NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

NetGalley Tips > 80 % badge on NetGalley

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by MarylineD (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments Hey,
I LOVE reading! I
I have over 1200 books (paper books) and in Feb started reading ebooks and joined NetGalley. I requested 4 right away and 2 were approved! so then my feedback ratio was 0% as I had 2 books to read and no reviews! I since then read and reviewed them and was at 100% and then requested more that were denied! 😦 I wanted to improve my approval ratio so found out the “read now” part of the site and found some good books there!
I don’t request (or “read now”) books to get ratio, I do want to read them and only ask (or read now) books I’m interested in and review them! I read like one book per week, sometimes more!
With the “read now” at least I can’t be denied and I did review and got a great ratio and decided it was smarter to only request more after I was done reading because at first I would request like 10 books in one day (before I knew you had 54 days to read them!) and my ratio would drop as I can’t read and review everything at once!
Then some publishers really liked my reviews and made me a top reviewer so I earned that badge along with the 10+ reviews.

But my feedback ratio has been over 80% for over 2 weeks and I still don’t have that badge, why??? Just wondering!
I already have 3 badges but was wondering how come not that one? I was at 87% last week and 94% now!

How long do you have to be over 80% feedback ratio to get the badge, it's been over 2 weeks for me and still no badge????

Thanks!

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life) (carolesrandomlife) | 47 comments There is a minimum number of books you need to have reviewed in order to get the 80% badge. I believe it the number is 20 but could be wrong.

message 3: by MarylineD (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments Thank you! I have 16 approved and 15 feedback sent, so 94%. That makes sense if you say the 80% badge only happens after 20 reviews.
I guess we'll see next month after reading and reviewing more. Thank you again

message 4: by Thamy (new)

Thamy | 61 comments Carole wrote: "There is a minimum number of books you need to have reviewed in order to get the 80% badge. I believe it the number is 20 but could be wrong."

I think you need to have 20 books and review 80% of them. Also it takes a couple of days for it to appear. I don't remember if those 20 need to be approved or if Read Now's count, I think that for that they do, but the site says "approved".

message 5: by Carole (new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life) (carolesrandomlife) | 47 comments I did some checking and it is a minimum of 20 reviews before you can get the 80% badge.

message 6: by MarylineD (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments Thank you very much Carole and Thamy for taking the time, I really appreciate it!
I was just wondering if there was something wrong as I had been over 80% for 2 weeks and now at 94 but now I know the badge won't happen before I read and reviewed 4 more.
Once I have the badge I guess it can go away if I do request too many books and get approved so my feedback ratio drops again?
Or do you keep the badge?
Anyway, I'll only request 2 at a time, let's not go crazy again like when I started on the site :)

Thank you both again!

message 7: by Thamy (new)

Thamy | 61 comments This I can answer, you lose the badge if you go below 80% but it comes back after you get your ratio back up (it took a couple of days when it happened to me). The more you read and review the less that will matter but that's a great way to keep us in check.

message 8: by MarylineD (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments Thamy wrote: "This I can answer, you lose the badge if you go below 80% but it comes back after you get your ratio back up (it took a couple of days when it happened to me). The more you read and review the less..."

Oh, good, so the badge still comes back quickly if I ever lose it! But yes I will be careful once I have it I will make sure to only request one or 2 books at a time in case they all get approved.

Thank you again!

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 177 comments MarylineD wrote: "Hey,
I LOVE reading! I
I have over 1200 books (paper books) and in Feb started reading ebooks and joined NetGalley. I requested 4 right away and 2 were approved! so then my feedback ratio was 0% as..."

Maryline, you must have submitted at least 20 reviews before you can qualify for the 80% badge.
If you've not been a NetGalley member long, you might be interested in my blog post which includes tips for new NetGalley members:
https://fictionophile.wordpress.com/2...

message 10: by MarylineD (last edited May 23, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments Fictionophile wrote: "MarylineD wrote: "Hey,
I LOVE reading! I
I have over 1200 books (paper books) and in Feb started reading ebooks and joined NetGalley. I requested 4 right away and 2 were approved! so then my feedba..."

Thank you! I saw your blog! Really well done!
If I may I'd like to point out that one reply you made is not accurate ;) You told someone (The Paperback Princess) that you get an email when a request is approved or denied but many times I didn't! It's when checking my "shelf" and "not active / declined requests"... that I sometimes find out.
I guess it depends on the publishers.

