YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Providence
This topic is about Providence
BUDDY READ: Horror/Thriller > Providence by Caroline Kepnes Starting June 3, 2018

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments A propulsive new thriller about the obsessive nature of love when an intensifying relationship between best friends is disrupted by a kidnapping.

Growing up as best friends in small-town New Hampshire, Jon and Chloe are the only ones who truly understand each other, though they can never find the words to tell one another the depth of their feelings. When Jon is finally ready to confess his feelings, he's suddenly kidnapped by his substitute teacher who is obsessed with H.P. Lovecraft and has a plot to save humanity.

Mourning the disappearance of Jon and facing the reality he may never return, Chloe tries to navigate the rites of entering young adulthood and "fit in" with the popular crowd, but thoughts of Jon are never far away.

When Jon finally escapes, he discovers he now has an uncontrollable power that endangers anyone he has intense feelings for. He runs away to protect Chloe and find the answers to his new identity--but he's soon being tracked by a detective who is fascinated by a series of vigilante killings that appear connected.

Whisking us on a journey through New England and crashing these characters' lives together in the most unexpected ways, Kepnes explores the complex relationship between love and identity, unrequited passion and obsession, self-preservation and self-destruction, and how the lines are often blurred between the two.

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments 10% (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments 16% (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments 19% (view spoiler)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Finished (view spoiler)

message 6: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8810 comments I've booked, last minute, to go camping. We are leaving on the 7th and will be back on the 12th. I'll be reading this book then but will be unable to update here until I return :)

message 7: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8810 comments I decided to squeeze this one in just before I go camping instead :)

I'm updating by chapters inside of by quarters, like I usually do, as I'm listening to this on audio and am not sure when exactly each quarter ends :)

Up to the end of Chapter 12 - (view spoiler)

message 8: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8810 comments Up to the end of Chapter 25 - (view spoiler)

message 9: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8810 comments I flew through the second-half on double speed as I really wasn't enjoying it. I'm glad I had the audio to help plough through it.

Up to the end of the book - (view spoiler)

message 10: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8810 comments Also (view spoiler)