Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) Catching Fire discussion

Am I the only one who couldn't stand Johanna?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dominique Well, I couldn't.
As I mentioned in my review, she was the reason I gave the book one star less than I intended. From virgin-shaming Katniss/making her & Peeta uncomfortable (yes, I'm aware that the other past victors did that, too), to making fun of others (who either appear to be traumatized or have ambiguous mental disorders), to slapping Katniss hard across the face and insulting her, and to...just constantly complaining.
And yet, all of the fandom loves her.

To me, her "There's no one left that I love" line seemed like a quick and random way of the author saying "Ooh, look! Sympathetic backstory! Gotta feel sorry for her!"
I was actually hoping for her to die, even though I'm also aware that she's in Mockingjay -- in which she and Katniss begin to get along better in, too.
Towards the end, when Beetee was in trouble, I shouted in my head, 'No, Beetee...! I liked you 10x better than Johanna!"
Yeah, I know that she saved Katniss by (brutally) cutting out her tracker, but if I were in Katniss's shoes, I'd never even try to befriend such a woman who hates my guts.

Booklover456 I didn't hate her, but she didn't make my top ten favorites. I hated the elevator incident!

Iris Johanna was the very best character in the book.

Derek I tend to relate towards angry characters.

message 5: by Ava (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ava I loved johanna

message 6: by Cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cat She was definitely irritating, and I agree with you.

Marci I didn't hate her but found her irritating. At the same time, I can halfhearted see why people like her. She's the product of circumstance. In fact, I could see Katniss becoming more like Johanna if Snow hadn't used the Quarter Quell to get her but rather some other means of making her suffer.

Annemarie Donahue I won't lie, I actually really liked it when she flipped out and started freaking out about how pissed she was. I love characters that don't hide rage. But I also thought the naked in the elevator scene was weird and a little out of character. I can see how people don't like her tho.

Daniel She was annoying at first, but then when I began to know her and her background better, I started to feel sympathy. In the re-read I just loved her, she's my favourite character in the book.

Amphitrite She was awesome in the beginning but then turned softer in the Mockingjay because of her fear of water. The Capitol ruined her

Angelica People like her because she's amazingly flawed. I mean, she's not the stereotypical girl who giggles and is nice to everyone; she's blunt and can come off as obnoxious, but that's why we can relate to her.

Natalie Johanna is a sort of hit or miss character- most people either absolutely hate her or love her. I loved her because she was blunt, pissed, and ready to change the world.

Sparrowlicious I forgot who she is, to be honest. Apparently she wasn't a very prominent character in the book or I would've remembered her better. (This also happens when you have a huge cast of characters but none of them is interesting or 3-dimensional.)

Sophie Sparrowlicious wrote: "I forgot who she is, to be honest. Apparently she wasn't a very prominent character in the book or I would've remembered her better. (This also happens when you have a huge cast of characters but n..."

:0 Cant agree with you there sorry! I know some of the characters are a little flat but not most of them and def not ALL!

TheBohemianBookworm She is overrated. I never understood the hype. I think she's kind of mean.

TheBohemianBookworm Sparrowlicious wrote: "I forgot who she is, to be honest. Apparently she wasn't a very prominent character in the book or I would've remembered her better. (This also happens when you have a huge cast of characters but n..."

Ha! I agree. Collins stinks with character development with the exception of Peeta and Katniss

message 17: by Abby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abby She just kinda got on my nerves.. but so does a lot of other people lol

message 18: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy Everybody knows she can be mean, but she said it in the games. There's no one left that she loves. And then she helps Katniss live. So you got to give her credit for that.

Sophia I actually really liked her! I like how she was blunt, honest, and well...angry.

Sandra Hofmann I think the elevator incident was hilarious! But later Johanna started to irritate me. It wasn't bad enough to dislike her, but she never made it into my top ranking of favourte characters, either.

Dominique Annemarie wrote: "But I also thought the naked in the elevator scene was weird and a little out of character."
How so? It was her first appearance!

Annemarie Donahue Dominique wrote: "Annemarie wrote: "But I also thought the naked in the elevator scene was weird and a little out of character."
How so? It was her first appearance!"

When you first meet people they get naked in the elevator? This is not a shared experience.

Daniel I understand Dominique. It was weird, but not out of character, it's part of Johanna's personality, she's just no average girl.

We must keep in mind she apparently has no relatives or friends, since she says there is no one the government could harm to hurt her. So my guess is she naturally looks for attention from others and the elevator scene is part of that.

Selma I didn't care much for Johanna in the beginning and found her a bit irritating, but as I got to know the character better I really liked her!

Nuran She didn't really stand out much, I'm surprised you have such strong reactions to her. Plus, not every character can be the same, that be boring. Both Johanna and Katniss clearly suffer from post traumatic stress. Katniss took it out on Peeta when he needed her most, and Johanna took it out on Katniss.

They're both quite alike, it's just Johanna is more crude.

Kelly Brigid ♡ Dominique wrote: "Well, I couldn't.
As I mentioned in my review, she was the reason I gave the book one star less than I intended. From virgin-shaming Katniss/making her & Peeta uncomfortable (yes, I'm aware that th..."