I know it's silly but I can't wait to finally get that 80% badge even though I already have 3 and I like the "top reviewer" one as I've been chosen 4 times!
I mean, I read a lot, review everything, I deserve it :)
But yes I've only been active on the site for a few months!
And I've had 6 requests pending for weeks, I think it's not nice, publishers should just say yes or no. It's all books I so want to read!!!

Again, thank you Fictionophile

message 11: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 177 comments MarylineD wrote: "Fictionophile wrote: "MarylineD wrote: "Hey,
I LOVE reading! I
I have over 1200 books (paper books) and in Feb started reading ebooks and joined NetGalley. I requested 4 right away and 2 were appro..."

How interesting Maryline. I've been a member of NetGalley since 2013 and to my knowledge I've always received an email when my request was approved. Huh. Curious.
So far I've been approved for 343 titles...

I hope you enjoy your NetGalley experience as much as I have. Also, have you tried Edelweiss as a source for ARCs?

https://www.edelweiss.plus/

message 12: by MarylineD (last edited May 23, 2018 12:40PM) (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments It's happened to me at least twice when I didn't get an email for 2 requests denied but yes I do get an email for all approved books! I found it weird and not nice to not receive an email everytime something is denied. Like I know Simon & Shuster always denie me. I know I say "always" like I've been on the site for ages or requested 1000 books.

I've only been a member since January this year and only really started using the site since February. I know I am new and do not pretend to know how it works, that's why I was asking about the badges. And I certainly meant no harm in mentionning that at least with me I don't get an email for all declined books and yes it hasn't happened a lot.
Also, I apoligize for anything that sounded mean, I didn't mean to offend you, English isn't my first language!

So far 18 approved, 17 feedback sent (so 94% feedback ratio), 6 pending, 5 declined. 3 badges. I just want to read all their books! I'm a real addict :)

I've never heard of Edelweiss, I should check it out, thank you.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 498 comments MarylineD wrote: "Fictionophile wrote: "MarylineD wrote: "Hey,
I LOVE reading! I
I have over 1200 books (paper books) and in Feb started reading ebooks and joined NetGalley. I requested 4 right away and 2 were appro..."

I also have been on NetGalley for 3 years and have 399 approved requests and I have always gotten an e mail when the request was approved, how strange. Are you sure that you didn't get a widget from a publisher in an e mail and then clicked on the widget? Because that will automatically add it to your shelf, learned that the hard way long ago :)

message 14: by MarylineD (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments I'm sorry, I didn't mean I didn't get an email when a request was approved, I mean when it was denied!
I'm sorry English isn't my language and I didn't explain myself well.
I've always received an email for all approved books but when it comes to denies I have 5 and only received an email for 3. I guess it depends on the publishers, some only send an automatic email when they approve but not when they deny.
I know it doesn't matter anyway, I always check my "pending" and "declined" requests but it's still nice to be notified by email even when they say NO

thank you for your time :)

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie (kbooklover) | 4 comments How do you get a Top Reviewer badge?

message 16: by MarylineD (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments Publishers must choose your comments 3 times to put on top of their page :)
I've been chosen 4 times

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 498 comments Katie wrote: "How do you get a Top Reviewer badge?"

I think you will have more luck with the smaller publishing houses for this badge. I've been on NetGalley for 3 years and got the Top Reviewer badge way at the beginning, I also don't think the publishers are using this feature much any more, just my opinion.

message 18: by MarylineD (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments Dorie wrote: "Katie wrote: "How do you get a Top Reviewer badge?"

I think you will have more luck with the smaller publishing houses for this badge. I've been on NetGalley for 3 years and got the Top Reviewer b..."

I think you're right as I'm new and got that badge within months. Also it was for books without tons of reviews.

message 19: by SundayAtDusk (last edited May 23, 2018 06:33PM) (new)

SundayAtDusk | 100 comments I've been denied books lots of times; sometimes I get a rejection letter and sometimes I don't. It makes no difference to me. What I don't like, though, is when a book stays on my "not active" shelf for months and months. After 30 days, I think a reviewer should have the right to retract a request, and remove the book from that shelf.

message 20: by MarylineD (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments SundayAtDusk wrote: "I've been denied books lots of times; sometimes I get a rejection letter and sometimes I don't. It makes no difference to me. What I don't like, though, is when a book stays on my "not active" shel..."

