Play Book Tag discussion

The War Bride's Scrapbook
This topic is about The War Bride's Scrapbook
Archive: Other Books > The War Bride's Scrapbook - Preston - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jgrace | 3112 comments This book is clearly family drama, but I read it last month so I'm putting the review here.

The War Bride’s Scrapbook - Preston
3 stars

This was a very attractive book that looked exactly like the title. Each page is a mock-up of a scrapbook filled with WW2 memorabilia, newspaper clippings, magazine pictures, ticket stubs, etc. There are also letters and telegrams that were exchanged between the bride and her soldier. These letters (and possibly diary entries, the book went back to the library a while ago so I’m not sure about that) tell the story of this wartime marriage.

Essentially, Lila Jerome has a brief love affair and impulsively marries Perry Weld just before he ships out to the European theater. She builds the scrapbook and a new independence while her stranger/husband is away fighting. There’s a clear contrast between the glossy war propaganda that fills the pages, reality of the war, and the problems with the impulsive marriage.

At first I enjoyed the scrapbook illustrations of this book. It was like walking through an antique mall. It reminded me of the scrapbooks my great aunts would sit down and make with my gaggle of cousins at family gatherings when I was little. (Piles of magazines+scissors + glue = cheap entertainment.) But, after awhile I was overloaded with the minutiae that cluttered the pages. It overwhelmed the story of the relationship. The wartime marriage story could have been a good book if there had been a bit more content to the text. As it was, I just lost interest.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6886 comments Jgrace wrote: "This book is clearly family drama, but I read it last month so I'm putting the review here.

3 stars

This was a very attractive book that looked exactly like..."

Sounds like an intriguing concept. Too bad it didn't quite work out.

Jgrace | 3112 comments Booknblues wrote: "Jgrace wrote: "This book is clearly family drama, but I read it last month so I'm putting the review here.

3 stars

This was a very attractive book that look..."

You'd think with all the years I spent with picture books I would like this kind of thing and/or graphic novels. But, I wanted more story and less distraction. I'm sure lots of people would like it better than I did.

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6886 comments You would think. I'm going to hold off as per your suggestion.

The truth is, I try to avoid children's stories outside of work and my library can attest to how much I love picture books.

I don't watch cartoons or read graphic novels, because they both tread into what I do for a living.