Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Buddy Reads) > June Buddy Read - Truth or Beard (Chiara, Bianca)

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8418 comments **

message 2: by Chiara (last edited May 23, 2018 10:57PM) (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Hi Bianca!
I’ve checked your books and we just have 3 in common!
Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen
Good Boy (WAGs, #1) by Sarina Bowen
Kulti by Mariana Zapata (which you’re currently reading!)

We could read one of Sarina’s books or, maybe, something else by Mariana Zapata! Otherwise let me know if you have other suggestions! ☺️

message 3: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) Chiara wrote: "Hi Bianca!
I’ve checked your books and we just have 3 in common!
Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen
Good Boy (WAGs, #1) by Sarina Bowen
Kulti by Mariana Zapata (which you’re currently reading!)

We coul..."

Hi Chiara! I somehow just saw this. I snagged Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen for free on Amazon and started reading it the other day. I like it so far! I wouldn't mind reading another book by Mariana Zapata. I'd also like to try an author I've never read before.

I looked through your want to read shelf. What do you think of these?

I Flipping Love You (Shacking Up, #3) by Helena Hunting

Hope Flames (Hope, #1) by Jaci Burton

Truth or Beard (Winston Brothers, #1) by Penny Reid

message 4: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Bianca wrote: "Chiara wrote: "Hi Bianca!
I’ve checked your books and we just have 3 in common..."

I got Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen for free on Amazon as well!! Too bad you’ve already started reading it!

Truth or Beard (Winston Brothers, #1) by Penny Reid sounds like a good story..I have a soft spot for bearded men! We could read this one if it’s ok for you!

message 5: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) Also Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs if you feel like paranormal.

message 6: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Bianca wrote: "Also Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs if you feel like paranormal."

I’m not a huge PNR reader! A friend of mine suggested that book to me a few days ago saying it’s a good one!
Anyway I’m ok with anything you want to read! ☺️

message 7: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) Chiara wrote: "Bianca wrote: "Also Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs if you feel like paranormal."

I’m not a huge PNR reader! A friend of mine suggested that book to me a few days ago saying it’s a good one!
Anyway I..."

Truth or Beard (Winston Brothers, #1) by Penny Reid sounds good to me! I'll look for it after work.

message 8: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Bianca wrote: "Chiara wrote: "Bianca wrote: "Also Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs if you feel like paranormal."

I’m not a huge PNR reader! A friend of mine suggested that book to me a few days ago saying it’s a goo..."

Ok, perfect!

message 9: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Hey Bianca,
when do you want to start our BR? You prefer to start reading it on the 1st or later?

message 10: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) How about the 1st? Does that work for you?

message 11: by Chiara (last edited May 29, 2018 10:52PM) (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Bianca wrote: "How about the 1st? Does that work for you?"

The 1st is ok for me!
Do you prefer to comment it as we read it or after we both finish it? I usually discuss it as I read it (using the spoiler tag if my BR partner is behind me), but if you prefer to discuss it after we finished reading it, it’s ok as well.

message 12: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) Chiara wrote: "Bianca wrote: "How about the 1st? Does that work for you?"

The 1st is ok for me!
Do you prefer to comment it as we read it or after we both finish it? I usually discuss it as I read it (using the ..."

I'm down to discuss it as we read it! :)

message 13: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Ok, perfect!

message 14: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Ready to start?!

message 15: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) Chiara wrote: "Ready to start?!"

Yes!

message 16: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Bianca wrote: "Chiara wrote: "Ready to start?!"

Yes!"

Great! Then I’ll start reading it later today :)

message 17: by Chiara (last edited Jun 05, 2018 11:34PM) (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Are you liking the story so far?
I haven’t read much of it, but I’m really enjoying it! I have a feeling this is gonna be a fun read!
The old trick of twins mix-up is hilarious!

Duane and Jessica are so cute together...I adore their bantering and the way they always challenge each other!

message 18: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Jessica thinks way too much about her future..she doesn’t want to explore her feelings for Duane and doesn’t even wanna date him cause in a few years she will move. I mean..cmon..you should live in the present and not focus so much on the future cause nothing in life in guaranteed apart from the present moment!

message 19: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Chapter 6

Duane is an old school kind of guy..he wants to go straight to the point, not thinking about hooking up or dating but instead thinking he wants to marry a Jessica! I’m sure if Jessica finds out she’s gonna be quite scared!!

message 20: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) Yes, I'm liking it so far! I'm not that into it yet, but the story is delightful.

message 21: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) I love Jessica. She's so funny.

