You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > Yugoslavian war - fiction

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jul 30, 2014 06:01AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15363 comments I just came back from a trip to the Balkans and I would be interested in learning more about the war that took place there in the 90s, beyond the basics that I already know. I find that my preferred way of learning about these sort of events is through (historical) fiction, so I was wondering if any of you know of any fictional books set during the Yugoslav wars. I'm mostly looking for books that are relatively easy reads (in terms of writing, not content) and that paint a good picture of what was going on and the impact it had on the people. Thanks! :)

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Did you have a great time? I did the same thing when I came back from Croatia, trying to find some books that cover the period. I didn't come across anything that really jumped out at me other than one book which I had already read which was The Cellist of Sarajevo. I really liked the book. Looking forward to seeing if anyone else has any good recommendations.

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15363 comments Yes, it was fantastic :) I have The Cellist of Sarajevo on my TBR, I should find some time to read it soon!

message 4: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jul 30, 2014 04:57AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments I haven't read it, and it possibly would be a very hard read, but S. maybe?

People of the Book parts of that may help too.

message 5: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15363 comments Thanks Rusalka! S. does indeed seem to be a hard read in terms of content, but that's okay. With the 'easy' books I was more referring to writing style (not looking for 900-page, dry, dragging books) than story.

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jul 30, 2014 05:56AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Oh. I didn't even see you asked for "relatively easy reads"! I was just remarking as I would find the content hard to stomach at times. Heh I need to pay more attention.

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Just been looking on some book blogs and stumbled across Rose of Sarajevo which hasn't been released yet - end of August release by the looks of it. Could be interesting if the romance aspect isn't too full on! I've added it to my wishlist.

message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15363 comments Thanks Sarah! I added it too :)

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Me too :)

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I just had Rose of Sarajevo approved on NetGalley Peggy so perhaps we could buddy read it at some point?!?

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15363 comments Yay Sarah! And yes, I would love to buddy read it :)

I do plan to read it soonish though (it's my first NetGalley book and I'm excited to get started ;-)), like end of this month or in the first half of september.

message 12: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Sounds good to me. It's quite short by the looks of it - 270 pages. I'd like to do it soon too while the recent trip to the region is still fresh in my mind!

message 13: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15363 comments Awesome! How about Friday the 29th? (very random date, any other day is fine for me too).

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Why not?! It's as good a day as any to start.

message 15: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15363 comments Great :) I'll make a buddy read thread for us.