75 Books...More or Less! discussion

The Outsider
This topic is about The Outsider
Book Buddies > The Outsider by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7998 comments Mod
Juli and I will be reading The Outsider, his newest novel that just came out on Tuesday! I will be listening to the audio and Juli will be reading the book. We're starting this on Saturday!

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 213 comments I'm joining! I read 20% last evening, but I have 2 ARCs I need to push through between now and Friday. Glad you're starting Saturday.

message 3: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

May Is Fungi From Yuggoth wrote: "I'm joining! I read 20% last evening, but I have 2 ARCs I need to push through between now and Friday. Glad you're starting Saturday."

Woohoo!

message 4: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
Hi everyone. I'm super stoked to buddy read this book!!! It's very hard to not open it already and take a peak ;) I'm trying to occupy myself with some ARCs until Saturday. I will probably also tweet about my reading @evilbibliotph if you want to follow. I'm not very social media savvy but I'm trying to get better at it.

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1607 comments I have it on hold at the library... so I'll come back and see what everyone thought in a few months when it finally gets to me. lol

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 213 comments Charleen, I well remember those decades. The mere breath of an upcoming Stephen King and I'd race to the Library: " put me on the reserve list! Hurry!":)

message 7: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Donovan | 1 comments Yay! I got this the day it came out (happy birthday to me!) and I am so excited to read it along with you all! :)

message 8: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I started it this morning because I finished my audiobook and didn't feel like continuing A Brief History of Seven Killings. I have to be able to read along with the e-book for that one. I'll get about 2 hours listened today on my commute. It's already gripping!!!!

message 9: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle wrote: "Yay! I got this the day it came out (happy birthday to me!) and I am so excited to read it along with you all! :)"

Yay more buddies! :)

message 10: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh my. The crime is HORRIFIC. And the pathology report made me nauseous. This book is NOT for the faint of heart or for anyone who doesn't like books where kids are hurt. :(

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 213 comments Elyse wrote: "The crime is HORRIFIC. And the pathology report made me nauseous. This book is NOT for the faint of heart or for anyone who doesn't like books where kids are hurt. :( "

I think that's probably true of a lot by SK: IT, UNDER THE DOME, CELL. I despised and abhorred the perpetrator from the moment the crime was revealed to the reader; but I also very much dislike the smug and I expect, very self-centered-even Narcissistic- Terry Maitland. Guilty or no. All this is from the 20% I read on Tuesday, release date. I'll take it up again today. I already see a resonance with The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3) by Katee Robert , which I read Thursday and yesterday: in both novels, crime, suspect may or may not be culprit, truth seems impossible....

message 12: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

May Is Fungi From Yuggoth wrote: "Elyse wrote: "The crime is HORRIFIC. And the pathology report made me nauseous. This book is NOT for the faint of heart or for anyone who doesn't like books where kids are hurt. :( "

I think that'..."

Good point. Terry Maitland, yeah I'm not a fan of him so far. I started up the audio again today. I'll be listening for awhile because I need to catalog the 50+ books I just bought at a local library book sale this morning! :D

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 213 comments 50! So envious! You're a treasure to the library.

message 14: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
I am only 38 pages in, just started, but have a suspicion of who it was. Should I keep that to myself or should we talk about it?

message 15: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli wrote: "I am only 38 pages in, just started, but have a suspicion of who it was. Should I keep that to myself or should we talk about it?"

Um I'm like 7 hours in and I have no idea. There's a LOT that goes on between where you are and where I am! lol.

message 16: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

If you want to share your guess, just pop the (view spoiler) tag on.

message 17: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
I figure my suspicion will change over time. I'm not going to share it since the stupid app doesn't have the spoiler tag.

How are you liking the book so far, Elyse?

message 18: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just watched King's interview on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and he kind of gave it away. Hmm...

I'm liking it even though it's pretty gruesome. I'm done listening for the night, I'm about page 200 estimated.

message 19: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
Oh that's too bad that he gave it away.