And I really like that Duane has been in love with Jessica since they were teens. Usually the heroine falls in love first.

message 22: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Bianca wrote: "I love Jessica. She's so funny.

And I really like that Duane has been in love with Jessica since they were teens. Usually the heroine falls in love first."

Duane is a great guy..he has serious intentions towards Jess..maybe a bit too serious for Jessica’s liking!
And Jessica is a strong independent woman..and I like sassy heroines!

I’m on chapter 11..they just had a disastrous first date..I hope they’ll be able to find an agreement and start dating again!

message 23: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments All the Winston brothers are amazing..and their constant bickering is hilarious!!

message 24: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) Chiara wrote: "All the Winston brothers are amazing..and their constant bickering is hilarious!!"

Yeah, there's good bantering happening.

I'm on chapter eight now. I wasn't expecting the thing with the Iron Wraiths. I wonder how dangerous that's going to get.

message 25: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Bianca wrote: "Chiara wrote: "All the Winston brothers are amazing..and their constant bickering is hilarious!!"

Yeah, there's good bantering happening.

I'm on chapter eight now. I wasn't expecting the thing w..."

I think the Iron Wraiths will bring a huge turning point to the story!
In fact, I’m on chapter 26 and (view spoiler)

message 26: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments And by the way..I really despise Tina..I’ve hated her throughout the entire story! She’s nothing but a selfish, hateful and jealous woman!

message 27: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) You're already finished?? I'm only on like chapter 11! (Work has been super busy this week.)

I was a little annoyed by Duane insisting on "courting" Jessica in that old-fashioned, patriarchal kind of way, but if she likes that, then who am I to say different?

One of the brothers has the same name as my dog haha.

message 28: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Bianca wrote: "You're already finished?? I'm only on like chapter 11! (Work has been super busy this week.)

I was a little annoyed by Duane insisting on "courting" Jessica in that old-fashioned, patriarchal kind..."

Yep I’ve finished a couple of days ago but don’t worry take your time!

Well Duane seems a real old fashion guy..he’s been in love with Jess since they were kids and he wants to do things right but maybe he’s a bit too pushy at the beginning with the courting thing..the “we’re suited” speech is a bit too much!!
And at the beginning he was too focused on the future. I mean..it’s crazy to stop a relationship after the first date just because Jess might leave in a couple of years...you should live day by day without planning too much..

message 29: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) Chiara wrote: "Bianca wrote: "You're already finished?? I'm only on like chapter 11! (Work has been super busy this week.)

I was a little annoyed by Duane insisting on "courting" Jessica in that old-fashioned, p..."

Yeah, it was a little over the top.

And I agree! You should give it a shot no matter what the future might have in store.

message 30: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) I did not see that twist about Jess's biological mother coming. There's so much going on! Haha.

message 31: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments Hey Bianca...you disappeared!
Did you end up finishing the book or not?

message 32: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) Yes, I finished it yesterday!

I have to say I wasn't impressed overall. It started off with some potential, but then it went into weird, culturally tone deaf territory with the mention of Cletus “..does it with a bunch of native Americans fellas, good guys. They all get together and run around the forest in loin cloths.” Like, what? Stereotype much? Also, the skinheads. A Jewish person probably wouldn't feel safe reading this book, and frankly, I was offended by the depiction of Native Americans. It's just not acceptable, especially in this political climate.

Other than that, there were a lot of typos and comma splices, so the writing itself came off as sloppy. I don't think I'll be reading anything else by this author. :/

message 33: by Chiara (new)

Chiara | 728 comments I'm sorry you didn't like it!
I've actually enjoyed it. Yes, maybe there were some clichés and stereotypes, but romance is not usually the most erudite literary genre!
Most of the times a romance novel is lighthearted and not particularly deep or developed and its main aim is to entertain. Or at least that's my point of view!
Of course there are better stories, with multi-layered characters and a more profound plot, but overall I've enjoyed Truth or Beard. It was an easy and light book and I took it for what it is!

I don't think I'm gonna be reading the next books of the series soon, because right now I have many other stories I'm more interested in reading..but maybe in a few months I'll go back to this series!