What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fantasy paperback, consists of warring nations fighting with medieval weapons

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Johnson | 2 comments I apologize if the details are lacking in this post. I read this book in 2010 when I made a stop in Djibouti on a deployment. The book was easily several hundred pages long.

The book was part of a series, the most distinct feature I can remember is there was a boy that was part of a tribe that lived only at sea, it was forbidden to touch land. Anyone that did touch land faced banishment from the tribe. He was about to reach manhood when their sea goddess told him that he needed to break from the tribe and walk on land.

His purpose was to help one of the heroes of the story, who was attempting to unite some of the nations against impending doom, and was failing miserably as the nations refused to cooperate. The boy didn't want to but he left his tribe to help, and his only weapon was an oarlike weapon common among his tribe.

I believe the hero of the story had a seer tell him that there was a boy coming to aid him, and he knew that he used a strange oarlike weapon. The hero was also facing attacks from assassins, and I believe there was one nation that would not unite because there was a woman that despised him.

I am sorry for the lack of details. This book has eluded me for so long, if anyone has any idea what I am talking about I would be so grateful. I have searched for years, every search engine or attempt to find the book has ended in failure.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36583 comments Mod
Ben, did the main characters have special powers? Are there fantasy creatures (e.g., dragons)?

Why was it important to unite the nations/tribes?

Can you tell us more about the main character - king/general/soldier, special skills, weapons, leadership style, etc.?

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Johnson | 2 comments Kris,

From what I recall there may have been magic involved, but I cannot remember how common it was. I want to say it was rare to find magic, but can't say for sure. I believe there were dragons, but I think it was more they were hidden creatures that people rarely saw.

Uniting the people was important because there was an oppressive nation that was destroying everything. I can't remember if there was a specific figurehead, only that the nations were steadily falling to them due to a lack of cooperation.

I'm sorry I can't say more about the main character, I remember he had a strong group of friends that were all adept warriors, but I can't remember any specific weaponry or skills used.

Thanks for the questions and showing interest, I've pretty much given up hope on ever finding this series, but this place is giving me hope.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40644 comments Mod
Ben, are you still looking for this or did you find it?