So it's normal, it's not just me. Thank you. I know it makes no difference when it's a rejection, I just like being informed by email because I don't check the website every day.

Yes, I hate it too when books stay on my "not active" shelf! And yes we should have the right to cancel a request!

Thank you again

message 21: by SundayAtDusk (new)

SundayAtDusk | 100 comments You're welcome, MarylineD. I think it's strange NetGalley sees nothing wrong with books staying on "not active" shelves for so long. I wonder, though, when and why they eventually decide to remove books from that shelf. Is it because their contract with the publisher or author has ended?

Talking about that, I requested a fiction book a week or so ago that I saw reviewer friends had read. It actually was released a year ago, has almost 2,000 reviews at Amazon, and over 16,000 reviews at Goodreads! Why would a successful book like that still be available for request at NetGalley?

message 22: by Thamy (new)

Thamy | 61 comments According to somewhere in NG, it takes... was it two weeks? for archived books to go from pending to declined. Some members have reported their books were pending for longer before moving to the declined tab but for me it's always happened that way. In any case, when that happens automatically like that, you don't receive any messages. Since the effect over our stats is the same, I'd prefer it if publishers cared enough to decline us... :(

message 23: by MarylineD (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments SundayAtDusk wrote: "You're welcome, MarylineD. I think it's strange NetGalley sees nothing wrong with books staying on "not active" shelves for so long. I wonder, though, when and why they eventually decide to remove ..."

No idea when they decide to remove their books. I've also noticed like you said at times successful books, already published, are available to request and I just don't get it. I thought it was only to offer readers a chance to discover new books before the publishing date and review it so for us it's free and we give them free publicity as well.

I don't know how they work. When a book has tons of reviews on their site and everywhere else why should they need or want more?

message 24: by MarylineD (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments Thamy wrote: "According to somewhere in NG, it takes... was it two weeks? for archived books to go from pending to declined. Some members have reported their books were pending for longer before moving to the de..."

I just checked my pending requests and for some I requested them over 5 weeks ago! It's sad if they end up in the declined section, you say it doesn't change a thing but yes it does. I once found a forum where they showed what publishers see on our profile and they see a ratio of approvals and declined requests. When they see readers with let's say 40% requests approved they're not interested and wonder why others just keep denying the requests.

And we all know how ratings easily change when you're new on the site without tons of requests and feedback sent...
After going wild at first I tried to understand the ratings and stopped requesting until I was starting to read the last approved book (or chosen from the "read now" section) so at least my feedback ratio would get higher. My goal is to be able to read and review every book I request and am approved for, not to have 1000 approvals and no time to read and review.

But we don't have a choice anyway, but it's sad we can't just cancel a request when it's been pending for so long, it's not fair it ends up "declined" then.

Like you, I just think it's fair or nice to get an email from publishers even when they deny a request. Also, it's automatic emails so not like they have a lot to do to send it ;)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 498 comments I just found out about a year ago that "read now" books don't count towards your ratio, perhaps you already know that? We all feel that we should be able to cancel a request if it's been sitting in limbo. I've had a few books that sat for FOUR MONTHS, which is ridiculous, that was quite a while ago though. Hope your next requests are approved quickly :)

I did know the info that you mention on what the publishers can see. My best solution has been to request only the books I really want to read and keep my ratio very high, it's been at 97% for a long time, then I almost always get what I want :)

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 498 comments SundayAtDusk wrote: "You're welcome, MarylineD. I think it's strange NetGalley sees nothing wrong with books staying on "not active" shelves for so long. I wonder, though, when and why they eventually decide to remove ..."

Your query about their contract with the publisher may have something to do with it, good point. As far as why they sometimes still have books on when they have lots of reviews, I think sometimes if the book is coming out in paperback they may want to give it another push, that's just my thought :)

message 27: by SundayAtDusk (last edited May 24, 2018 09:08PM) (new)

SundayAtDusk | 100 comments Dorie: "As far as why they sometimes still have books on when they have lots of reviews, I think sometimes if the book is coming out in paperback they may want to give it another push, that's just my thought :)"

Good guess. I never thought about the paperback angle of it all.

