The Challenge Factory discussion

The Demon Lover (Fairwick Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Demon Lover
2018 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Elena & Krissy - Demon Lover

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elena | 1382 comments Elena & Krissy - Demon Lover

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments Here! I'm already 2hrs 40mins in

Elena | 1382 comments i'm at about the same !

Callie just met Phoenix and Phoenix insisted on moving in with her ... She is super annoying , plus seems suspicious to me ! I have a feeling there must be something wrong with her that we find out later on ...

Dalia's manuscripts seem a little too raunchy for 18th century tho ... hahaha maybe i'm not aware of 18th century erotica...

Anyways - are all these people actually supernatural creatures? And really - what's with the "we came by land" - ?! As opposed to flying like a vampire / witch on a broom?!

Elena | 1382 comments Ugh ... That Eastern European girl - Mara - was introduced ... I have a personal pet peeve - when authors throw all the Balkan/Eastern European nations in the same basket (usually calling them all Russian :)) ), so needless to say , the whole "she must be Bosnian, Chechnyan or Serbian" comment made me roll my eyes , considering Chechnya is closer to Iran than E.Europe ... :))

Anyhow - moving on :)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments I'm going to assume everybody in this town is supernatural. Or at least know about it. By the weird comments and the way they are behaving. Especially about the house.

Elena | 1382 comments Ok so im about half way through.... They have banished the demon/caused a crazy storm , her boyfriend couldn’t come ... she visited him (view spoiler) ....

Im at the part where she is going to that supernatural library to look up some two witches. I totally missed how she got those two names and how does she know one of them is the one who put a curse on Nicky (is that the girl’s name?) ? Im listening at a fast speed (for me!) and i think i missed it .... But basically - she has two potential names :)

message 7: by Elena (last edited May 25, 2018 05:40AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Elena | 1382 comments What the hell ?! So the incubus is gone for real ?! I thought this book was about Callie and the incubus - but it seems to be about EVERYTHING else ... And now she's shacking up with Liam ?! WTF?! It may be just me - but Liam seems like a creep to me ... he's abrupt, moody , and weird. And I bet he has some hidden agenda ! And he's probably supernatural , too!

I don't know, for me this book started off great, but has then digressed into too many mysteries, too many characters ALL with their own mysteries ... I guess it's a setup for a series, but still - I am not loving how we are all over the place and never given any real answers... Everything is too bogus! (Ie. the gnat thing jumping out of the book to eat her?! wtf was that?! Or the thing in the forest on New Year's Eve - biting off her leg?! What are these things and why are they attacking her constantly!? )

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments I agree with you. I thought the incubus was going to be her main love interest so wtf is up with Liam. I don't like or trust that guy.

There is just so much extra in this story. It's like the author wanted to squeeze in as much supernatural shit as she could. Shit that doesn't add to the story at all. It's just there. Like the book bug thing. What was the point of that?

Don't get me started on the Paul thing. Her reaction to that was ridiculous. He not only cheated on her but was having a full blown relationship with somebody else and lying to her about it. And she barely flinched. Just okay I guess I'll go now.

Another thing that is annoying me is the author is very repetitive. How many times does she say "that came out *insert adjective* than I intended." And how many times did she "think she saw something" just to immediately dismiss it.

I don't think the world building in this book is very strong. The writing is mediocre at best

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments My favorite character is the little mouse

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments She always just "dismisses" everything that is suspicious. It's so frustrating

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments Yes, let's just fling accusations at Frank without all the facts

message 12: by Krissy (last edited May 25, 2018 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments OH, I forgot. It annoyed the shit out of me when she would get offended and upset at anybody who said anything against Phoenix. As if she did nothing wrong and they had no right to say anything bad about her!

Elena | 1382 comments YES!!! she kept defending Phoenix the whole time!!!! Like what is wrong with you ?! This person LIED about her whole life - who she is, what happened to her, her abuse, her WHOLE childhood and upbringing - and she based her "TRUE STORY" on these made up events! Who does that out of the goodness of their heart?! Obviously she was doing this for money and fame.... And she is teaching kids to find "the truth within themselves"... Come on!!! And the excuse is - what? That she is bipolar?! ok!

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments She was surprised Mara knew which finger an engagement ring sits on??? And the other girls had no idea???? Um... isn't that just common knowledge??????

Elena | 1382 comments Right?!? I was like “oook, big f’ing deal to know which finger is the ring-finger and which hand is the wrong hand!! ” (although i wear mine on the wrong hand hahahha )

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments Another scene where she was surprised Mara knew something. If I were Mara I would have been insulted. She apparently thinks Mara is an idiot

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments Gah... it is so OBVIOUS what is happening! She is so freaking clueless

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments Finished!

Elena | 1382 comments Finished last night, but was too tired to go on Goodreads, i passed out ;)

Yess!!! So regardless of the fact that Mara was “the bad guy” (which was obvious from the heavy foreshadowing right from the start), it was so annoying how she assumed Mara was an idiot!
“Ohhh look , Mara knows the ring hand!!! Ohhh look, Mara knows how to use the word “correlation” in context, oh look....” Realistically, this girl got accepted to a university as an exchange student- so she must be reasonably smart ...the fact that her English is bad doesn’t mean she’s a moron. Although it’s annoying how in books and movies they think it’s enough to give someone an accent and immediately call their grasp of the language bad... As Mara, for example, barely made mistakes when speaking - it’s the author stressing her awkward English that made me think of Mara’s English (and obviously the accent of the narrator). Couldn’t the author have written Mara as actually barely speaking English? With incorrect words, verb forms, pronouns, and all?? For people who don’t have the audiobook to listen to the narrator’s awful accent, lol.

Other than that - what thefuck did we just read?????????
That was pretty bad!!!! That had somuch potential but ended upbeing soooo bad!! Words escape me....

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments I'm with you 100%. I couldn't decide whether to rate it 1 or 2 stars. I finally decided on 2 stars but honestly it is around 1.5. Callie was not a very likable heroine. I wanted to smack her clueless ass so many times.

Elena | 1382 comments she was soooo clueless !!! things happen, she gets "suspicious" then , like a goldfish, her attention span snaps her somewhere else and she forgets about her initial suspicion and just moves on thinking and talking about something else.

Oh and the ending with the bird and the ridiculous way (and reason) that it all went down .... COME ON!

Elena | 1382 comments and i love how Phoenix just disappeared halfway through the book ?!?!?!?!

Elena | 1382 comments yup /// 2*

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3330 comments BARELY 2 stars lol