Danske Læsere / Danmark discussion

Anbefalinger og efterspørgelser > Danish history and culture

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 5 comments I am looking for books about Denmark that are set in the mid to late 1800s. My ancestors emigrated from Aarhus to Australia in 1885 and I want to learn about the Danish culture, people and historical events to gain an understanding of their lifestyle and country. Can you recommend anything?

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 4 comments 'Vredens børn/children of wrath' by Jeppe Aakjær would be a good choise, I think.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 5 comments Thank you. I will try to find a copy of this book.

message 4: by Henrik (new)

Henrik Rostoft (henrikrostoft) | 7 comments Look for books by Herman Bang

message 5: by T. S. (new)

T. S. Larsen | 3 comments 1864 is a book about a war in 1864, they even made a show about it. Though I heard pretty mixed reviews.

message 6: by Birgit (new)

Birgit Kastepold (dugmark) | 12 comments If you would learn about todays life in Aarhus, you can read Elsebeth Egholm series with Dicte. Or you're more into historics?

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda | 5 comments Birgit wrote: "If you would learn about todays life in Aarhus, you can read Elsebeth Egholm series with Dicte. Or you're more into historics?"
Thanks Birgit but I'm mainly interested in finding out about the place at the time my ancestors lived there in the 1800s.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda | 5 comments Henrik wrote: "Look for books by Herman Bang"
Thank you Henrik, this seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda | 5 comments Trine wrote: "1864 is a book about a war in 1864, they even made a show about it. Though I heard pretty mixed reviews."
Sounds interesting - hopefully I can find an english translation.

message 10: by Henrik (new)

Henrik Rostoft (henrikrostoft) | 7 comments Great, glad to be able to help.