To me the idea of what if he gets convicted if he didn't do it or what if he walks free though he did it is what is the essence of the book and so it almost doesn't matter of I knew the ending beforehand. I really love though how there is more and more conflicting evidence. I'm around page 170 I think.

message 20: by Stacie (new) - added it

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments I just started this afternoon. This was not in my plans for the Readathon, but- hey! Stephen King! I've got a text version because no way am I listening to a King story cold (Elyse, you're a braver soul than I am!)

message 21: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
I'm a little over halfway done and I'm reluctantly calling it a night. Unfortunately, I'm too tired. I wish I could just finish this book in one sitting. It's that good.

message 22: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacie wrote: "I just started this afternoon. This was not in my plans for the Readathon, but- hey! Stephen King! I've got a text version because no way am I listening to a King story cold (Elyse, you're a braver..."

Welcome to the read, Stacie! lol I listened to Sleeping Beauties cold too! And Christine and Hearts in Atlantis. Christine had me a little on edge and I don't think I'll be listening to anymore of his horror. It can catch you too much off-guard. lol

message 23: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli wrote: "I'm a little over halfway done and I'm reluctantly calling it a night. Unfortunately, I'm too tired. I wish I could just finish this book in one sitting. It's that good."

Wow you really pounded it out! But it is that way, it's captivating and hard to stop! But do you see what I mean about how much things change?

message 24: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
Elyse, yes it changed quite a bit and I actually loved that. I didn't have any time to today. Ended up having car trouble and had to deal with that instead. I hope I can finish the book tomorrow.

message 25: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm at about page 300 and definitely going to finish today! I gotta know what's going on!!

message 26: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
Elyse, were you able to finish? I'm about 100 pages from the end. I might have to stay up for that :)

message 27: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
OMG I finished the book! This was some of King's best writing! Only issue I have is that the ending felt a bit rushed.

message 28: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli wrote: "Elyse, were you able to finish? I'm about 100 pages from the end. I might have to stay up for that :)"

I did not finish last night and now after my commute to work this morning, I have 2 hours left!! I will be finishing this afternoon! I did not want to stop listening this morning. Argh!

message 29: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2018 05:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli wrote: "OMG I finished the book! This was some of King's best writing! Only issue I have is that the ending felt a bit rushed."

Spoilers ahead! (view spoiler)

message 30: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juli | 1868 comments Mod
Elyse, I'm sorry it spoiled Bill Hodges trilogy for you. I am lucky and had read that one already.

For everyone: if you're planning on reading the Bill Hodges trilogy, don't read The Outsider, yet. The trilogy and some events are mentioned in the book.

message 31: by Stacie (new) - added it

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Bummer! I haven’t read the last two of the Hodges trilogy- and just as the Outsider is getting compelling, too :(. So, is the spoiler a ‘gives away crucial plot twist’ kind of thing or more of a ‘mentions basic people or events’ kind of thing?

message 32: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacie wrote: "Bummer! I haven’t read the last two of the Hodges trilogy- and just as the Outsider is getting compelling, too :(. So, is the spoiler a ‘gives away crucial plot twist’ kind of thing or more of a ‘m..."

Umm it spoils what happens to a major character. It's a huge spoiler, in my opinion. I haven't read the trilogy.

message 33: by Stacie (new) - added it

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Elyse wrote: "Umm it spoils what happens to a major character. It's a huge spoiler, in my opinion."

Boo-hiss! :( Since I do want to finish the trilogy, I guess I'll put this on hold for now. Looks like a trip to the library might be in order :D

message 34: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacie wrote: "Boo-hiss! :( Since I do want to finish the trilogy, I guess I'll put this on hold for now. Looks like a trip to the library might be in order :D..."

At least you can stay in a King frame of mind! lol

message 35: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Also, I really wanted at the end that (view spoiler)