Looking for good books/ Shows/ movies discussion

BOOKS > Storylines you are sick of?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by EndlessPages (new)

EndlessPages (liv_readsx) | 266 comments Mod
What are storylines that you are sick of or you feel are overused!

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara Eames | 14 comments One that is overused at the moment is:

"I will open a florists/cake shop/bakery/bookshop - which will be an immediate success. Oh, look, someone's been murdered, I am obviously the best person to solve this case because of my shop...I am much better than the police." (The main character then goes on to solve the crime and beat the police at their own game.)

The only reason I find this overused is that I read a lot of cosy crime, and this idea tends to be the main one used.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark (markhousley) | 16 comments Here's the opposite question, Liv, what storylines can you not get enough of?

Getting tired of is different than your hated storylines- can't think of any for me right now!

message 4: by Maya (new)

Maya (thecrimetime) I can’t get enough of unstable female narrators and psychologically abusive husbands where the female kicks some serious a** :)

message 5: by EndlessPages (new)

Mark wrote: "Here's the opposite question, Liv, what storylines can you not get enough of?

Getting tired of is different than your hated storylines- can't think of any for me right now!"

I'm obsessed with kingdom stories atm so Kings, Queens royalty all that jazz

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) Once upon a time and happily ever after.

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) It is in every fairy tale.

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark (markhousley) | 16 comments Well, that's a remarkably specific storyline! I like one with objects of great power being found or the very beginnings of an apocalypse :)

message 9: by Creative Orange (last edited May 23, 2018 05:35PM) (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) I agree with you Mark. Have you read any books with apocalypse theme?

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (bibbidi_bobbidi_books) I'm actually so over princes and princesses.
Why do like, ALL fantasies have to have someone royal?
You can't throw a rock without hitting a secret/lost heiress.

I can't get enough of rag-tag teams! Weird groups that become inseparable are my jam.

message 12: by Beza (new)

Beza Addis | 4 comments I love the rag tag group of friends or enemies (Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom are my fav. but there are so many other examples) that do something for a cause, but I also love the royalty drama and badassery of so many female characters.

The one plot I do despise is the bad boy and the good girl love story. I think I’ve read enough of those to last me two lifetimes.

message 13: by EndlessPages (last edited May 23, 2018 08:58PM) (new)

Beza wrote: "I love the rag tag group of friends or enemies (Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom are my fav. but there are so many other examples) that do something for a cause, but I also love the royalty drama and b..."

The group in six of crows just works so well!

But yeah good girl falling for bad boy is very overdone

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna (bibbidi_bobbidi_books) Beza wrote: "The one plot I do despise is the bad boy and the good girl love story. I think I’ve read enough of those to last me two lifetimes. "

Yeah, I'm also tired of oblivious girls being taught about the world by guys only a year or two older than them.
Plays into the whole "girls are inherently innocent" thing.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather W | 7 comments Insta-love
Love triangles
Strong women who still need to be matched with a man in order to be fulfilled and it becomes central to the plot

message 16: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) Mark wrote: "Station Eleven
The Stand
Dunno if you are into zombies, but:
Code Z: An Undead Hospital Anthology
Rise Again
The Passage
..."

They seem like really good books, I might check some of them out. I think I have read a few of them.

message 17: by Creative Orange (last edited May 24, 2018 01:28AM) (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) Anna wrote:

I'm actually so over princes and princesses.
Why do like, ALL fantasies have to have someone royal?
You can't throw a rock without hitting a secret/lost heiress.

I can't get enough of rag-tag teams! Weird groups that become inseparable are my jam..

I don't mind princes and princesses but somehow we need it for every book even my favourites non-fiction and science books. If you want to know the Royal Family are not allowed to have shellfish as a rule and apparently every time the queen stops eating everyone must stop eating.

I love fantasy books but there are a lot with the royals in them. Kind of had enough with them. However not all fantasy books have them just a few of them.

I don't have any knowledge of rag-tags. Could you explain me about this? Do we have rag-tag groups in Goodreads? I like drama but I don't like it if royals are involved, There are a lot of clichés.

message 18: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) Heather wrote: "Insta-love
Love triangles
Strong women who still need to be matched with a man in order to be fulfilled and it becomes central to the plot"

I can deal with insta-love and love triangles. But why can't there be where be more drama than the frilly prissy bits?

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna (bibbidi_bobbidi_books) Rumell wrote: "I don't have any knowledge of rag-tags. Could you explain me about this? Do we have rag-tag groups in Goodreads? I like drama but I don't like it if royals are involved, There are a lot of clichés."

Rag-tag teams are like a miss-matched group of people, a lot of the time criminals or misfits, who come together for different reasons and become close friends/ family.
Like, Guardians of the Galaxy I would consider a rag-tag group.
Or like Beza said, Six of Crows.

And I don't hate Princes/Princesses, I've just had enough of them in all the fantasy books I've read.
Name of the Wind was a nice change of pace.

message 20: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) Thanks for the information. I have to be honest I don't do much role-plays in group. All I do is just create characters and that's it. I will check out those group to see what it is like.

I get you. They basically have to be in every story. I think I have read that book.