What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Murder mystery on an island. Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candy Jones (new)

Candy Jones | 2 comments I remember reading the paperback in the 80's about a female author going to an island to write the perfect murder mystery. I think the book switches from the point of view of the author and 2 of her charactors- a brother and sister trying to find the killer among their group. It reminds me of Christie's "And then there were none" but at the end the author gets back on the boat to the mainland and never writes again. I think the "real" author was female also and i think the fourth wall is broken near the end

message 2: by Kris (last edited May 27, 2018 02:19PM) (new)

Kris | 36565 comments Mod
Candy, that's an interesting plot. Is this book for young adults (teens) or older adults?

Can you tell us more about the main characters - ages of brother and sister, is the female author famous or just starting off, who's on the island and what's their relationship to each other, why are they on the island, etc.? Is there a detective, police officer or private investigator?

Time period and location - off the U.S. east/west coast, Caribbean, etc.?

message 3: by Candy Jones (new)

Candy Jones | 2 comments It was for adults, the sibling were possibly in their 20's. I'm thinking it was either set in up towards New England. I think the author in the book was trying to write her first mystery, she had someone drop her off by boat with supplies for either a couple of weeks or a month. The siblings in the story were possibly living off a trust fund, i dont think they had jobs, and were hosting some kind party for their friends and they were being murdered one by one. I think this was the only book by this author. I want to say it was set in 20's but i maybe confusing that with Christie's book.

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5055 comments Naked Once More Naked Once More (Jacqueline Kirby, #4) by Elizabeth Peters fits the description a little.

Was this part of a series?
Anything about the cover?

message 5: by K.L. (new)

K.L. | 72 comments Sounds interesting! I hope you find it - definitely sounds like it's worth a read

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36565 comments Mod
Here are the Google Books previews for...

- Naked Once More by Elizabeth Peters (Tab's suggestion) - https://books.google.com/books?id=zeH... There are different cover images.

- An Old-Fashioned Mystery by Runa Fairleigh (Ayshe's suggestion) - https://books.google.com/books?id=VRE... There are different cover images.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40644 comments Mod
Candy Jones, are you still looking for this or did you find it?