Mystery Madness discussion

Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1)
This topic is about Her Royal Spyness
Whodunits Book Club > 9/18 Whodunits Pick: Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited May 23, 2018 05:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 335 comments Mod
This will be our discussion thread for Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen which is the first book in the series by the same name. I have not read this book yet, but it was recommended by one of our local library staff members. This is a historical cozy mystery set in the UK.
If you have read this book already, please chat about it here. If you want to read along with the book club and have your comments shared at the meeting, please post them by September 13th at 2pm EDST.
Her Royal Spyness

Bookworm with a Witchface (dianablackmoon) I love this series. Maybe because the silly, troubles-don't-exist mother is so much like my own and it triggered my mummy issues. Or maybe because it portrays the royal family and posh surrounding so freely and with English humour I really like? I listen to the audiobooks and they were gorgeous, voiced by Katherine Kellgren.

message 3: by Di (new) - added it

Di (disis19) | 732 comments Mod
Oh, I think I'll jump in on this one. It's been sitting on my shelf unread for too long ^-^

Klaudia wrote: "I love this series. Maybe because the silly, troubles-don't-exist mother is so much like my own and it triggered my mummy issues. Or maybe because it portrays the royal family and posh surrounding ..."

You definitely make it sound fun! I'm getting excited about this one.

Di wrote: "Oh, I think I'll jump in on this one. It's been sitting on my shelf unread for too long ^-^"

That would be great Di! I hope you don't mind that some of these selections are cozy. I'm not trying to compete with #Book1CoziesClub, but the local members wanted to pick a mix of cozy and gritty. Since you mentioned that you might start picking quarterly instead of monthly, it will probably work out okay.

I just finished Her Royal Spyness this morning in time for my in-real-life book club that meets later today. I really enjoyed it. I loved the royalty aspect of it. I thought that the story flowed really well and the language was really easy to read (except for the crazy pronunciation of certain names) ie. Featherstonehaugh pronounced "Fan-shaw?" Really?? LOL!
Coincidentally, they read this book earlier this summer in Courtny's (The Courtagonist) Cozy Mystery Book club and so I watched their discussion video after I finished the book. They were talking about the fact that the murder doesn't happen until almost halfway through the book and it made Courtny not enjoy the book. I noticed that, but it didn't really bother me. I was already so engaged with the characters at that point, that I was just enjoying the story.
Has anyone else read this? If you want to comment about it within the next couple of hours, then I will be able to read your comments at our meeting.