SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Members' Chat > Beach Reads and Guilty Pleasures

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
What's in your bag when you go to the beach or on a hike or whatever it is that says "relaxing summer days?" What books do you know analytically aren't your usual, but enjoy anyways?

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 156 comments This is almost certainly not remotely what you had in mind, but when I go on holiday I like to read books that are set in the place where I’m staying. Eg, when I went to Malta I read The Sword and the Scimitar and The Kappillan of Malta. I like getting a sense of the local history and culture.

message 3: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Oh that's fun!

message 4: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 444 comments As ebook user, I carry my whole library anywhere I want and usually read whatever is my current read. As long as it's not freezing but I guess reading paper book with gloves would not be comfortable either.
By the might of innovation!

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments There's a part of me that wants to embrace the notion that there should be no such thing as a guilty pleasure, because, as long as no one is getting hurt, no one should feel guilt over what gives them pleasure.

That said, there are books I'm more embarrassed about than others - specifically the few trashy romance novels I read.

The first one which always springs to mind is The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker and The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker. It's a gothic romance and it's so terrible - overblown melodrama the whole, "But I love him, but I can't, but I must" thing and whatever else is there, and I love it.

message 6: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

I agree, Colleen! I don't like to think of guilty pleasures as shame. They're more like cupcakes I eat on "cheat" days. Or like that one meal you still love from childhood that you would never ever think to make for other people because it's just not really a thing, but whatever it's great.

That said, the phrase does quickly convey what I'm trying to say, and I can't fix English all by myself. It'll do until slang catches up, I guess. I like the sound of your last book there! It's a good title, anyways.

Tomas, I wish I could do that! My ereader is all glare in the light, and also I don't really want it to meet sand...

I was big on the Stephanie Plum books for my beach reads. I don't usually read non-fantasy contemporary fiction, so this is outside of my norm (One for the Money) but they're really ridiculous, and since I live not too far from where they're set, I can picture it all.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments I don't really have guilty pleasures, either. It's ALLLL pleasure, lol.

In truth, I admit that GR has helped to give me a bit of a complex with regards to Romance. The people here, outside of those who READ Romance, are mostly so disdainful and judgemental. If a genre is going to be put down on GR, it's gonna be Romance. From the tropes to the covers to the plots...

So, even though I'm in a ton of Fantasy groups and I read SFF all the time, Romance would be considered my guilty pleasure, I guess. Though I still read it all the time and I love it.

message 8: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 444 comments Allison wrote: "Tomas, I wish I could do that! My ereader is all glare in the light, and also I don't really want it to meet sand..."

I should've mentioned that I live far enough from a beach, I'm reading in bus/train when going for a hike in the hills. Much safer :)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "In truth, I admit that GR has helped to give me a bit of a complex with regards to Romance. The people here, outside of those who READ Romance, are mostly so disdainful and judgemental. If a genre is going to be put down on GR, it's gonna be Romance. From the tropes to the covers to the plots...
"

As a reader of YA romances, I feel your pain.

message 10: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments When I read on vacation I tend to read a lot of more involved books. Most of the time I have so much going on that I don't really have the time and/or brain-power to dedicate to super involved historical fiction or really thought provoking sci-fi. So on vacation I finally get the time I need to relax and really delve into harder books.

message 11: by Pinar (new)

Pinar | 6 comments lately I read Helen Harper 's Blood Destiny (Bloodfire, ..) series. First book, I claimed to myself it's for "research" only, but after 3rd one in a row I must confess I like also some cliche..

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2610 comments Allison I’m so with you on Stephanie Plum. Gramma Mazur and her recreational funerals crack me up every time.

Evanovich has another series that’s pretty good: Lizzie and Diesel (Wicked Appetite, Wicked Charms, etc.). 3 years later I think I’m still waiting on the next book in that series.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "In truth, I admit that GR has helped to give me a bit of a complex with regards to Romance. The people here, outside of those who READ Romance, are mostly so disdainful and judgem..."

Yes.

message 14: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Sarah wrote: "Allison I’m so with you on Stephanie Plum. Gramma Mazur and her recreational funerals crack me up every time.

Evanovich has another series that’s pretty good: Lizzie and Diesel (Wicked Appetite, W..."

Oh nice! Next beach day maybe I'll look it up!

Tomas wrote: "Allison wrote: "Tomas, I wish I could do that! My ereader is all glare in the light, and also I don't really want it to meet sand..."

I should've mentioned that I live far enough from a beach, I'm..."

Ha! Yes, that does sound safer for ereaders :)

message 15: by Tomas (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 444 comments Well, back in November I encountered a blog post that made fun of romance clichés for NaNoWriMo (or what the abbreviation is). Including covers. It was something like, to have the typical romance cover, take a topless muscular guy with visible abs and put him in the embrace of (optionally likewise topless) woman. Done.

