What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
This topic is about The Name of the Wind
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fantasy: blonde girl lives alone in walls and sewers of city. Spinoff of larger epic series. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I started reading this series in the early 2010's, and dropped it because the author didn't have any more written. Now it's been years, and I know it's a somewhat popular series, but I can't for the life of me find what it is.

In the last few years, the author wrote a spinoff book about one character in the series, some kind of mysterious homeless girl with floating long blonde hair who lives in the castle-esque city and swims in the sewers. I didn't get this book, and even the author writes a long preface about how it won't be good for a lot of people.

The main series has some kind of young, strapping lad type main character who goes on a fairly boilerplate, but readably fun, epic journey. I remember there was some kind of covered wagon, and I think maybe he steals things.

In the main series, which was at least two books at the time, the main character guy ends up doing well and has a good position with some king or other, but then he messes it up for a silly reason and is sort of banished, so goes on another epic journey. I remember he ends up getting stuck in some kind of fairy realm where he has a lot of sex with a fairy woman, I think for months on end. This part of the story dragged.

The character also encounters a village of super-duper fighters, and they say they won't train him, but then they train him, and he ends up sleeping with his hot blonde fighting teacher. Again, for awhile. I just remember his descriptions of how she was an "older woman" because she was "in her early 30's or late 20's" and had slight eye wrinkles, and even as a much younger person I thought that was ridiculous.

At some point, his sidekick might be a brunette faun who somehow hides the fact that he is a faun, and he is attractive? The faun works in a tavern. But this might be an entirely different series. If anyone knows that one, please tell me what it is, too.

I'm hoping someone can help with the name of it, as it is driving me nuts not being able to find it. I think the author was in hot water with fans for not writing fast enough, and I think part of that was that he had a baby, because I remember him posting photos of his baby and people were like, that's great, but please finish this series.

Emily | 12 comments Sounds like the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss - the two current books in the series are The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear, and the spinoff story that you're talking about is The Slow Regard of Silent Things.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just came back to post it, because somehow after days it came to me out of nowhere, and you are right--Name of the Wind! Geeze, what a relief.

Thank you, Emily!