Also, I noticed books that were on my "not active" list forever sometimes had a "read excerpt" flag eventually attached to them. That makes me wonder if the publishers are hoping you will just go ahead and buy the book, since you were not getting the NetGalley copy you requested. Seeing it on your "not active" shelf reminds you again and again that you once wanted to read it.

message 28: by Thamy (new)

Thamy | 61 comments SundayAtDusk wrote: "Dorie: "As far as why they sometimes still have books on when they have lots of reviews, I think sometimes if the book is coming out in paperback they may want to give it another push, that's just ..."

Yes! There were books I only REALLY wanted to read them because I never got them from NG. I did buy some, so I can say that works.

message 29: by SundayAtDusk (new)

SundayAtDusk | 100 comments Aha! Now we know why books are allowed to stay on our "not active" shelves for so long. :) Maybe publishers have to pay NetGalley extra to not remove them from our shelves.

message 30: by MarylineD (last edited May 25, 2018 08:24AM) (new)

MarylineD | 25 comments Hi everyone :)

No I didn't know "read now" didn't count in the ratio. Everytime I chose one I have one more approved and when I review it more % feedback sent. Maybe it doesn't count for the approved and denied ratio publishers see though.

I don't know, the entire site drives me nuts ;)

So, I had decided to be "smart" and tried to keep my feedback sent good as I have 2 more to read and review I'm at around 91%. I had decided it was best to avoid going crazy like when I first joined and request many books then my ratio drops and it takes some time to read them all!
BUT last night I saw 2 books I wanted to request and as I've been told some publishers only allow a few (quota) if you wait too long that might be a reason they deny. I get up this morning and see they were both denied :( Silly me for chosing 2 from the same publishers! But in the email they did say they deny people with bad ratio (which isn't my case) and when they've had too many requests already!

But later during the day (it's almost evening here) I got a "congratulations" email from NetGalley telling me a publisher did auto-approve me! YAY me!
1 auto-approval :)
So, again trying to be smart in the future and not lose that priviledge, I will download one of their books as soon as I'm done with my current one and read it after I'm done with the next one I already have on my shelf, so they see I download a file soon and will read and review it within 2 weeks.

Dorie : Well, all the books I request are books I really really really want :) That's the issue! And when you're new your ratio goes up and down quickly, once you have 200 or 300 approved it changes less quickly. I was at 0% after being approved 2 when I joined! I try to stay above 85 and only request 2 and wait for an answer.

And still 5 pending, some for weeks, yes that's annoying! We should be allowed to cancel!

I never thought about the paperback angle either, yes that might be it!

SundayAtDusk : good point ;)

message 31: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (wheninapril) | 36 comments Hi everyone!! I have got a question!! My Feedback Ratio is 82%
Total 22 Approved & 18 Feedback Sent. But Still the 80% Ratio badge is not showing up! How many books you have to be approved of for it to show up??

message 32: by Em__Jay (new)

Em__Jay | 27 comments Tale of a Bookworm wrote: "Hi everyone!! I have got a question!! My Feedback Ratio is 82%
Total 22 Approved & 18 Feedback Sent. But Still the 80% Ratio badge is not showing up! How many books you have to be approved of for i..."

If you read further up, several posts state you need a minimum of 20 reviews to be eligible.

message 33: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (wheninapril) | 36 comments Em__Jay wrote: "Tale of a Bookworm wrote: "Hi everyone!! I have got a question!! My Feedback Ratio is 82%
Total 22 Approved & 18 Feedback Sent. But Still the 80% Ratio badge is not showing up! How many books you h..."

Hi!! Em__Jay! I saw, but I thought 20 is the number of approved books, thank you btw for clearing the confusion :)

message 34: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 177 comments Tale of a Bookworm wrote: "Hi everyone!! I have got a question!! My Feedback Ratio is 82%
Total 22 Approved & 18 Feedback Sent. But Still the 80% Ratio badge is not showing up! How many books you have to be approved of for i..."