Self-publishing, which I consider a blessing for SF and Fantasy, blurred the line between romance and erotica. By what I was reading, it's one of the most active self-published genre with massive competition and probably just as massive pile of dreck because of people that write low-quality romance like a guinea pig on a treadmill.

message 16: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited May 23, 2018 11:59AM) (new)

I think there are likely lots of reasons that people disparage romance, and I'm not sure any of them are particularly good. You point out one of the least offensive, maybe, but inundation is true of all genres. Indie pub can be wonderful, or it can be a hot mess, regardless of genre!

I read a study though that said people who read romance consistently have uh...statistically more quiet time with their partner(s) though, which definitely sounds like it'd lend itself well to vacation! ;-)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments Tomas wrote: "Self-publishing, which I consider a blessing for SF and Fantasy, blurred the line between romance and erotica. By what I was reading, it's one of the most active self-published genre with massive competition and probably just as massive pile of dreck because of people that write low-quality romance like a guinea pig on a treadmill."

Well, all BS aside, Romance is the single best selling genre. Last I heard, it's beaten out by only the Bible. It used to be beaten by Christian Fiction but CF has a lot of Romance, too (spiritual romances). I've read quite a few.

Yes, there is a lot of dreck. But...99.99% of all books SPA'd now IS dreck. Just like with every genre, you have the good and the bad.

But - even though Romance is just like every other genre, the disdain is out of control. It's constant and overbearing and frustrating and insulting.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments Allison wrote: "I think there are likely lots of reasons that people disparage romance, and I'm not sure any of them are particularly good. You point out one of the least offensive, maybe, but inundation is true o..."

Yes. ^.^

I have a very loving marriage. ;-)

My husband loves the fact that I love romance. Romance hits that sweet spot every time (if you find a good one, of course. Like every book) and it puts you in a good mood. Hubby is all - why don't you put down that book where the robot is murdering people and pick up a book with some sexy times?? ;-)

message 19: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
MrsJoseph wrote: "Hubby is all - why don't you put down that book where the robot is murdering people and pick up a book with some sexy times?"

But but, wouldn't the perfect book have the murdering robot having sexy times?!

message 20: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Anna wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "Hubby is all - why don't you put down that book where the robot is murdering people and pick up a book with some sexy times?"

But but, wouldn't the perfect book have the murderin..."

I think you've just described at least half the plot of Futurama. XD

message 21: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments the only problem i have with Romance books is that they've flooded the Sci-Fi/Fantasy listings such that it's getting difficult to find a book that doesn't have werewolf sex, vampire sex, elf sex, TRex sex (yes these exist), etc in them. And that don't have the story being just a plot device to place yet another sex scene.

Egads, I'm sounding like one of those people who want cozy mysteries.....

message 22: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

lol. I think we can have lots of debates about the different subgenres of romance, but not here please! We have a whole thread for that.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments Anna wrote: "But but, wouldn't the perfect book have the murdering robot having sexy times?!

lolol

Some times.

Most of the time, the perfect sexy times book would have a couple on the run from the murdering robot. Sexy times would happen. Plus the threat of death will make the hero pull his head out of his ass and declare his undying love - before and after sexy times.

And the robot wouldn't really murder because murder (and blood) is hell on sexy times.

message 24: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Hmm, I think my perfect guilty pleasure read would be Romancing the Murderbot.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments CBRetriever wrote: "the only problem i have with Romance books is that they've flooded the Sci-Fi/Fantasy listings such that it's getting difficult to find a book that doesn't have werewolf sex, vampire sex, elf sex, ..."

And that's because Goodreads. Don't blame Romance for that.

What did they expect would happen with they fucking CROWD SOURCE genres?????!!!!! People flipping shelve Star Wars as Science: Non fiction...but I'm supposed to trust their brains and allow them to categorize my stuff? NO.

I never pay much attention to those genre things because they are WRONG. If the book is primary Romance then it should be shelved as Romance. Sadly, when crowdsourcing, you have people shelving things like The Iron Duke as Sci-Fi/Steampunk. Yes, it HAS sci-fi/steampunk but it IS a Romance.

message 26: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments Allison wrote: "lol. I think we can have lots of debates about the different subgenres of romance, but not here please! We have a whole thread for that.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

I know, but i couldn't resist after the negative romance comments. Heck I read Georgette Heyer which would be considered a cozy romance nowadays

message 27: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

It's cool. I'm just trying to head it off at the pass. :)

message 28: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments Haha MrsJ...Star Wars Science Non Fiction makes me think of Galaxy Quest lol

In the Department store thingy I buy most of my books from the “adult” books are New Release Fiction, General Fiction, Better Reading 100 books you must read, and Romance. It’s the only genre that gets its own section. And there is a heap of it. It’s bigger than the YA section.

