Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Killg Eng: Strug for Amer In > 7. Rating of Book!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
What would you rate the book, and why?

message 2: by Carol (new)

When I compare this book and 1776, there is quite a bit of difference between the two books. This one is good, but the other is better. I gave this book 4 stars. Overall a good book.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments 2 because it was hard for me to keep pushing to read and finish, but I learned a lot.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I gave it 3 stars because the content was interesting and I did learn some things. I found the writing style itself irritating though. I thought the footnotes were intrusive and usually could easily have been left out or incorporated into the text. The decision to use a present tense construction was odd and caused some awkward phrasing. And there were too many one-sentence paragraphs.

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments I gave it four stars. I thought I knew quite a bit about that period in American history. After all we watch "1776" every Independence Day, and I can sing right along with the soundtrack! (I can also sing right along with the Hamilton soundtrack, so that means I really know a lot!)

Though there were many accounts I was familiar with, there were many more that I was not. Good history lesson.

message 6: by Carol (new)

I just went to the library and they had 1776 there and we thought of you. Not sure we'll listen to it or not, but we have good memories.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (shortblondreader) | 19 comments I would give it at least 4 stars. I love all the "killing" books and this was no exception. I love history and these books are a fun way to learn more of the details. Very matter of fact but not boring like listening to a news report. I will be reading it again just for fun.

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Carol wrote: "I just went to the library and they had 1776 there and we thought of you. Not sure we'll listen to it or not, but we have good memories."

I read 1776 a few years ago, but I don't remember too much about it. That's why it's good for me to keep reading books like "Killing England" - unless I get refreshers every few years, everything I ever knew is just.... gone.

message 9: by Carol (new)

When I said I checked out 1776 from the Library, I goofed and checked out the Musical. The 1776 by David McCullough is an out-standing book, and he is a masterful writer.