NetGalley prefers a feedback ratio of 80% AND… once you do attain it you have to maintain it. You lose your lovely 80% badge the minute you drop below the coveted 80%. I’ve had it twice but I have some reading to do in order to get it back again…

***Note for new NetGalley members: You must have submitted at least 20 reviews before you can qualify for the 80% badge.

check out my blog post with Tips for NEW NetGalley users:
https://fictionophile.wordpress.com/2...

message 35: by Carole (new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life) (carolesrandomlife) | 47 comments They are having trouble with the 80% badge right now anyway. The badge hasn't showed up for me and my current stats are as follows:

Feedback Ratio: 81%
494 Approved | 398 Feedback Sent

I did email support a couple of weeks ago and was basically told that they are working on it. I wouldn't get in a big hurry to see the 80% badge since there is no way to tell when it might actually show up.

message 36: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (wheninapril) | 36 comments Fictionophile wrote: "Tale of a Bookworm wrote: "Hi everyone!! I have got a question!! My Feedback Ratio is 82%
Total 22 Approved & 18 Feedback Sent. But Still the 80% Ratio badge is not showing up! How many books you h..."

Thank you for the details!!! <3

message 37: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (wheninapril) | 36 comments Carole wrote: "They are having trouble with the 80% badge right now anyway. The badge hasn't showed up for me and my current stats are as follows:

I did emai..."
Ohh... really?!!!

message 38: by Faith (new)

Faith | 2 comments I was submitting a request to check the status of my 80% badge (I know it's been an issue, just thought I'd add my voice to convince them that we're interested in a fix). As I was submitting my request, it suggested some places that might have the answer to my question.

One of the options was actually meant for a publisher and showed a sample reviewer profile. I found it interesting and thought I'd link it here.

We certainly know they see our stats of percentage reviewed, but this confirmed that they also see an overall percentage of our approvals/disapprovals for titles across the site: https://netgalley.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...-

I only joined in May and most of my rejections are from those early weeks when I was click-happy but didn't have a solid review base yet. Just further confirmation that I should be a little discerning in my requests so my approval ratio doesn't go down (I am already pretty picky, but this convinces me that's the right route for me).

message 39: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 77 comments Faith wrote: "I was submitting a request to check the status of my 80% badge (I know it's been an issue, just thought I'd add my voice to convince them that we're interested in a fix). As I was submitting my req..."

Thanks for the link Faith.

message 40: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 177 comments Carole wrote: "They are having trouble with the 80% badge right now anyway. The badge hasn't showed up for me and my current stats are as follows:

I did emai..."

I think they are still having trouble giving out 80% badges. I've had 80% feedback ratio for three weeks now and it hasn't shown up. My stats = 364 titles approved / 292 feedback sent

message 41: by Kat (new)

Kat | 13 comments I have had over 90% ratio for quite some time (months) and still no badge
my stats are Feedback Ratio: 94%
105 Approved | 99 Feedback Sent

message 42: by MissBecka (new)

MissBecka Gee (missbeckagee) | 43 comments Me too Kat, I emailed them last week and they said they are still having trouble with that badge being added to accounts :(

message 43: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 177 comments Kat wrote: "I have had over 90% ratio for quite some time (months) and still no badge
my stats are Feedback Ratio: 94%
105 Approved | 99 Feedback Sent"

Awwww that is not encouraging.. 😞

message 44: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 177 comments I worked for TWO YEARS to get my 80% badge. FINALLY qualified in late December but still NO BADGE!
I contacted them a few weeks ago, they said they were having an issue with this badge...
Why has this not been resolved?????
I'm VERY discouraged.

message 45: by Kat (new)

Kat | 13 comments I am also still waiting and I tried so hard to get this badge just like you Fictionphile

message 46: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 177 comments Kat wrote: "I am also still waiting and I tried so hard to get this badge just like you Fictionphile"

Thanks Kat. It is somewhat comforting to know I'm not alone. ♥

message 47: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 77 comments Fictionophile wrote: "Kat wrote: "I am also still waiting and I tried so hard to get this badge just like you Fictionphile"

Thanks Kat. It is somewhat comforting to know I'm not alone. ♥"

I'll chime in and say I want mine again but I know it won't do any good.

message 48: by Erin (new)

Erin | 6 comments I got my 80% badge today!

Looks like they fixed the issue.

And now I copied to my goodreads, and the 10 and 25 books badges have decided to stop working :(

message 49: by Kat (new)

Kat | 13 comments At last I got my 80% badge after months of being over 90% .....so happy now

message 50: by Fictionophile (new)

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 177 comments Kat wrote: "At last I got my 80% badge after months of being over 90% .....so happy now"

It feels great Kat. I just got mine after almost four months of waiting.

« previous 1