What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/childrens mystery, a girl notices outside her house that there is an extra window that doesn't match up to the rooms inside the house. Inside she finds a secret staircase/room.

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise Joy (new)

Louise Joy | 2 comments I think she finds treasure in the hidden room. I think it was a fairly short book and I read it from the school library so perhaps it was quite common. I read this in primary school so probably around 1996 ish.

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments In The Four-Story Mistake, sort of the opposite happens. The kids find a secret room, but then felt stupid because they should have realized that the inside windows didn't match up with the outside windows. There's no actual treasure in the room, though (later Randy finds a (view spoiler))

message 3: by Polly (new)

Polly (pollya) | 136 comments The Diamond in the Window has a secret room that's found that way, and there is a treasure, although it's not instantly the result of finding the room, and I wouldn't call it a short book, at least not by kid standards.

message 4: by Bargle (last edited Aug 06, 2020 05:05PM) (new)

Bargle | 1387 comments I know I've read a book with that story idea, but I couldn't tell you what it was. Maybe a Hardy Boys or Dana Girls entry.

House with extra window thread 1.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36622 comments Mod
Hardy Boys series and Dana Girls mystery stories - Bargle's suggestion

message 6: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Bargle wrote: "I know I've read a book with that story idea, but I couldn't tell you what it was. Maybe a Hardy Boys or Dana Girls entry."

I was thinking Nancy Drew: #1-64 or The Bobbsey Twins Series. I thought it might have been in one of the Katie Johns but I glanced through 1-3 and the only "secret room" they found was the dumbwaiter.

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben | 1 comments Something like this also happens in The Third Policeman - or, as I like to call it, the greatest book ever written.

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Was this book a fantasy at all? Moon Window has a hidden room like that.

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21141 comments Ten Kids, No Pets?

Candy does find a secret room with a window that she'd noticed from outside but hadn't been able to match up to the rest of the house. Inside the room is a diary.

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21141 comments Louise, were any of the books mentioned the right one?

message 11: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 3300 comments This also happens in The Steps Up the Chimney by William Corlett.

message 12: by Aarna (new)

Aarna Jeve | 15 comments Alice in wonderland?

message 13: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36622 comments Mod
Louise Joy, are you still looking for this book?

message 14: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 330 comments The Secret Of Moon Castle? It's about a group of children moving into a new castle for a short stay. They realise that the distance between the walls and rooms don't add up (which means there is a secret passage)

message 15: by Sian (last edited Jul 21, 2021 10:50PM) (new)

Sian (scampbelljar) | 4 comments I'm also looking for this book. I can't remember much about it, but I remember there was only one girl, as far as I recall she had no siblings. It was a chapter book and if I had to guess, was published somewhere between the 50s and 70s. It felt like a post-war book. It didn't really feel like a series when I was reading it, just a stand-alone book, and it wasn't a fantasy. It seemed to involve a girl moving with just her mother, I think, to a new house, and I have a vague recollection of her hanging out in a graveyard and a clocktower, and maybe getting sick and her mother not being there for some reason, or she was lost, and she was found and brought in by a nice family?? From my memory it had a super simple name, like "Karen and the Secret Window" or something. I remember how she found the secret window - she noticed it while she was outside and realised it didn't correspond with any of the windows inside the house. I have absolutely no idea what happened when she finally made it into the room though. I don't recall there being any treasure or anything special, maybe just a box of trinkets/mementos or something like that.

message 16: by Florence (new)

Florence | 649 comments Coralline by Neil gaiman?

message 17: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21141 comments Similar thread with some suggestions....

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I really think Louise's book might be Ten Kids, No Pets, but that's too recent to be the one Sian is looking for. Sian, you might want to make a separate post for your own book. It'll get more eyes on it.