Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Killg Eng: Strug for Amer In > 5. Lawmakers today that are willing to make compromises?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Do you see any evidence of any lawmakers today that are willing to make compromises on their positions in order to gain support over all as did the Founding Fathers before ratifying the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution?

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I asked my husband this question and he brought up a good point. He thinks that the party system does this today. So many times people from one party do things because "that's the party's stance" vs what they actually think or believe or discuss the issues involved for a better stance.

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments The reason our congress and senate get nothing done is because everyone is afraid to compromise. In addition to what Chelsea said, I think this is because big lobbying groups tell them "if you don't vote the way we want - we will make sure you lose your next election". One example is the NRA and gun control. I'm not trying to offend anyone - there are other examples on both the conservative and liberal sides, but I think the art of compromise is gone and we're all suffering for it.

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Great comment Cindy! I can agree.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (shortblondreader) | 19 comments I don't have a strong opinion about this but like the comments from Chelsea and Cindy. I would hope that lawmakers would simply do what's right but that seems to be getting more complicated.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Nice to have you aboard Heather. We've read a myriad of books that have been really interesting. I hope you enjoy your time with us. Carol

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (shortblondreader) | 19 comments Carol wrote: "Nice to have you aboard Heather. We've read a myriad of books that have been really interesting. I hope you enjoy your time with us. Carol"

Thanks! I'm excited to read some new books.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Been thinking about the party system. And now that there will be 4 official parties (a new one just got approved). So with these varying parties, we are given choices, and then I ask is that we want. I say yes, but do the parties represent what the choices are. HMMM. Food for thought

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments Our Constitution came to pass because of "The Great Compromise." And that just may have been the last one.

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Barb wrote: "Our Constitution came to pass because of "The Great Compromise." And that just may have been the last one."

Haha! Love it!