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU! Finally, someone agrees with me! I hated her in Catching Fire! Perverted situations like in the elevator are NOT FUNNY , they're disgusting! She disgusted me. I didn't down-right hate her character where I wanted her to die, but I did not like her.

message 27: by Iris (new) - rated it 3 stars

Iris I didn't like that they didn't give me her backstory. She said "there is no one left that I love." What happened to them? I want to know. She was the best character and they just glazed over her story.

Julia I actually loved Johanna. She was the truth of The Hunger Games. The lifestyle and rules and districts and etc. destroyed her life, causing her to be angry at the world. It's totally fine that you don't like her, but I understood her, and her actions, even if a lot of them didn't seem necessary. I get her anger and her reality checks. I think that's what truly makes a great character.

message 29: by Maha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maha Hyari I liked her when she said to katniss :"let him pay for it"

Dominique Iris wrote: "I didn't like that they didn't give me her backstory. She said "there is no one left that I love." What happened to them? I want to know. She was the best character and they just glazed over her st..."
Some fans have theorized that all her family & friends were killed as a price for refusing to prostitute herself.

message 31: by Dominique (last edited Nov 16, 2014 03:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dominique I have to say, ever since I read Catching Fire, I've actually become much more interested in the Good is Not Nice trope!
When I started watching Attack on Titan on Toonami, Captain Levi reminded me so much of Johanna! Other examples of this trope would be Raphael from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Doctor from Doctor Who, and Aragorn and Gandalf from Lord of the Rings.

I also really like Marci's theory of Katniss becoming more like Johanna if the Quarter Quell hadn't happened -- in fact, after reading that the first time, I began to understand & respect Johanna's characterization a little more.
I'd also read a similar thing on an IMDb message board, with someone saying that they see Clint Barton (Hawkeye) as a "more selfish version" of Steve Rogers (Captain America), if Steve had grown up in the '80s instead.

message 32: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I don't hate her. She stands up for herself, although I don't really like her methods!

Annemarie Donahue Dominique wrote: "I have to say, ever since I read Catching Fire, I've actually become much more interested in the Good is Not Nice trope!
When I started watching Attack on Titan on Toonami, Captain Levi reminded m..."

I've always loved the anti-hero idea. Good=/=nice is my favorite type of hero. Particularly Mal from Firefly. He's nice, but he's a bad guy, but he's a good guy.

message 34: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy Johanna is misunderstood. She wanted to live. That's why she did all those things in her games. And she saved Katniss's life and she did lose all of her family.

message 35: by Iris (last edited Nov 16, 2014 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Iris Dominique wrote: "Iris wrote: "I didn't like that they didn't give me her backstory. She said "there is no one left that I love." What happened to them? I want to know. She was the best character and they just glaze..."

I thought that too, but I would like to know for sure. They might have been killed for some other reason. She might have prostituted herself to keep them safe but then they were murdered for something she said or did. Then of course she stopped prostituting herself. It would explain her certain type of anger (she seems jealous of people who love but at the same time she thinks less of them) and her sympathy with Finnick, who is always careful with what he says and who he says it to, and who, of course, prostitutes himself.

That's what I always thought anyway. But again, I would have loved to have confirmation or something. I was waiting the whole third book for it...what a rip off.

Dominique Iris wrote: "I was waiting the whole third book for it...what a rip off."
Hm, who knows? Maybe she'll get her own spin-off someday like Captain Levi did. After all, fans have been wanting Suzanne Collins to write a prequel about the very first Hunger Games.
But, in my opinion, I don't think we need to learn more about her background. Just that one line, "There's no one left that I love," seemed like it was enough to explain why she was that way. Same thing with Haymitch -- I thought that he should get a spin-off prequel, but then realized that we already learned about him plenty after Katniss & Peeta watched his Hunger Games tape.

message 37: by Iris (new) - rated it 3 stars

Iris Yeah but we saw Haymitch's. And I didn't want a whole book, just one paragraph. Oh well...

Dominique You're not going to believe this: Having seen the Catching Fire movie, I'm actually a little disappointed that Johanna didn't appear to be as mean as in the book! They cut out or altered her more harsher lines, and made her get along with Katniss a bit more smoothly. A lot of people say that they captured her so perfectly, but I tend to disagree.
I know it's strange to admit that I'm disappointed after that rant, but then I remember, as much as I disliked The Great Gatsby - especially for that downer ending - I was interested in seeing its adaptations, just to see if the actors playing Tom & Daisy would do justice at showing how nasty these characters are.

message 39: by Lana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lana She was one of the few characters i actually liked.

message 40: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy Lana wrote: "She was one of the few characters i actually liked."

I liked pretty much all the characters but she was one of my favorites.

message 41: by A.J. (new) - rated it 3 stars

A.J. I totally agree Dominique. I can't stand her. I thought she was just Collins' 'nasty' character. She was supper annoying(more annoying than Katniss even)
and she was inappropriate in almost every part she was in. I do not understand why so many people like her. She down graded the book for me.