The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Important Items > Polls: August/September Group Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2014 03:03PM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Nominations: July 30 - Aug 1
Nominations closed early because of overcrowding!!
;-) not a problem really ...

Will let you know about the voting soon.

Voting : Aug 1 - Aug 8
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 2: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 30, 2014 04:34AM) (new)

Here we are Mystery fans!! It's time for nominations again!!

Nominations are now open for the August/September 2014 group read starting today and ending August 5. Voting will run from August 6 through August 13.

General rules for Group Reads

1) Important: If your nomination wins, you will be the discussion moderator.

2) One (1) nomination only per person. Neither self-nominations by authors nor nominations by their respective publishers or publicist will be accepted.

3) Do not cheat or manipulate results. It is not acceptable to create fake accounts to nominate books or vote in polls and it is not acceptable to invite people to the site for the sole purpose of nominating a book or voting for a book in a poll. It is not acceptable to ask for votes or influence the poll in any way. If the moderators feel that a group read poll has been manipulated, the book in question will be disqualified. If the moderators feel that the user(s) are fake accounts, these will be reported to Goodreads for further review.

4) Please do not repeat an author we have read in the last year. Check the bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year.

5) For your nomination please include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

6) Since we are an international group, please check to make sure the book is readily available in more than one format. The last thing we want is to nominate a book that no one can get.

7) Finally, a word about series - Please consider whether the book you are nominating would be best read by someone who has read all the previous books in the series, or if it can be enjoyed by someone new to the series too.

Have fun and good luck!!

message 3: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2014 01:48AM) (new)

List of Nominations:

Lost Girls by Robert Kolker (Athena)
Burglars Can't Be Choosers by Lawrence Block (Michele)
Dead Simple by Peter James (Simon)
Birdman by Mo Hayder (Autumn)
Private L.A. by James Patterson (Carole)
Deadly Rich by Edward Stewart (Garry)
Vanished by Joseph Finder (Dee)
Black Dog by Stephen Booth (Katherine)
The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo (Ashish)
Death in Vienna by Frank Tallis (Georgia)
Death Never Sleeps by EJ Simon (Andrea)
The Farm by Tom Rob Smith (Nancy)
River of Darkness by Rennie Airth (Ron)
Between Summer's Longing ... by Lief Persson (Scott)
Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (Bonnie)
?Light of the Diddicoy?
Shadow Man by Cody McFadyen (Joanna)
The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler (Bill)
The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen (Stephen)
Borkmann's Point by Håkan Nesser (stinasig)
Mr Mercedes by Stephen King (nadia)
The Summer of Dead Toys by Antonio Hill (Mary)

message 4: by Athena Shardbearer (last edited Jul 30, 2014 03:36AM) (new)

message 6: by OddModicum Rachel (last edited Jul 30, 2014 04:17AM) (new)

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 36 comments New here. Hey, everyone! Might I ask, is it traditional for the nominator to have already read (and loved) the book they nominate, or is better if they're experiencing it for first time, too, and pick something they're excited about from 'to be read' pile?

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele I don't think it matters, but you do lead the discussion if your book is chosen, so having already read it might be helpful.

message 8: by Simon (new)

Simon Dead Simple (Roy Grace, #1) by Peter James by Peter James !

message 9: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 30, 2014 04:43AM) (new)

Hi Rachel, welcome!
it can go either way. Some people nominate old favorites, and some nominate things that are on their own TBR (to be read) lists. Your choice.

But you will be the moderator for the discussion (if your book wins, I mean), so you need to be a few steps ahead of the crowd.

The important thing is to have fun :-)

ETA: oops... Michele and I were cross posting! Thanks Michele!!

message 11: by Carole (new)

Carole Harris | 3 comments I nominate LA Private by James Patterson.

Carole

message 12: by Simon (new)

Simon Carole wrote: "I nominate LA Private by James Patterson.

Carole"

I was planning to nominate Private too!

message 14: by Carole (new)

Carole Harris | 3 comments Simon wrote: "Carole wrote: "I nominate LA Private by James Patterson.

Carole"
I was planning to nominate Private too!"

awesome!

message 15: by Garry (last edited Jul 30, 2014 05:05AM) (new)

Garry | 17 comments I nominate Deadly Richby Edward Stewart.

message 16: by Dee (last edited Jul 30, 2014 05:06AM) (new)

Dee Waite (deeannwaite) | 4 comments Vanished (Nick Heller, #1) by Joseph Finder I'd go with Vanished by Joseph Finder. Vanished

message 17: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (madlibn) | 22 comments I nominate Black Dog (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #1) by Stephen Booth by Stephen Booth.

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Marx | 36 comments I loved Death Never Sleeps by EJ Simon. It's sequel Death Logs In due Sept. 2014 I think. Great, different and terrific

OddModicum Rachel (oddmodicumrachel) | 36 comments thanks, guys! I think I'll stick to voting this time, play along, then nominate in the future. BTW, can we only vote for one of these when time comes? Man... some great ones! (promise I'll shut up now... thanks for helping my noob self)

message 20: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Yes... you can only vote for one, sorry Rachel ;-)

and not to worry... we were all newbies, once upon a time!

message 21: by Ashish (last edited Jul 30, 2014 09:09AM) (new)

Ashish (ashish_verma) | 3 comments The Redbreast (Harry Hole, #3) by Jo Nesbø

Nordic fiction has always intrigued me. May be those who want to experience the chilling trip can give it a start with The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo.

ISBN - 184343217X (ISBN13: 9781843432173)

message 22: by Diptanjan (new)

Diptanjan Sarma Purkayastha (goodreadscomnightwalker) | 32 comments I would like to nominate The Silkworm . It's the second book in the Cormoran Strike series, but the first one has already been read by this group as a group read, so I'm guessing that shouldn't be a problem?

message 23: by Scott (new)

Scott Parsons | 34 comments I would also nominate The SilkwormThe Silkworm

Scott

message 24: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 536 comments One of Frank Tallis' books. A Death in Vienna

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments The Silkworm doesn't qualify, sorry. Can't be read as a group read until next year. Because we don't repeat authors in the same year.

The first book was read Jan/Feb this year.

message 27: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Deep wrote: "I would like to nominate The Silkworm . It's the second book in the Cormoran Strike series, but the first one has already been read by this group as a group read, so I'm guessing th..."

I can't accept your nomination, Deep, I'm sorry. Rule 4 says that we can't repeat an author in the calendar year. We read Galbraith back in February.

Would you like to nominate another?

message 28: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "I loved Death Never Sleeps by EJ Simon. It's sequel Death Logs In due Sept. 2014 I think. Great, different and terrific"

Is that your nomination, Andrea?

Death Never Sleeps

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary (mjbookaddict) | 2 comments I'll vote for The Redbreast please. I really like Nesbo's work.

message 30: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8600 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate The Farmby Tom Rob Smith.

message 31: by Ron (new)

message 32: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Mary wrote: "I'll vote for The Redbreast please. I really like Nesbo's work."

We're still nominating, Mary. You can vote next week after the poll gets set up.

message 33: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 771 comments Autumn wrote: "Birdman by Mo Hayder Birdman by Mo Hayder"

Maybe one day you, me, or Nancy will win the group read for this book. I nominated it two months ago and Nancy did it last month. :)

message 34: by Scott (new)

Scott Ivlow (scottinwinterhaven) | 208 comments I nominate Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End. The third book was released this year and available at the Winter Haven Library. I want to read the first one first.

message 35: by Bonnie (last edited Jul 30, 2014 07:13PM) (new)

Bonnie | 5 comments I nominate
Heartsick by Chelsea Cain Heartsick

message 36: by Joanna Marie (last edited Jul 30, 2014 07:44PM) (new)

Joanna Marie (joannacapats) I nominate Shadow Man by Cody McFadyen Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1) by Cody McFadyen

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate Tripwire By Lee Child

message 38: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5415 comments Mod
I'll nominate The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler.

message 39: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 87 comments I will nominate The Keeper of Lost Causes, the first book in a series that I believe is the closest to Stieg Larsson books.

message 40: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) | 374 comments Jannene wrote: "Autumn wrote: "Birdman by Mo Hayder Birdman by Mo Hayder"

Maybe one day you, me, or Nancy will win the group read for this book. I nominated it two months ago an..."

I know! This has been on my TBR list for forever! You could be the moderator, that does not matter to me, I just want an excuse to have to buckle down and read it! :)

message 41: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Sarah wrote: "Light of the Diddicoy
I nominate "Light of the Diddicoy." A fantastic book about living in Brooklyn circa 1916 on the waterfront that Eugene O'Neill and Elia Kazan wrote about. The ..."

Is this the right genre, Sarah? I don't know the book, but from reading the blurb it looks more like a family saga, or historical fiction.

message 42: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 31, 2014 02:29AM) (new)

I may have to close the nominations early...

wow so many good choices!

but I think 20 are enough. I will leave it to the end of this evening.

message 43: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Jacob wrote: "I nominate Tripwire By Lee Child"

Can't take your nomination, Jacob.
See rule 4 above.
We read Lee Child in March of this year.

Would you like ot nominate another?

message 44: by Stinasig (new)

Stinasig | 1 comments Borkmann's Point (Inspector Van Veeteren #2)
by Håkan Nesser

message 45: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Garner | 4 comments I'll second First Night of Summer

message 46: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (nadthepod) | 20 comments Mr Mercedes by Stephen King.

message 47: by Bob (new)

Bob Berry (sizeonehead) | 27 comments OddModicum Rachel wrote: "thanks, guys! I think I'll stick to voting this time, play along, then nominate in the future. BTW, can we only vote for one of these when time comes? Man... some great ones! (promise I'll shut up ..."

I am dumb. Where do I second a nomination and/or vote. Absolutely nothing about this site makes any sense to me. Please help.

message 48: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 771 comments Bob wrote: "OddModicum Rachel wrote: "thanks, guys! I think I'll stick to voting this time, play along, then nominate in the future. BTW, can we only vote for one of these when time comes? Man... some great on..."

You don't have to second a vote on this thread. Nominations look like they will close tonight which means the poll should go up tomorrow. You will be able to vote by hitting the hyperlink that says polls on the right hand side upper page.

message 49: by Mary (new)

Mary (mjbookaddict) | 2 comments Loved so many of the previously read books. I'd like to nominate The Summer of Dead Toys by Antonio Hill.The Summer of Dead Toys

message 50: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2014 01:49AM) (new)

Bob wrote: "OddModicum Rachel wrote: "thanks, guys! I think I'll stick to voting this time, play along, then nominate in the future. BTW, can we only vote for one of these when time comes? Man... some great on..."

Seconding is not required, and we are not voting yet (see message #1)
[I haven't decided yet if I'm going to close the nominating early... sorry]

OK 21 nominations should do it... so I am closing the thread.
I will set up the poll later today and will let you all know when we are voting.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.