Play Book Tag discussion

An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)
This topic is about An Imperfect Spy
Archive: Other Books > An Imperfect Spy by Amanda Cross 1 star

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1612 comments First off this is NOT a mystery. Nothing remotely resembling a mystery occurs in this book. Kate Fansler is a literature professor. Her husband Reed is teaching a law clinic at Schuyler law school and Kate decides to co-teach a law and literature class there for the semester. The book is essentially one long, boring case for feminism and how horribly women, at least in the 1990's, are treated at universities. The only vague hints of a mystery are that the only female teacher at the school was run over by a bus but this is quickly shown to be an accident. There are lots of random references to John Le Carre's books for no particular reason.
The whole law and literature class was ridiculous. Kate and her co-teacher Blair don't decide on the date and time for the class until the week ahead of time let alone what the class will be covering. A student randomly beats up Blair during class and Kate is not sure what they should do about it, how about report the student the police for assault and have him expelled from school. Nope, all she does is think Blair is sexy for beating the student up in return, gag. Kate also annoyed me because she thinks it's fine to cheat on her husband but gets extremely jealous when another woman flirts with him. I only finished this book because it is short and I thought something eventually must happen, I was wrong NOTHING happens. I'll definitely be avoiding this author in the future.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments OMG! LOL! I love horrible reviews. Sorry you wasted your time on reading this book, but thanks for spending a little time writing this review.

I can safely say that I will NOT be reading it.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I just looked at the book's page and it is the ELEVENTH in a series! Sounds painful.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9343 comments We all love the hilarious negative reviews. For our amusement, why the title An imperfect Spy?

Rachel N. | 1612 comments Amy wrote: "We all love the hilarious negative reviews. For our amusement, why the title An imperfect Spy?"
Le Carre wrote a book The Perfect Spy so I assume it's supposed to be a play off of that title. One character in the book is obsessed with Le Carre but otherwise this book has nothing in common with Le Carre's book.