Play Book Tag discussion

We Have Always Lived in the Castle
May 2018: Family Drama > We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments This little gothic family drama classic is a gem! What a lovely surprise! Originally published in 1962, it has held its appeal and I found it to be eerie yet heartfelt, ominous yet touching, with well drawn characters and a gradual building of suspense that kept me turning the pages (or in my case tapping the ereader!). I wouldn't call it horror, although it is creepy. It wasn't quite mystery either. Gothic whimsy sounds like an apt description? Whatever it is, I really enjoyed reading it.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I loved this. Written in a way to make you feel slightly uncomfortable. Just when you get settled again, the story makes you uncomfortable. I think it's amazing story telling. Jackson is the master at making you mildly uncomfortable.

Susie | 4488 comments And the fact that it has stood the test of time is remarkable. It could have been written this year.

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments This is my favorite by Jackson. I still have three more of hers to read, but this has stuck with me through the years. My older son loved it, too.

message 5: by Ladyslott (last edited May 27, 2018 08:17AM) (new) - added it

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I just recently bought this for my Kindle. This review really is pushing me to read it.

Susie | 4488 comments I think you’ll appreciate it Linda.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6402 comments I loved this. Just two days ago I got an email from my niece ... As a young girl she avoided any mysteries or thrillers because she "didn't like anything scary." Now, she's read a couple of Ruth Ware's books and is asking me for recommendations. THIS one was high on the list.

message 8: by annapi (last edited May 26, 2018 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

annapi | 5159 comments This has been languishing on my TBR for some time...I may get to it some time this year as it would fulfill my last book for the Listopia challenge.

Susie | 4488 comments It’s quite short Anna, which makes it more appealing to choose!

annapi | 5159 comments Susie wrote: "It’s quite short Anna, which makes it more appealing to choose!"

Really? I'll move it up on my list then!

Susie | 4488 comments 146 pages.