Springfield-Greene County Library District discussion

Vote for the Great Springfield-Greene Read!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited May 23, 2018 03:02PM) (new)

Heather | 146 comments Mod
Help the Springfield-Greene County Library and Ozarks Public Television determine the Great Springfield-Greene Read! We've been inspired by the Great American Read, an eight-part PBS series celebrating the power, passion and joy of reading through the lens of America's 100 best-loved books, as chosen by the public. Check out the Great American Read website to vote for your favorite of the 100 titles; the results of the nationwide poll will be revealed during the Great American Read series finale in October. On the site, you can also take a quiz to see how many of the 100 books you've read, watch the kick-off episode, and find out how to join the Great American Read Book Club.

For the Great Springfield-Greene Read, we're using the same list as the national campaign. We're putting them up for vote 10 at a time, with a runoff of the top 10 as chosen by our fans this fall. Comment below to let us know which is your favorite of this batch:

1984 by George Orwell
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Alex Cross Mysteries (series) by James Patterson
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

You can also vote on the Springfield-Greene County Library Facebook page, Twitter @springfieldlib, and Instagram @springfieldgreenecountylibrary.

Thank you for your vote!

message 2: by Annora (new)

Annora Nin | 2 comments 1984 by George Orwell

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 33 comments This was a difficult choice for me, but I'm going with "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" (I really like "1984" and "Americanah," too)

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric Wells (mrgrnegz) | 2 comments 1984. As a child, it was the first book that I ever read in which the protagonist didn't win. I was incredibly pissed at the book for weeks, but I also understood why he couldn't win.

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla | 8 comments A Prayer for Owen Meany

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 33 comments Eric wrote: "1984. As a child, it was the first book that I ever read in which the protagonist didn't win. I was incredibly pissed at the book for weeks, but I also understood why he couldn't win."

I felt the same way reading that book in high school. The ending made me so angry, but when I read it when I was older it made more sense.

message 7: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 1 comments 1984

message 8: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 4 comments Americanah!

message 9: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (mirda) | 50 comments Mod
Am I disqualified if I vote on more than one social media platform? LOLz

I voted "Tom Sawyer" on Facebook, but if I can I'd like to also throw in a vote for "The Alchemist." I read that book at just the right time in my life.

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Van Iwaarden | 1 comments Alice Adventures in Wonderland

message 11: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 1 comments Adventures of Tom Sawyer

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 5 comments Mod
Miranda wrote: "Am I disqualified if I vote on more than one social media platform? LOLz

I voted "Tom Sawyer" on Facebook, but if I can I'd like to also throw in a vote for "The Alchemist." I read that book at ju..."

You are welcome to vote on as many platforms as you wish, Miranda. We're also counting votes on Instagram and Twitter.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Chapman (traveljenn) | 1 comments Torn between 1984 and Americanah.

message 14: by Cassy (new)

Cassy | 3 comments A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!

message 15: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Belle | 3 comments A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

message 16: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 11 comments I'm going to have to go with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland