Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Japanese Horror Novels/Authors

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5537 comments Mod
I haven't read many Japanese horror books, but I have watched many J-Horror movies and anime and am a fan.

I'm familiar with Koji Suzuki's work and I also read The Crimson Labyrinth by Yusuke Kishi and really liked it.

Does anybody have suggestions for other similar Japanese horror writers whose works you can find in English?

message 2: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Ryu Murakami wrote Audition, In the miso soup and piercing. All worth a try. His books are very thought provoking

message 3: by JL (new)

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 149 comments You should also check out Otsuichi's books and if you don't mind older stuff, should definitely read some of Edogawa Rampo's collections.

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5537 comments Mod
I actually have Audition and Miso Soup on my to-read list.
Was not familiar with Otsuichi or Rampo, but will definitely check them out.

Thanks for the recs!

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5537 comments Mod
I'm currently reading Mariko Koike's The Graveyard Apartment. It's not bad. Dragging out a little more than seems necessary, but a decent slow-building haunting story.

Has anyone read this or other books by Koike?

message 6: by Nuzo (new)

Nuzo Onoh (goodreadscomnuzo_onoh) | 9 comments love Japanese horror but must confess haven't read any Koike (your comments not recommending it to me, alas :) Otsuichi, Koji Suzuki, Yoko Ogawa & Ishiguro amongst my favs. Just love Summer, Fireworks and my corpse by Otsuichi

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5537 comments Mod
The Graveyard Apartment was good. It wasn't phenomenal, but was a decent read, although the ending was quite ambiguous and makes me wonder if a sequel was ever planned.

message 8: by Benjamin (last edited Jun 10, 2018 09:57PM) (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) Junji Ito's manga is widely available over here and well worth reading - especially The Enigma of Amigara Fault

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Gallagher (katiejanegallagher) | 6 comments Benjamin wrote: "Junji Ito's manga is widely available over here and well worth reading - especially The Enigma of Amigara Fault"

Ooh, I'll second this one. It's stuck with me for years.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 405 comments Katie wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "Junji Ito's manga is widely available over here and well worth reading - especially The Enigma of Amigara Fault"

Ooh, I'll second this one. It's stuc..."

Thirded! My boyfriend still has random dreams about this although we read it years ago.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Another by Yukito Ayatsuji

The first 80% percents of the novel is rather slow-paced, the rest... Well, go see it for yourself. I definitely recommend it.

message 12: by Gordon (new)

Gordon | 63 comments Hideaki Sena's Parasite Eve (it was also a PlayStation game).

message 13: by Jamesboggie (new)

Jamesboggie (goodreadscomjamesboggie) | 24 comments I have not read any Japanese novels yet, but I have Ring and The Graveyard Apartment on my list.

message 14: by Comrade (new)

Comrade (comradebookwyrm) | 2 comments Try out Strangers by Taichi Yamada, quite an enigmatic ghost story.