I don’t know about people who read Romance having more sexy time than those who don’t. A lot of people read it because they want that in their own lives but don’t get it. Daisy in Keeping Up Appearances springs to mind. She’s always reading bodice rippers because she can’t get Hubby to “perform”. I used to read it because my Mum had them and I used to raid her books. She used to read a lot of historical romances. I was more murder mysteries and SFF. Still am even though I do have a couple of historical romance books on my shelves at the moment. I have a little bit of everything on my bookshelves.

I really don’t have a guilty pleasure in books.

Summer reading for me is usually done inside under a fan or air con and consists of anything I have with me at the time. Same as my normal reading. I don’t read outside because of bugs and the lack of decent chairs. Even when I’m away I have a big bag of books that usually gets added to every time I go anywhere near a bookshop. I have a book buying problem. I have a fully loaded iPad as well. It helps that when I go away it’s usually to one of my own houses so it doesn’t matter how much shit is in the car.

message 29: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments I used to love reading Georgette Heyer. I have a heap of them in boxes at my parents place from a few moves ago.

And Jean Plaidy who was actually Eleanor Hibbert and wrote under a lot of names. In fact she was Jean Plaidy, Victoria Holt, and Philippa Carr. And also was known as Eleanor Burford, Elbur Ford, and Ellalice Tate apparently. Talk about split personalities.

Yep cosy mysteries and cosy romances. Nice and soothing to the brain.

message 30: by HeyT (new)

HeyT | 445 comments I can't lie during the summer I read a lot of historical and contemporary romance because they are quick to read and gain me a heap of entries into the summer reading program raffle at my local library.

message 31: by Shanna (new)

Shanna | 43 comments Ruth wrote: "This is almost certainly not remotely what you had in mind, but when I go on holiday I like to read books that are set in the place where I’m staying.

I do this too! When I went to Alaska, I started Alaska but had to finish at home because whew! Michener is wordy!

Otherwise, I like to read short-story collections while on vacation, so if I am busy and don't get back to the book right away, I don't have to remember what is going on in the book to get back into it.

message 32: by Trike (new)

Trike Ruth wrote: "This is almost certainly not remotely what you had in mind, but when I go on holiday I like to read books that are set in the place where I’m staying. Eg, when I went to Malta I read "

I read The Darwin Elevator while I was in Darwin, Australia.

Not exactly the same, but after a day at Kakadu where it was over 100F (38C) I definitely felt like a zombie.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments Anna wrote: "Hmm, I think my perfect guilty pleasure read would be Romancing the Murderbot."

LOLOL

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 2207 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Haha MrsJ...Star Wars Science Non Fiction makes me think of Galaxy Quest lol
"

Now I do, too! LOL

Jacqueline wrote: "I don’t know about people who read Romance having more sexy time than those who don’t. A lot of people read it because they want that in their own lives but don’t get it. Daisy in Keeping Up Appearances springs to mind. She’s always reading bodice rippers because she can’t get Hubby to “perform”. I used to read it because my Mum had them and I used to raid her books. She used to read a lot of historical romances. I was more murder mysteries and SFF. Still am even though I do have a couple of historical romance books on my shelves at the moment. I have a little bit of everything on my bookshelves."

They did a study/survey once - IDK how accurate it was - and discovered that people who read Romance tend to be in long term relationships. Romance readers also have a higher rate of reading happiness than others, too. They said this was from the fact that reading allows you to experience emotions just as if you were present - and (decent/good) Romance revolves around love, happiness, problem solving and sex. You litterally leave a (good) Romance in a good mood. And a well written sex scene... well, I would extrapolate that the sexytimes tick upwards, too.

message 35: by Beth (new)

Beth (rosewoodpip) | 1685 comments Jordan wrote: "When I read on vacation I tend to read a lot of more involved books."

I'd love to say that my vacation policy matches Jordan's, but realistically, it's either something relatively simple like a YA, or something I want to make good progress on like a longer book or a buddy read. My most recent vacation (Christmas holiday) had me finishing one buddy read and getting a good ways through another. Too many buddy reads? Never!

message 36: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments I'm not a fan of the beach and my vacations are usually non-stop. I don't like sitting around when I go away, because I'm paying for the trip. I can read and relax at home for free. When I'm on vacation I annoy my family with non-stop activities so I can get my money's worth. Sometimes they want to kill me, but we get to have lots of adventures!

I certainly have guilty pleasure reading though. Not anything you'll find on Goodreads. I am a serious Fan Fiction reader. I don't admit it often and very rarely to anyone I know in real life. But hey, that's what makes it a guilty pleasure. (Hoping this is a safe space. lol) I have definitely read FF that is better than a lot of published books out there. I tend to read some when I finish a book, but before I start a new one. Or at night when I want to read something quick before bed. If I added up all the words of FF I read and all the words in the published books I read in a year, they probably equal out to about the same. (Which is why I don't feel guilty when I add a super short book or graphic novel to my reading challenge for the year. I definitely make up for the missing word count with what I read in FF.)

message 37: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

No shame! Last time I traveled, a friend sent me a fanfic to read. Read it for like 5 straight hours, resurfaced and said "I'm not sure I agree with the characters as portrayed..."

