Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Home Front by Kristin Hannah - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited May 24, 2018 07:03AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments This was an unusual book, a subject not often dealt with in my reading. Jolene is a National Guard helicopter pilot. Her marriage has hit a very rocky place and she suddenly gets orders to be deployed to Iraq. She has her best friend of many years also deployed with her, they are both pilots and take turns in the pilots and co-pilot chair.

With her as the soldier and he a lawyer who has never served, this is upside down from the standard story. Michael is left home to take care of the two daughters. During that time, he gets a case of murder by a veteran of Iraq with PTSD, making him much more understanding of what his wife might be going through in Iraq. That will help him a lot when the she returns home.

I don't know if it was just the narrator (a new one to me) or if it was the characters of the two daughters but there was a lot of whining and I found that to be very annoying. I will chalk some of it up to the way the narrator handled the voices but she is using the dialog and direction given her by the author.

The story was very good and the author interview at the end of the audio book was enlightening.

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2331 comments I did the audio of this one recently and the daughters, especially the older one, were quite whiny. It was quite a good story though and I enjoyed it very much.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

You know this book hasn't had great reviews this month. Even for those who have read the book. I'm stuck on whether to read this or not based on all the reviews. I've loved her other books so much. I loved Winter Garden but there were so many times the sisters drove me crazy. Whiny and dramatic.

message 4: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments Rachel wrote: "You know this book hasn't had great reviews this month. Even for those who have read the book. I'm stuck on whether to read this or not based on all the reviews. I've loved her other books so much...."

Its a good story, not great IMHO, but good. It has a unique topic and its handled well. I think it would be a fairly quick read but I listened so it's hard to tell. I don't especially recommend the audio but it wasn't terrible, just whiny.

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2331 comments I really enjoyed the story. Like Barbara said, it's from a completely different perspective about deployment. I do think it got a bit "soap opera-ish" but it was quite good.