Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Killg Eng: Strug for Amer In > 1. Opinions of Founding Fathers.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
1. Did your opinions about any of our Founding Fathers change after reading this book?

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I didn't realize how "cold" or strongly disciplined George Washington was with his troops. They for sure did not walk all over him; he stood his ground. And poor Jefferson just wanted to be home to his wife and not in the spotlight of politics. I knew a lot about Franklin, but found his psuedoname newspaper writings very funny! I didn't realize he was such a comedian. And the story about Andrew Jackson's mom rescueing him from the prison boat was sooo cool and inspiring despite her death because of it.

I liked that they all seemed more human to me after reading this book.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Chelsea, don't mean to be copying you, but I also had the same very strong impressions about especially Washington, and somewhat Jefferson. I was very disenchanted with Washington. I've read other books about him and other Founding Fathers, but there was something about this one that disappointed me quite a lot. My heroes are John and Abigail Adams. That was one of the best books I've ever read. Ben Franklin was another one that got knocked off his pedestal. All these guys were amazing to me, until this book. BOO

message 4: by Cindy (last edited May 27, 2018 08:22AM) (new)

Cindy | 522 comments It's interesting to read your comments because this book made me more impressed than ever with George Washington. I thought he seemed very real - I could see that his actions were motivated by what he thought was right, not be a desire for power or fame.
The parts of the book I found the most interesting were the stories on John Paul Jones and William Franklin (Benjamin's son) because I knew very little about either man. I had no idea that US ships went to Europe to battle British ships! And I didn't know that BF's son was a loyalist. Very interesting!

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (shortblondreader) | 19 comments Hello my name is Heather and I joined the group a couple of months ago. Since then, our family decided to move so I've been preoccupied with that. I read Killing England a few months ago so thought I would leave of few comments although the details are not fresh in my mind anymore.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Welcome Heather! It's nice to hear from you!

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments I fully believe that God brought this particular group of men together at this particular time for a reason--flaws and all. Each of these brave men posessed characteristics that were necessary for bringing forth the birth of this great nation, where freedoms that were not found anywhere else came to be. This book made them seem more human to me than they were before--not the superheroes I had in my head. And that's exactly what God had to work with. Humans. I think my love and admiration for these men has grown immensley.