was working with a Year 2 class and the topic for the term was Space. They were all so enthusiastic and absolutely loved it so I tried to incorporate picture books about space into a few of the l..."

This is excellent practice, Phoebe and proves the point that a reading teacher is one who can engage and enthuse children about reading and the world around them.