What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Pat-A-Cake, Pat-A-Cake (Nursery Crimes, #2)
This topic is about Pat-A-Cake, Pat-A-Cake
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Horror novel about bake sale, cupcakes. Spoilers. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Haylei (new)

Haylei John | 2 comments I read this book around 2010, but it was likely published in the 90s or early 2000s, as it mentions the young couple sneakily communicating through a landline phone. The book follows a popular high school student living with her strict, single father in a small town. She is in love with a boy that her father will not allow her to see. The popular girl befriends an unpopular, jealous, and evil female student. I believe that they were paired together for a bake sale project? SPOILERS: The unpopular girl ends up leaving a poisoned cupcake in the home of the popular student. The popular girl’s father calls to say that he left her a surprise treat at home (referring to a pint of her favorite ice cream in the fridge), which she believes is the mysterious cupcake in the house. She eats it and very graphically dies from the poision. The forbidden boyfriend is framed, which I believe leads him to kill himself. The unpopular girl goes free for the murder.
I saw a post from 2016 that I believe is looking for the same book, but there was never a conclusion. This book is not part of a series.

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments I'm pretty sure I've seen other people looking for this same book here before!

Do these descriptions match your book too?
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Ayshe (last edited May 24, 2018 03:31PM) (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments Pat-A-Cake, Pat-A-Cake by Eric Weiner?

Edit: It may have been re-published as Death by Chocolate, descriptions sound close.

message 4: by Haylei (new)

Haylei John | 2 comments Yes, both titles by Eric Weiner are exactly the book I’ve been searching for since middle school! Thank you so much, I was beginning to think I made the whole plot up in my head lol.