Play Book Tag discussion

Bob
This topic is about Bob
Archive: Other Books > Bob - Wendy Mass, 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivia S | 6 comments I don't read a lot of junior fiction, so my review may be swayed by that. I liked this book. The idea was heartbreaking, but the book itself wasn't too sad. A spin on a little-known folktale, the story follows 10-year-old Livy, who is visiting her grandmother in Australia for the first time in 5 years, and Bob, the creature (zombie?) that she left behind last time she visited, and has since totally forgotten. Bob didn't forget Livy, however, and has been eagerly awaiting her eventual return. Livy is determined to help Bob remember where he came from, so that he'll never have to be left alone again. But what is he? And why does she forget about him any time she leaves the house? A cute story, told in alternating perspectives. The forgetting parts are done really well, and the mystery of Bob is pretty compelling. Simple, because it's junior, but the characters were good, and it didn't feel too cutesy or anything. A solid read.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7877 comments I also don't read a lot of books aimed at this age group, but this one sounds kind of cute! I may add it to the list of books to get as gifts for my friends' kids.

Good to know it wasn't too sad. My best friend's girl loves to read but she gets very sad over books and movies so I try to avoid anything that will bring her down. She is such an empathetic little girl!

Olivia S | 6 comments Nicole R wrote: "I also don't read a lot of books aimed at this age group, but this one sounds kind of cute! I may add it to the list of books to get as gifts for my friends' kids.

Good to know it wasn't too sad. ..."

Definitely. This one starts out with a sort of sad concept, but doesn't linger on it too long and ends happily!

message 4: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5211 comments Sounds interesting! I read a lot of junior fiction, I will have to look for this!

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Oh! Tx for letting me know that one of my (many) favorite authors has a new (new-to-me) book! And thanks for detailing how you experienced a less-familiar kind of read, what your experience reading it was like.