She was rightfully unconvinced ;-)

message 38: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 2285 comments For a 'light' read on a busy trip or vacation, I bring short stories. That way, if I get distracted and forget what was going on, I can just start over. And there are a lot of SF anthologies and collections available; I'm still working on paper copies that I had been collecting from secondhand stores.

But generally I find that a relaxing vacation is a good time to catch up on some the bigger or denser bricks or series. I'm really looking forward to the end of this very busy summer so I can finally read the complete Expendables series by James Alan Gardner. And of course some of the 'classics' that I want to read but just don't get around to, like Gulliver's Travels.

message 39: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 156 comments @Kristin I’m a fanfic reader too - there’s definitely no need to feel guilty or ashamed about it! There are many fanfics out there which are easily as good as, even better than, any professionally published work, and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.
Oh, and I counted My Immortal towards my reading challenge last year 😂

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments When packing vacation books - especially for flights and things - I do tend to bring maybe a new book or 2, and also some old favorites, just so I have some options.

There's nothing worse than a long flight if you're not into the book you're reading.

message 41: by Kristin B. (last edited May 26, 2018 12:16PM) (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Ruth wrote: "@Kristin I’m a fanfic reader too - there’s definitely no need to feel guilty or ashamed about it! There are many fanfics out there which are easily as good as, even better than, any professionally ..."

I wasn't even aware that you could find FanFiction on Goodreads. This is very amusing. I don't have the kind of time it would take to check if the stories I read have an entry. But it's a piece of information that I am happy to have in my life. :)

message 42: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 522 comments I don't really do beach holidays and my family tend to insist I pay them some attention so I normally read on flights (I can't read in cars and buses) and a couple of pages when I wake before everyone else.
I tend to take throwaway books so I am not upset if they get bashed going through security or in the luggage bin.
Also I don't want anything too good or I won't want to leave the room for sightseeing.

message 43: by Silvana (last edited May 27, 2018 06:12AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments My beach reads have been all buddy reads of the month :))

If somehow I run out of those I might pick some funny novels, or middle grade fantasy ones. Any recommendation aside from Percy Jackson novels (coz they're overrated)?

message 44: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Esther wrote: "I don't really do beach holidays and my family tend to insist I pay them some attention so I normally read on flights (I can't read in cars and buses) and a couple of pages when I wake before every..."

This whole comment made me lol

message 45: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Silvana wrote: "My beach reads have been all buddy reads of the month :))

If somehow I run out of those I might pick some funny novels, or middle grade fantasy ones. Any recommendation aside from Percy Jackson no..."

We had a lovely buddy read of the Tortall books by Tamora Pierce (starting with Alanna: The First Adventure). And I think sometime this summer the lot of us are planning on starting a Lynn Flewelling buddy read.

message 46: by Silvana (last edited May 27, 2018 07:55AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Allison wrote: "Silvana wrote: "My beach reads have been all buddy reads of the month :))

If somehow I run out of those I might pick some funny novels, or middle grade fantasy ones. Any recommendation aside from ..."

Thanks! And....apparently I have the first book of Lynn Fleweling in my wish list! I think it's because it has some archery in it; sometimes I forgot why I put books in there. Will try to join if possible :)

message 47: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1436 comments Allison wrote: "What's in your bag when you go to the beach ...What books do you know analytically aren't your usual, but enjoy anyways?"

In the bag is a large water bottle filled with Scottish iced tea. (Fill it with ice and then top it all off with the best Scotch you have on hand...sip all day...relax!)

I pretty much just read my normal stuff but one of the most memorable beach reads I had was outside my normal SF reading list: The Hippopotamus by Steven Fry. Wickedly funny.

message 48: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Silvana wrote: "apparently have the first book of Lynn Fleweling in my wish list! I think it's because it has some archery in it"

Yes, I remember recommending it to you for that reason.

Where have people been talking about reading Flewelling? In the Tortall thread? I haven't been reading it since you finished the first quartet, because I haven't read the later books. I'm trying to start the Tamir trilogy soon, so if that's going to be a buddy read that would be awesome!

message 49: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Anna wrote: "Silvana wrote: "apparently have the first book of Lynn Fleweling in my wish list! I think it's because it has some archery in it"

Yes, I remember recommending it to you for that reason.

Where hav..."

Cool, I'll add it to the buddy read thread in a few!

message 50: by Don (new)

Don Dunham Lenka, and John Grisham