Year-long NaNo discussion

Faith > Hood’s Arrow

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments This is my project for the 100-4-100 challenge at Go Teen Writers...a Robin Hood retelling set on an archipelago, where Robin and his band are a group of disabled, War-weary veterans seeking to avoid the draft as Prince John attempts another ridiculous crusade.

message 2: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 5/23/18—about 2 handwritten pages (I’ll be typing it up as I go...)

No snippet until I get that done, but hopefully tomorrow I’ll have a synopsis to share!

message 3: by Lena, Mage (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) | 1268 comments Mod
Sounds super awesome! Good luck! :)

message 4: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Ooh, a Robin Hood retelling! Sounds cool. :D

message 5: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Thanks, guys!!!!

message 6: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 5/24/18--1,057 words (some of that written yesterday)

Snippet:
As if to mock the pain of the citizens of this country, on every stone underfoot was carved a name. The name of a man who was also buried in the war cemetery, only a tiny black “x” marking the place where he lay. If he was lucky, maybe his name was on that “x” too. But supposedly “in loving and grateful memory,” every man who died had his named carved into the streets underfoot. It might have been a touching gesture if the doing of it had actually cost the crown something.
Will sighed and shook his head. That was the single biggest problem with the prince: he never thought about what his people actually wanted. Hopefully, once he was out of mourning for Richard, Prince John would figure out how things actually worked when one ruled a country. His grief was a good excuse. For the moment.

message 7: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 5/25/18--1,355 words

So nice to not have to fly through a book...I'm making it leisurely and that's been kind of relaxing XD

Snippet:
The door to the kitchen flew open. The waitress, her bun flapping behind her head like it needed a few more pins, strode towards him. Will slid backwards on the stool. Her hand went up and she pointed to him.
He cringed, preparing for her to yell at him to get out. The roaring in his ears was too loud. Time to get out of here.
He was just preparing to jump up off the bench when what she was actually saying filtered into his ears. “Good morning, sir! And what can I get you today?”

message 8: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 5/25/18-- 1,511 words (Written today...I'm going to this since I have to figure it out anyway XD)

Snippet:
He wore a red armband. He should be pampered, chubby, sending servants to and fro at the flick of his finger. Not fighting his own battles. Not working for himself.
But that armband had been blue until a month ago. He wasn’t used to being pampered; he still wasn’t. He pounded a fist against his chest.
“You know exactly who I am. Did you miss my name before? It’s Will Scarlet. The sheriff’s boy. I won a competition that I’m sure you watched. You have to be tough to get to the top in this world. I’m sure you know that...a big strong man like you threatening a girl to steal her money. Give it back, now.”

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments This is interesting.... I like robin hood... a retelling sounds interesting! I shall cheer you on!

message 10: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Ahhh! Yay! Snippets! I'm so excited to see the direction your going to go with this story. And great word counts! :D

message 11: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Thanks, guys! I’m pretty excited about it myself 😊

message 12: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments 5/27/18--218 words

Snippet:
Will stood there for a long moment. “Men like me,” he muttered, “don’t think we can make it to the top without even trying, Mr. Orange. We fight and we sweat and we pull our way up by the sweat on our back. You were born where you are. You should know better than to look down on those less than you. Just luck got you to where you are now.”
Whereas he had worked and fought and climbed.

The Daydreamologist (thedaydreamologist) We fight and we sweat and we pull our way up by the sweat on our back.
This sentence is kind of funny.
Lovely snippet, Faith!

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hawthorn (catherinehawthorn) Will Scarlet, a sheriff's boy? I'm liking this retelling already!!

message 15: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments To Catch A Falling Star wrote: "We fight and we sweat and we pull our way up by the sweat on our back.
This sentence is kind of funny.
Lovely snippet, Faith!"

agh, I see that....Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix it XD

message 16: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Catherine wrote: "Will Scarlet, a sheriff's boy? I'm liking this retelling already!!"

I'm glad! ^_^