Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Another book list

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I just read about this new book list. What do you all think?

http://www.shelf-awareness.com/max-is...

message 2: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments I’m curious to see the book choices.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments This sounds like another list I’m gonna have to look at!

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Also interesting that it has essentially the same title as the boxall book but no acknowledgment of this list

message 5: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments I was surprised at how close the title was.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 166 comments Very interesting that the book has the same title and does not credit its predecessor. I'm guessing that the company purchased the rights to "1000 blank Before You Die", and maybe they can do with it what they want?

message 7: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments It’s technically different because it’s not 1001. So I think they are just separate franchises.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Chinook wrote: "It’s technically different because it’s not 1001. So I think they are just separate franchises."

Agree.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 166 comments Chinook wrote: "It’s technically different because it’s not 1001. So I think they are just separate franchises."

Ahh, good catch!

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments Hmm.. it says that it includes plays, children’s books, and cultural criticism- this is ‘an invitation to explore’, as opposed to 1001 books, which is looking for important development in the novel.
It seems that this list may contain books that are more accessible.
Now I’m even more curious. And it’s not out until October.

message 11: by Kristel (last edited May 24, 2018 03:37AM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4265 comments Mod
Question, he is using the same title (with the add on), does this mean it is an offically sanctioned new edition with a twist?

It confuses me?

What do you mean it is not 1001. There isn't 1001 books? or is the title a bit different so it isn't 1001. Has anyone actually looked at the book?. The Index that is shown is a special index and may not be complete?

I like that it is alphabetical. I don't like that it won't mesh up with what we already use as our "list".

message 12: by Liz M (last edited May 24, 2018 04:36AM) (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Kristel wrote: "Question, he is using the same title (with the add on), does this mean it is an offically sanctioned new edition with a twist? ..."

No, it is a different list in the same way that "Guardian's 1000 novels everyone must read" is a different list. It has a more similar title, but there are two distinct publishing companies publishing two separate series of 100x to ____ Before You Die.

A) 1000 (not 1001) is produced by Workman Publishing Co., with offices in NYC, Chapel Hill, and Portland, OR. I own their 1,000 Places to See Before You Die.
1,000 Places to See Before You Die by Patricia Schultz . 1,000 Foods To Eat Before You Die A Food Lover's Life List by Mimi Sheraton . 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die by Tom Moon
It looks like this new list of books is set to be published in October 2018.

B) 1001 is published by Octopus Publishing Group and appears to be UK based.
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall . 1001 Restaurants You Must Experience Before You Die by Jenny Linford . 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die by Robert Dimery

message 13: by Kristel (new)

Thanks, so obvious now that you pointed it out.

message 14: by Liz M (last edited May 24, 2018 04:39AM) (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Kristel wrote: "Thanks, so obvious now that you pointed it out."

It does seem odd that the title is almost exactly same, except "our" list has one more book!

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 220 comments It sounds like a really interesting book.

message 16: by Kristel (new)

I’ve looked at this series and wasn’t that impressed.

message 17: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments Our list is also “must read” where this new book is “to read”.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I’d want to see the whole list, but there is a link to special indexes and I liked that they separated them into “read in a sitting room”, “12 to read before age 12” etc.

message 19: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 356 comments It will be interesting to see the list when it gets out.

message 20: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 166 comments I pre-ordered it on Kindle . . .looks like it will be fun to browse.