Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

The House of Mirth
This topic is about The House of Mirth
The House of Mirth > June 2018- Book 1 (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlene (last edited May 23, 2018 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene Morris | 1278 comments Mod
This is the discussion topic for Book 1 which is the first part of The House of Mirth (Chapters 1 to 15).

Please no spoilers (use spoiler html if necessary). There will be a separate thread for entire book with spoilers.

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 376 comments I hope to start in the second week of June. :)

I should be starting either tonight or tomorrow after I finish my current book.

message 4: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 5 stars

☯Emily  Ginder | 1241 comments Mod
I hope everyone enjoys this book. I read it several years ago and it was the impetus to read much more of Wharton.

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 304 comments I read this last year. Did not enjoy it as much as The Age of Innocence. The main character was too close to home for me.

Mizzou | 177 comments Each time I've read Wharton, it has been interesting. She's good . . . . the only gripe I have ever had with her is that book of hers called The Mother's Recompense. Ugh. . . . I just hated thinking about a mother and her daughter in "love" with the same man. (And yes, I loathed the movie about "Mrs. Robinson", too!) I suppose I'm more puritanical than I'd like to admit.

message 7: by Lucinda (new) - added it

Lucinda (dewluca) I've started reading (via ebook version from Project Gutenberg). Tried listening to the librivox audiobook version, but kept falling asleep. Can't say I'm doing much better with the ebook, but I've read the first few chapters. Trying to remain sympathetic to the desparate need for a husband, but it's a stretch for me . . . (single and have lived on my own for over 30 years). On the other hand, I AM sympathetic to (view spoiler) (Not sure if that was actually much of a spoiler, but trying to label it anyway. Let me know if I did it wrong.)

message 8: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 5 stars

☯Emily  Ginder | 1241 comments Mod
Lucinda wrote: "I've started reading (via ebook version from Project Gutenberg). Tried listening to the librivox audiobook version, but kept falling asleep. Can't say I'm doing much better with the ebook, but I've..."

Remember during that time period many women were raised to be wives and mothers and nothing else. It was considered a disgrace to be unmarried.

message 9: by Lucinda (new) - added it

Lucinda (dewluca) Only for those of a certain class . . . to which Lily no longer belongs, only aspires. There are other characters in the book who have made other choices. (And perhaps I'm biased having just finished reading a novel from about the same time period about I whole family of single women.)

For now I'm trying to focus more on the language . . . which can be lovely, especially some of the detailed descriptions.

Compared to Age of Innocence, House of Mirth reads much slower. It is a much denser writing style.

Slowly getting through the first part. I wonder about Lily. She comes across as worldly and sophisticated but is so self involved. I don't think she even comprehends what is going on around her.

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 376 comments Just started & Lily fascinates me from the beginning.

message 13: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) I have read the first few chapters. It always takes me a long time to read Wharton as there's so much going on in her stories.

I can't help but think of gossip girl when I read Wharton. They must have definitely used Wharton for inspiration. I keep thinking about Lily Van Der Woodsen and... Bart Bass. I admit I binged watched that show when I was younger.

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 376 comments Finished Part 1. This is only my second Wharton.

I have seen the film version starring Gillian Anderson & although Anderson looked amazing in the part, I don't think she or the film got the whole complexity of Lily's character or the choices she was making.

Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Finished Part 1. This is only my second Wharton.

I have seen the film version starring Gillian Anderson & although Anderson looked amazing in the part, I don't think she or the film got the whole ..."

A lot of the book is in Lily's mind and unfortunately that will never translate well to film.

Mizzou | 177 comments Yes, Charlene! Once again, those who only "saw the movie" and didn't read the book missed out on . . . . shall I say a RICHER experience in becoming acquainted with Lily Bart.

message 17: by Lucinda (new) - added it

Lucinda (dewluca) Finally finished Part I. egads! Lily is so frustrating to me! I just want to throttle her. Thought I saw where pt 1 was heading but it didn't. Curious to see what happens in pt2.

message 18: by Lucinda (new) - added it

Lucinda (dewluca) Didn't realize there WAS a movie!

Lucinda wrote: "Finally finished Part I. egads! Lily is so frustrating to me! I just want to throttle her. Thought I saw where pt 1 was heading but it didn't. Curious to see what happens in pt2."

The shift between part 1 and part 2 made me feel like I had started another book.