Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Adding New Books & Editions > MULTIPLES: Unable to list in library

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Sandys (jonathansandys) | 4 comments Hi, I have several copies of various books and also some with additional formats such as Kindle. I am unable to list them apart from creating a new book, which then adds to your system with irrelevant information. I have requested Librarian status, but have not heard anything on this. Please, will you either open the ability for users to add multiple books and editions, without having to list them individually so they can all have the same ISBN, or, please will you upgrade me to Librarian status so I can add the books I have. Thank you.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Hi, you have this posted already in a different group. Librarian status will not change the system structure. You can add books without being a librarian.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Sandys (jonathansandys) | 4 comments I'm aware I can add them, but then you have multiple books of exactly the same ISBN, which will eventually need to be sorted. But hey, I'm happy to go ahead and do this. I just wanted the chance to list the number of copies I have of books. For instance, I have fifty copies of one book, same ISBN, but I need to know what is in my library, therefore I will have to list 50 copies of the same book.

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy* (last edited May 23, 2018 11:31AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Jonathan wrote: "I'm aware I can add them, but then you have multiple books of exactly the same ISBN, which will eventually need to be sorted. But hey, I'm happy to go ahead and do this. I just wanted the chance to..."

No. You cannot have muliple books with the same ISBN. You can have ONE book with the isbn - the rest either have to have a different number or NO number.

ETA: This has to be a DIFFERENT edition of the book. Something must show a reason to have an extra copy in the system. Different cover. Different text. New author pen name. New Publisher. New format. ETC

If you have 50 copies of the same book and all 50 copies are the same format with the same ISBN, you just add 50 copies to YOUR shelves.

Not the system. YOUR SHELVES.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45450 comments Mod
To shelve/review multiple editions of a work: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/7...

If you have more than one copy of a single edition (same format, ISBN, cover) you would have to make a note to that effect. Goodreads has no way to shelve the same edition more than once. Just to list multiple read dates.

However, none of this has anything to do with Goodreads Librarian status or what Goodreads Librarians do. For questions pertaining to general site functionality or related issues, try the Feedback Group, or you may wish to use the Contact Us link on the Help page.

Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.