Play Book Tag discussion

Beowulf
This topic is about Beowulf
Archive: Other Books > Beowulf - Unknown - 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments An epic poem from the 8th century.

A monster, Grendel, continues to attacks a hall used for celebrations. Beowulf learns of this. He surprise attacks Grendel, and when his weapons fail to kill Grendel, he pulls Grendels arm off bare handed. Then Grendels mother attacks. Beowulf follows her to her underwater cave and kills her. There he also finds Grendels dead body.

Then Beowulf is made king. When a Dragon attacks, he tells his men to stay back, and he will defeat the dragon alone. (view spoiler)

Very dull in my opinion.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments We read this as required reading in middle school, and I remember it being a snoozefest. I've never gone back to read it as an adult, and this doesn't make me want to lol.

Booknblues | 6886 comments I love Beowulf. Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea.

Cynda  (cynda) When we still have LPs, I had an opportunity to listen to Beowulf read in Old English. It sounded so warrior-like, as it should. Oral story told for and by warriors, finally recorded by someone who may have been a warrior. The poetic terms. . . .
I think I will have re-read. I hope there is a copy of Beowulf being read on YouTube or Hoopla So that I can hear he cadences as I read.
Also I have on my bookcase here a copy of Grendel by John Gardner. I am getting excited.

Booknblues | 6886 comments Cynda wrote: "When we still have LPs, I had an opportunity to listen to Beowulf read in Old English. It sounded so warrior-like, as it should. Oral story told for and by warriors, finally recorded by someone who..."
I read Beowulf and Grendel quite close together and really got a kick out of them both. I just like that sort of thing.

message 6: by Cynda (last edited May 23, 2018 05:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cynda  (cynda) Oh good! I found on YouTube what I imagine to be a heroic strong virile man reading a modern version of Beowulf with great cadence, richness of voice. All he is a voice and screen shows a crackling fire in a room that might have been where men gathered to hear the story of Beowulf.

Oh la la

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Enjoy. I recommend Song of Roland if you've never read it.

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments It’s a long time since I read this one!

message 9: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I remember very distinctly reading this in 8th grade. I remember because I made a totally A worthy diorama out of a shoe box and construction paper (ah, the good ole days).

But I am 100% sure that I did not read this in verse. It seems like I read some kind of prose retelling aimed at middle to high school aged kids. I remember liking it!

The point: read the kid version for sure! lol

message 10: by Idit (new) - rated it 4 stars

Idit | 1028 comments I’m enjoying seeing all the opinions about it.
The idea of reading something in old English sounds scary. Is it very difficult?

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments You can't read it in old English. It's like a different language so you will need a translation. But many translation keep the verse.

message 12: by Idit (new) - rated it 4 stars

Idit | 1028 comments I see. How did you chose the version you chose?

Cynda  (cynda) Idit wrote: "I’m enjoying seeing all the opinions about it.
The idea of reading something in old English sounds scary. Is it very difficult?"

I heard it old English. I have seen segments of the Old English. It is another language.
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem...

Booknblues | 6886 comments Idit wrote: "I’m enjoying seeing all the opinions about it.
The idea of reading something in old English sounds scary. Is it very difficult?"

I read this versionBeowulf as it attracted my attention when it came out. Like Nicole R., I remembered reading a shortened version for kids when I was in middle school and I loved it then. When this version came out there were some rave reviews, so I thought I would like to read it as an adult.

message 15: by Cora (new) - added it

Cora (corareading) | 1456 comments We read this in high school paired with Grendel.