Play Book Tag discussion

Atonement
This topic is about Atonement
May 2018: Family Drama > Atonement - Ian McEwan - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (last edited May 23, 2018 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susie | 4488 comments I have wanted to read this for years, and Nicole's intense dislike for it has led me to want to read it even more to see where my opinion lies! It's a hard one. There are parts that are skilled and stunning. I really enjoyed the first part and it felt as though it was shaping up to be a four or five star read. McEwan's prose can be absolutely beautiful, his descriptions a joy to read. But then there was the rest of the novel, where the descriptions became tedious and overdone, and I felt bored. I didn't much care for the sections about the fighting, and I found Briony to be insufferable, even at the end. All around a very unbalanced read for me, but ultimately I would say that it fell short and I don't think I would recommend it.

Idit | 1028 comments I agree about the first part. I thought it was so beautiful, and when I was reading on, I resented the rest of the book, especially the last bit.
But after I finished I’ve realised that for me, the strength of the first part would have weakened without the rest. Without Brionee giving her atonement by offering them a story.
The perfection of the first part was emphasising the horribleness of the missed happiness and in my eyes it worked well together into a very memorable book. I’ve read it years ago and it still echos in my mind.

Susie | 4488 comments I listened to the audio and I wonder if that was a mistake. It was well done, but perhaps it lost something in translation.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm on my third audio now and its still a struggle for me. My first time I actually just had to switch to the book, and the last two I've been able to listen to. But even with the last two I find myself struggling at times and wonder if I wouldn't if I was reading the book.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments This is one of my least favorite books of all time. Just mere mention of it causes me to see red.

message 6: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments This book was recently a trivia question (that I got wrong) because apparently it is a recent NYT bestseller.... I can't decide if I want to read this or not though.

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments I don't remember enough specific thoughts about this book, other than I thought it was OK but not great. I don't think I liked Briony either though.

Susie | 4488 comments Rachel, I found that it took some time to become accustomed to listening to audiobooks. It’s almost as if it is a skill you have to learn, and each new one requires a level of concentration to get in the zone. I do love them now. My favourites have been The Signature of All Things, Life After Life, Freedom, The Goldfinch, and Ready Player One.

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 9391 comments Nicole you made me laugh out loud! I completely appreciate you.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments And I was in the "loved it" camp ...

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm on my third audio now and its still a struggle for me. My first time I actually just had to switch to the book, and the last two I've been able to listen to. But even with the last two I find m..."

I agree with Susie. It took me about 3-5 books to get comfortable. My first one was really hard for beginning audiobooks. Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln But then I read the whole Ringworld series which doesn't require much though, just enjoy the story and that is when I became comfortable with audiobooks.