What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fiction - young woman gets pregnant by guy from wealthy family, gives birth in a convent (60s maybe?), but then adopts own child

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments Hey,

This has been bugging me for a few years now. I read this book about ten years ago, and the bits I remember could be wrong, but here goes nothing.

There's a young woman living with her parents somewhere in England or possibly Ireland. She gets close to a man from a local wealthy family, and they have sex a few times using the pulling out method. Only one time they're having sex outside and there's a hunt going on, and somehow a shot fired close by leads to the guy not pulling out in time.
When the woman find out she's pregnant she goes to the guy's house, but I guess he wasn't there because she ends up leaving a note for him with his (step?)mum and of course she never gives it to him.
She tries to hide her pregnancy for as long as possible, and then goes to a convent to have her baby there and give it up for adoption. She goes there by train, and is suffering from morning sickness, that's a scene I remember.
The nuns are actually not horrible, as I expected. The woman has her daughter and goes back to her family, but misses the child so much she legally adopts her, with the help of her parents (they are suspecting something). She doesn't tell her daughter, however.
Later on she marries another guy and they have a son, I think. And for some reason that guy committs suicide, but then baby daddy number 1 reappears.

Any ideas?

message 2: by Tadgh (new)

Tadgh | 28 comments For your thread title, do you mean the setting was in the 60s but was published more recently, or that the book itself was made in the 60s? Or, do you suspect that early based on the plot although there's no clear mention of time period?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40658 comments Mod
Lisa, are you still looking for this or did you find it?