Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Issue with The Snows of Kilimanjaro

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrik (last edited May 24, 2018 01:11AM) (new)

Patrik (glusch) | 17 comments I don't know how to easily explain the issue here but I'll try my best. Ask questions if what I'm getting at is unclear. Also, English isn't my first language so please excuse any mistakes.

The books The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories (ISBN: 0684862212) & The Snows of Kilimanjaro (ISBN: 0099908808) share the same reviews and ratings even though they are not the same books when it comes to content. They also share the same book description. The description is:

The ideal introduction to the genius of Ernest Hemingway, The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories contains ten of Hemingway's most acclaimed and popular works of short fiction. Selected from Winner Take Nothing , Men Without Women , and The Fifth Column and the First Forty-Nine Stories , this collection includes "The Killers," the first of Hemingway's mature stories to be accepted by an American periodical; the autobiographical "Fathers and Sons," which alludes, for the first time in Hemingway's career, to his father's suicide; "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber," a "brilliant fusion of personal observation, hearsay and invention," wrote Hemingway's biographer, Carlos Baker; and the title story itself, of which Hemingway said: "I put all the true stuff in," with enough material, he boasted, to fill four novels. Beautiful in their simplicity, startling in their originality, and unsurpassed in their craftsmanship, the stories in this volume highlight one of America's master storytellers at the top of his form.

This description, and the short stories the description claims the book contains might be correct for The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories, that I do not know, since I don't own it. I do own The Snows of Kilimanjaro though, and it does not contain the short stories listed in the description.

The content of The Snows of Kilimanjaro are the short stories The Snows of Kilimanjaro, Up in Michigan, On the Quai at Smyrna, Indian Camp, The Doctor and the Doctor's Wife, The End of Something, The Three-day Blow, The Battler, A Very Short Story, Soldier's Home, The Revolutionist, Mr and Mrs Elliot, Cat in the Rain, Out of Season, Cross-country Snow, My Old Man, Big Two-hearted River Part I & II.

Very much different from the short stories of the other book. First of all, I guess the description of The Snows of Kilimanjaro should be changed. Maybe to the description another version of ISBN 0099908808 has:

Men and women of passion and action live, fight, love and die in scenes of dramatic intensity. From haunting tragedy on the snow-capped peak of Kilimanjaro to brutal sensationalism in the bullring; from rural America with its deceptive calm to the heart of war-ravaged Europe, each of the stories in this classic collection is a feat of imagination, and a masterpiece of description. The Snows of Kilimanjaro is one of the best known and loved collections of stories by one of the greatest literary novelists of the twentieth century.

This also begs the question, should the books (The Snows of Kilimanjaro & The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories really share reviews and ratings, considering they are more or less different books?

message 2: by Patrik (new)

Patrik (glusch) | 17 comments I hope you don't mind that I bump this thread since it's still unresolved.