UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2018-20 > Young Adult/New Adult/Children's books - June 2018

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3537 comments Mod
Well, it's books for children or Young Adults for June.

I read plenty of children's books as bedtime stories with my son, so this is a busman's holiday for me, however I missed out on Harry Potter. We started the Philosopher's Stone, but when it came to bedtime the following evening, he had already finished the book. He's since read the whole series, while I haven't got beyond the first chapters....

So I will kick off with Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. What are you going to read?

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2776 comments I still have to finish my biography for May but I think I'll probably be reading The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.

message 3: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3537 comments Mod
Good choice Bill: 'Poop, poop!'

message 4: by Natalie (new)

Natalie A | 21 comments Two great childhood books! I am going to love this thread.

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise Elliott | 4 comments Well having avoided the Harry Potter series entirely, I few days ago I decided to read the first one and finished it this morning which I guess doesn't qualify for the June challenge. So I will have to think of something else. I will be back once I have given it some thought.

message 6: by Peter (new)

Peter | 16 comments Unlike some of you, I have read and enjoyed all of the Harry Potter series, but one that I missed was the Philip Pullman His Dark Materials series. I have therefore decided to read the first book in the series, ' Northern Lights'.

message 7: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3537 comments Mod
Yes, I know, I must be the last person in the world to have read Harry Potter. I'm now over halfway through the Philosopher's Stone which, as I suspected, is great fun.

I have read, the His Dark Materials trilogy. which I enjoyed very much - particularly 'The Subtle Knife'.

My son, well ahead as usual, has just finished 'The Book of Dust', which he thoroughly recommends ;)

message 8: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Liz, how have you not read Harry Potter?! 😃

I’m going to read “The Mortal Instruments 1: City of Bones” for this genre although I’m also tempted my the new Philip Pullman!

message 9: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3537 comments Mod
I'm onto 'The Chamber of Secrets' now.

I really need this light reading, as I've had some long, slow-burners this year and I'm way behind on my 50 books target for the year challenge.

message 10: by Mercia (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) | 610 comments I think I'll probably give this one a miss due to a heavy June work schedule. I'd love to read the Book of Dust sometime. My favourite is The Golden Compass and not just because the opening scene in the movie is filmed in Greenwich's Painted Room, which I often work near when I'm a deck hand on the Cutty Sark.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 216 comments I've not read any Harry Potter but I'm going wizard as well with my choice
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2776 comments Rachel wrote: "I've not read any Harry Potter but I'm going wizard as well with my choice
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin"

I started it once many years ago. I'll have to try again as I really enjoyed the other LeGuin books I've read.

message 13: by Peter (new)

Peter | 16 comments I finished Northern Lights at the weekend and went straight onto The Subtle Knife, the second of the original trilogy. Obviously I enjoyed the first book or I wouldn't have moved on to the second. Hope everyone else is enjoying theirs.

message 14: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2776 comments Today I start my selection... The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 216 comments Bill wrote: "Today I start my selection... The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame."
could never get into that as a youngster!

message 16: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1387 comments Mod
Its high time I read The Hunger Games so I've just found it in my TBR pile and will get started this evening.

message 17: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3537 comments Mod
Enjoy 'The Hunger Games' Kate!

I was itching to get started on 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azcaban', last night, but I couldn't find my kindle anywhere...

...this morning I walk into the sitting room and it's sitting there, on the arm of the sofa. Family members deny all knowledge. Having just finished The Triffids, my money's on the rubber plant.

(I had to pick up something unrelated to the challenge instead, so Harry, Hermione and Ron will have wait...)

message 18: by Graham (new)

Graham Scott | 1 comments When my son was struggling to find book series to read which engaged him I found Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan and then the Young Samurai series by Chris Bradford. He read them, then I read them and enjoyed them a lot, particularly the Chris Bradford ones. 'Nanakarobi yaoki' is now part of our philosophy!

message 19: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1387 comments Mod
Liz wrote: "Enjoy 'The Hunger Games' Kate!"

Oh I did Liz! I zoomed through it and can't believe it took me so long to get round to reading it! 5 stars no question.
I'm on the look out for copies of Catching Fire and Mockingjay now!

message 20: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1387 comments Mod
Ok, So I enjoyed The Hunger Games so much that I found part 2 Catching Fire in a charity shop and I've jumped straight in!

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter | 16 comments Have just finished reading 'The Amber Spyglass', so have completed the original trilogy. I have added 'The Book of Dust' to my to be read pile and will go back to that in the future.