What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Great Kettles: A Tale of Time
This topic is about The Great Kettles
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Boy moves into house of absent inventor and goes on quest to find him. [s]

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosa (last edited Jun 14, 2018 09:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments This was a big, longish, rather challenging picture book. I read it around 2003-2006, in the home of a family friend, but I didn't have time to finish it.
A boy moves with his family into what used to be the home of an eccentric inventor, who doesn't live there anymore. He was building some kind of device to transport himself into the future, or the past, or some other dimension--I don't remember. The boy finds a picture of the inventor wearing the device on his head--it's complicated, with tubes and things sticking out. He looks like a totally cool mad scientist.
The boy decides to build his own machine (maybe out of Tinker Toys, but I might be thinking of Calvin and Hobbes) to follow the inventor wherever he went and find him. His mother asks him what he's doing, and he tells her. She tells him to invite the inventor to dinner if he finds him.
The boy's invention works. After a journey, he finds the old inventor, who greets the boy cordially, I think. The boy tells him that he lives in his old house and that he's invited to dinner. That's as far as I read.
I think the cover had an inset picture of the inventor wearing his invention.
Sorry this was so long. I hope I'm not scaring people off with my longer queries.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6965 comments Mod
Rosa--some descriptions run a lot longer than yours, so don't worry about it. Plus we encourage people to list everything that they can remember, since you never know what will help get your book found.

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Thanks, Ann.

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments Old Ridley's cover looked like possibility: Old Ridley by Gary Crew , but the story doesn't seem to match.

message 5: by Rosa (last edited Oct 08, 2018 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Thanks very much for looking, Ayshe, but I don't think that's it. I think the man on the cover of my book looked less like a wizard and more like a modern, shaven scientist—but wearing a device on his head much like Old Ridley's. But this book looks interesting, so I'll check it out.

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Thud.

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Bump.

message 8: by Rosa (last edited Aug 20, 2019 12:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Bump. There doesn't seem to be a copy of Old Ridley in any library in the U.S., which is unfortunate because I really want to read it.

message 10: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 11: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments It’s possible that the word “inventor” wasn’t used in connection with the previous resident. I don’t know what he was.

message 12: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments You said it was longer than a normal picture book, about how many pages?

message 14: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments I don’t know, maybe 80-100.

message 15: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Nudge. I've almost given up on finding this book, because I don't remember much and what I do remember might be wrong. But I'll keep bumping.

message 16: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Don't give up! We'll keep looking. I tried searching Worldcat for "inventors" and "inventions," but nothing seems to match. Was the man described as an inventor? Could he have been a scientist of some type?

message 17: by Rosa (last edited Mar 07, 2019 06:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Like I said in message 11, it's possible he wasn't described as an inventor. Possibly he was a scientist, or just an eccentric.

message 18: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 19: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Tried searching for "scientists" and "professors," too.

I did find a book called Hamish and the Professor, which appears to be about time travel, but little information is available online.

message 20: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Thanks so much for looking, Rainbowheart, but I found an illustration from that book and it’s definitely not the one.

message 21: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 22: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 23: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 24: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Bump. Maybe the boy found the invention itself, not a picture of it. I really can't remember. But I know the inventor wore it on his head at some point.

message 25: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments The Great Kettles: A Tale of Time maybe? According to the Kirkus review: Now living in an inventor's long-vacant house, Joey constructs a time machine from notes and gadgets left in the attic, and hurtles off across the Sea of Time...

message 26: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (romeowyn) | 2 comments If you're on Facebook, the groupe What was the thing ? Has several thousands of people and is very, very efficient at finding things.

message 27: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments Sophie wrote: "If you're on Facebook, the groupe What was the thing ? Has several thousands of people and is very, very efficient at finding things."

And here I was feeling elated that I have (somewhat) good suggestion...

message 28: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments *Gasp*
Ayshe, that's a great find! I'm not sure it's the one, but I'll check as soon as I can!

message 29: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments IT’S THE ONE! Thank you, Ayshe, thank you! The illustrations are even more amazing than I remembered, and the story makes more sense than it did when I was six. The illustration of the inventor’s helmet is fantastic. I wish I could scan and upload it here.
I’m so happy that you solved this mystery for me. Thank you again.

message 30: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Awesome news! So glad this one is solved.

Well done, Ayshe!

message 31: by Rosa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Thank you for never giving up, Rainbowheart! You kept my hopes alive.
How did you find it, Ayshe?

message 32: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments I'm happy to hear it. You're welcome! I found it googling site:goodreads.com "picture books" "moved" "house" inventor

Thank you, Rainbowheart!